Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > South
Reload this Page >

Experience with "Famous" New Orleans Restaurants

Old Dec 12, 2002, 2:44 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA, UA, WN, HH, Marriott

Not being from N.O. my experiences are limited and I would very much like to see others add their opinions.

Emeril's - outstanding
Bayona - very good
Mr. B's Bistro - OK

Cafe du Monde - in a class by itself
Old Dec 13, 2002, 11:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by JerryFF:
Cafe du Monde - in a class by itself</font>
Don't know if you're being sincere or facetious but I've had good "beignets" and collapsed overfried ones on consecutive visits.
Old Dec 13, 2002, 7:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
Arnaud's - Fine but over-rated.
NOLA - Spectacular on my first visit, merely very good on the second.

[This message has been edited by swag (edited 12-13-2002).]
Old Dec 14, 2002, 11:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Dookie Chase - don't bother
Magnolia Grill - same
Praline Connection - same
Old Jan 30, 2003, 10:48 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA, UA, WN, HH, Marriott
Anything new to add?
Old Feb 9, 2003, 10:58 am

Programs: DL PM, WN, SC, various other programs of lowly status
Add Lilette, Gautreau's, Peristyle, Clancy's, Brigsten's, Dante's Kitchen (especially for Sunday brunch-great egg dishes.)

Old Feb 14, 2003, 3:47 pm
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: Marriott Employee Level
Went to Emeril's one night last time we were in the Crescent City. Had the Degustations menu, which was a sampling of about 12 different courses. It was good, but Mrs. Starwood Lurker ended up with a very long hair on her plate, which mortified the wait-staff, naturally. To make up for it, they gave her a dessert of her choice for free. I was just amazed at the class she displayed during the whole episode.

The next night we went to NOLA in the Quarter. Unfortunately, the Mrs. was not feeling that well, but went along anyway to humor me. I had the double pork chop and I think she had the tenderloin of beef. Both were very good.

It seems that whenever you go to one of his restaurants, you should probably expect to wait for a time even if you have a reservation.

We also went to the Magnolia Grill, which is a real hole-in-the-wall type diner located within a shotgun style house. It has a line two blocks long to get in, so you figure out if it's good or not.

Next time we go, we're headed to Brennan's and may give Delmonico's a try if we have the time and money.

Also, we didn't make it to Mother's even though it was right next to the W New Orleans where we stayed. The line there was also circling around the block. No wonder. They advertise the best ham sandwiches anywhere. Will have to make that a must-do next time as well.

Agree that Cafe du Mond is a must-do anytime you're in New Orleans. Also, don't forget to go by the Central Grocery and buy a jar of olive salad for making homemade mufflettas.

Sincerely,

William R. Sanders
Customer Service Coordinator
Starwood Preferred Services

[email protected]

[This message has been edited by Starwood Lurker (edited 02-14-2003).]
Old Feb 15, 2003, 6:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Starwood Lurker:
Went to Emeril's one night last time we were in the Crescent City. Had the Degustations menu, which was a sampling of about 12 different courses. It was good, but Mrs. Starwood Lurker ended up with a very long hair on her plate, which mortified the wait-staff, naturally. To make up for it, they gave her a dessert of her choice for free. </font>
You had a twelve course meal, and they made up for a mishap with a free dessert???
Old Feb 17, 2003, 1:48 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by swag:
You had a twelve course meal, and they made up for a mishap with a free dessert??? </font>
Yeah; I agree that it was overkill, but the twelve portions were tiny and they were spread out over about an hour and a half, so believe it or not, there was still room for dessert if you split it between two people.

Sincerely,

William R. Sanders

[email protected]

Cast your vote! Visit www.freddieawards.com and choose your favorite frequent travel programs today.
Old Feb 18, 2003, 6:58 am
Pam

We were in New Orleans last week, and tried Emeril's Delmonico for the first time. I'm NOT young by any means..and that meal ranks up among the top five (maybe even two) meals in my lifetime. We try to go to New Orleans at least once a year, and I won't miss Delmonico on the next several trips. Of course, we are dieting this week because we also ate Morton's on that trip.

We have eaten the Degustation Menu at the original Emeril's several times; what an experience! Have also eaten at NOLA several times; interesting place.

Old Feb 18, 2003, 1:24 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Pam:
We were in New Orleans last week, and tried Emeril's Delmonico for the first time. I'm NOT young by any means..and that meal ranks up among the top five (maybe even two) meals in my lifetime. We try to go to New Orleans at least once a year, and I won't miss Delmonico on the next several trips. Of course, we are dieting this week because we also ate Morton's on that trip.

We have eaten the Degustation Menu at the original Emeril's several times; what an experience! Have also eaten at NOLA several times; interesting place.

</font>
Pam, just curious what you ordered at Delmonicos that was so memorable.

Thanks,

William R. Sanders

[email protected]

Cast your vote! Visit www.freddieawards.com and choose your favorite frequent travel programs today.
Old Feb 20, 2003, 8:11 am
Pam

It was DH, his oldest son, and me. Here goes:

Starters:
I ordered fried green tomatoes with lump crabmeat and warm remoulade sauce. DH ordered pecan-crusted oysters and Son ordered barbeque shrimp. All were superb!

Soups:
Hubs and I had gumbo, son had shrimp/lobster bisque. The gumbo was okay, but not up to the rest of the meal; son said bisque was great.

Entrees:
I had veal medallions over fresh asparagus (and I have never EVER had fresh asparagus that I would even eat, in the past) with a bienville sauce and more lump crabmeat. DH had grilled snapper with a vegetable medley that we couldn't identify (small diced veggies) but was wonderful. Son had a filet (he's a meat and potatoes guy) and the garlic mashed potatoes.

Dessert:
I had a chocolate pecan pie with vanilla ice cream, Hubs had creme brullee, and son had "milk chocolate parfait" that was really a rich mousse. The only "bad" part was that his chocolate mousse had a "caramel sambucco sauce" inside it and the licorice of the sambucco was overpowering. But he just ate around it.

They picked the wine, and I can't for the life of me remember what it was; it was a Reisling but not nearly as sweet as most of those are.

And yes, we needed to be rolled back to our rooms.

Old Feb 20, 2003, 5:32 pm

Great. Thanks for sharing.

Sincerely,

William R. Sanders

[email protected]

Old Feb 25, 2003, 3:25 pm

I love Brigtsen's. tel(504) 861 7610. As I left on last visit told Mrs. B how disappointed I was they were out of the rabbit appetizer. "Hon, the rabbit farmer comes on Wednesdays and this is Tuesday." Food & service are top notch. It's way out of the way & parking can be tough.
Old Mar 16, 2003, 7:12 am
Suspended

Previous favorites were:
Peristyle - very good
Bayoana - very good, best rabitt I have ever had ( even in France)
NOLA - good.
But my current favorite is Upperline, located in a old house in a residentail area on the edge of the garden district.
Ate there on last two trips to NO and cant wait to go back. Added bonus is the lady who owns/runs the place she will give updated info on all the restaurants in the city,
bad and more important her favorites.
Mike

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.