Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > South
Reload this Page >

Getting to MIA from Marco Island - how much time?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 1, 2002, 11:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold

This would be a pretty straight forward question in one didn't have to worry about missed flights on cheap tickets and limited schedules.

Anyway, my return flight is on a Tuesday noon from MIA (would have been FLL at 230pm originally). Normally, 2 hours should be more than sufficient to get from Marco Island to MIA on US 40/41 (Tamiami Trail). Since the road is just one lane, I'm a bit worried about what time to leave. I imagine 8 a.m., 8:30 at the latest?
Old Oct 2, 2002, 6:06 am
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
8:30

From my experience (4 times), I avg just under two hours easy for Marco to MIA. Trips are usually during late Sunday afternoon with lots of traffic.

The problem with the one lane roads are the morons that bunch up, too chicken to pass, but God forbid if you pass them.

Thankfully lots of long, straight, open passing areas.

edited to add: I've always enjoyed this drive!!!

[This message has been edited by Sweet Willie (edited 10-02-2002).]
Old Oct 2, 2002, 1:41 pm

Yes, you need two hours (on US-41 or I-75), may be more, if you have heavy traffic in Miami.
If you go US-41, take "Florida Turnpike NORTH" in Miami, then "Dolphin Express Way", 836 EAST, to MIA.
I would not start later than 8:00AM.

When in Marco, you should visit Naples: 3rd Street S. (Rest. Campiello or Tommy Bahama), and 5th Avenue South (Rest. Zoe's, 821, or Pazzo).
Article about Naples: http://www.nytimes.com/2001/01/14/travel/NAPLES.html
Old Oct 2, 2002, 1:53 pm

BTW, when you go US-41 you pass Clyde Butcher's (Black and White Landscape Photographer) photo studio.

http://www.clydebutcher.com/

....Located in the middle of the Everglades, Big Cypress Gallery displays an extensive selection of Clyde's photography, which range in size from 16x20 inches to 5x9 feet. Other available merchandise featuring Clyde's images includes books, note cards, posters, videos, t-shirts, and calendars......

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.