Greenville, SC?

Old Jul 17, 01, 7:03 am
Original Poster

Programs: USAir AA Hilton
Greenville, SC?

A good friend from ATL and I want to meet halfway for a weekend. Greenville seems a good location. We do this a couple of times a year and usually pick a mountain area B&B, but I've heard there are some cool antique stores, shops, etc. in downtown Greenville. There's a downtown Hyatt that seems pretty well located. Anyone have any insight?
Old Jul 17, 01, 9:58 am

Hello, one of my project was in downtown greenville, i thought it was a neat downtown. i stayed at the Hampton Inn off the Interestate ( forget which one) but it was very clean and nice. I believe the Hyatt you are talking about is in the "hip" area, enjoy your trip

------------------
Al
Old Jul 17, 01, 10:29 am
Original Poster

Thanks Afang!!
Old Jul 17, 01, 6:00 pm

Programs: 1MM BIS. Former 18-year segment 1K, 1997-2014...now just a distant memory.
Greenville, SC is my hometown. Although I do not live there, I go back for several visits a year.

The Hyatt is quite nice, with check-in located in a multi-story glassed atrium. It is at the very north end of Main Street, very convenient to being able to walk to all the downtown shops and stores.

Another new possibility is the Westin Poinsett Hotel, at the opposite end of Main Street, also convenient to downtown browsing and shopping. Recently opened, the Westin is a substantially renovated former Poinsett Hotel, which was "the" Greenville hotel back in the 1940s.

These are really the only two downtown area lodging choices of any quality. Main Street provides a myriad of dining opportunities, and is beautifully tree lined. I am very pleased with the way Greenville's downtown area has "come back", after really falling into disrepair in the 1970s and 1980s.

Last edited by ColoBill1; Dec 13, 12 at 11:57 pm
Old Jul 31, 01, 10:21 am
Original Poster

Just a followup to say that my friend and I stayed at the Westin Poinsett this past weekend - we were both upgraded to a deluxe room - which is an extremely large room w/ sofa, chair, coffee table and lamp table on one side, a desk and chair on the other side, and the notorious heavenly bed on one end of the room w/ the entertainment center on the other. The rennovation was done extremely well - the lobby was great, the restaurant was not truly exceptional but certainly very good.

Downtown Greenville is really fun. There is a 6 or 7 block strip w/ a Hyatt at one end and the Westin at the other. In between and down the side streets are scores of gift shops, antique shops, clothing stores, sidewalk cafes and other food establishments, jewelry stores, etc. Although there are some other markets within walking distance (West End market) which is more of the same without quite the ambience, we spent virtually the entire day dragging out those credit cards in this seven block area

This would be a cool place to do a FT get together - the Westin and the Hyatt would be great (weekend rates run between $60 and $90) - there are terrific restaurants, bars, etc. And GSP is only about 7 miles from downtown. It's much easier to get the occasional decent rate into GSP than CLT. Worth a thought, but I highly recommend this as a weekend trip for anyone..

Thanks for the tip!
Old Aug 5, 01, 9:56 pm
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMM, AA PlatPro, SPG/Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Spire/Ambassador, Hyatt Globalist
If you like the outdoors, we spent some time in the Lake Rabun area (NE of ATL near Clayton GA, border of GA/TN/SC).

Was very beautiful in the summer. The fall would be spectacular!

Old Jul 17, 12, 12:22 pm

I've stayed at the Hampton Inn & Suites Greenville RiverPlace Downtown and at the Courtyard by Marriott Greenville Downtown. They are walking distance from each other and by the river. I enjoyed both. Nice, clean and friendly staff.
Old Jul 17, 12, 6:45 pm

Programs: American Airlines Platinum, National Executive
Also a Greenville native, and return there every few weeks. The Hyatt (built around 1980) is at the north end of N. Main; the Westin Poinsett (built in the '20s, but totally redone just a few years ago) and Courtyard by Marriott (brand-new) are right in the middle of downtown (though at the south end of the strip of restaurants, stores, etc. on Main) and the Embassy Suites (maybe 2 or 3 years old; I forget) is at the south end of downtown, near Falls Park and towards the "West End" (which is like NoDa in Charlotte, sort of).

Downtown is mainly restaurants, gift shops, a Mast General Store (it's a department store, but definitely an attraction), etc.

Greenville is definitely an outdoorsy town; other than walking up and down Main, there is a Swamp Rabbit Train and other trail system that connects a lot of the city, even miles outside of downtown. One of the trails crosses just north of the Peace Center, along the riverfront, and goes through Falls Park. There are also some good mountains around for an outing, such as Paris Mountain, but if outdoorsy stuff isn't your thing, there are plenty of things downtown to stay entertained.

I would definitely stay downtown. There are some Myers Park-type neighborhoods just southeast of downtown, but the rest of Greenville isn't really what I'd consider a tourist attraction- kind of like the area around Carolina Place in Charlotte.

If church is your thing, First Presbyterian (also downtown) is definitely one of the most vibrant and best ones around.

Search this Thread