Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > South
Reload this Page >

Need Advice for First Visit to New Orleans

Old Aug 25, 02, 6:52 pm
Original Poster

We will be going to New Orleans 9/13-20 for the first time and will be staying in a timeshare in the French Quarter. I've heard all about the famous expensive restaurants but I'm looking for some recommendationes for reasonably priced ones.

What things would you recommend/avoid?

Thanks,
Pat
Old Aug 25, 02, 8:34 pm
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMM, AA PlatPro, SPG/Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Spire/Ambassador, Hyatt Globalist
If you are looking for restaurant suggestions, try the Flyertalk Dining section.

There have been quite a few posts on NO there in dining buzz and the south sections.
Old Aug 25, 02, 11:40 pm
Original Member

Programs: AAdvantage ExecPlat, United 1k, United Club (life), Virgin Silver, Marriott/SPG/Hilton/Accor Gold
Arnaud's Remoulade You can't go wrong at this casual branch of the upscale Arnaud's. I like shrimp Arnaud and turtle soup. It's all pretty good food-- one of the better places on Bourbon.

Napolean House This place is a New Orleans legend. Good bar, decent muffaletta, great cheese board. I love the ambience. Nice prices, service is a throwback from another era.

Cafe du Monde What can I say? I'm addicted to beignets & cafe au lait from the Cafe du Monde. You must go here. I go here daily when in New Orleans. I must admit, I prefer the locations in Japan to the New Orleans original.

Frommer's says: Best Po' Boys: It's hard to beat the drippy monster creations at Mother's, 401 Poydras St. (tel. 504/523-9656).

Best Muffalettas: You really haven't had a sandwich until you've tried a muffaletta, and though others do a good job, no one beats Central Grocery, 923 Decatur St. (tel. 504/523-1620).
Old Aug 27, 02, 11:15 pm
gsw

Programs: DL
The Gumbo Shop, in the Quarter: great food, reasonable prices.

[This message has been edited by gsw (edited 08-27-2002).]
Old Aug 27, 02, 11:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: statusless these days
From personal experience, avoid Dookey Chase and Praline Connection. Food isn't very good. Cafe du Monde beignets can be hit or miss. They were good/decent one day, burnt and overfried another.
Old Aug 28, 02, 7:39 am
Suspended

Do yourself a favour and drink your coffee and have a donut in the A/C cooled place across from Cafe DuMonde as you watch the long lines across the street bathed in perspiration (still very hot in Sept) waiting for beignets, plus you wont have the hassle of trying to get tons of powdered sugar off your clothes.

Hey I know everybody say you should go there
butI never could figure out the fascination of the place.
Mike

[This message has been edited by MIKESILV (edited 08-28-2002).]
Old Aug 28, 02, 4:32 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the info everyone. I sure do appreciate it.

Pat

Search this Thread