Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > South
Reload this Page >

Bars or restaurants that are good plane spotting at MIA?

Old Jul 30, 23, 7:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: American Airlines

Any suggestions?
Old Jul 31, 23, 10:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Looks like I found a place--94th Aero Squadron. Looks like good plane spotting .

Has anyone been? Assume there is a bar and/or patio outside?
Old Jul 31, 23, 10:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Silver
It was part of a chain, military airplane themed. They are all dark and not great windows to the airport. I would call and check about the outdoor seating. The one at PBI before it closed, did not have it. From the google pictures, it looks like there is limited outdoor seating and it looks like they purposely shade it off from the airport.

Check the hotel on airport premises and the Sheraton right there on the flight line to see if they have dining options. I remember the club lounge at Sheraton had a decent view of the runways.
enviroian likes this.
Old Aug 2, 23, 10:54 pm

Programs: Whatever AMEX Plat comes with... I buy on price.. Spirit Big Front Seat, want First/buy First
Originally Posted by enviroian
Looks like I found a place--94th Aero Squadron. Looks like good plane spotting .

Has anyone been? Assume there is a bar and/or patio outside?
It's been a few years since I've been there, but the views are fairly decent. Below are a couple of photos I took sitting at a table about 3 rows back from the windows with my iPhone. I would advise making a reservation and make a request for a table near the windows... they may say its first come first served for those, or they may be more cooperative (if it's not a busy weekend night). I've had it go both ways there (typical for Miami service). Food is nothing spectacular but I'd put it in the range of a "good expense report restaurant." Outdoors they have set up a lot for events. Some of the regular outdoor seating is on the wrong side of the building to watch planes. So, plan ahead and make a request or go early is my advice.

Thinking on hotel bars/restaurants.... most of those on the south side of the field are all ground floor. The Sheraton mentioned here has a good view from the club lounge but the dining/bar is ground floor. Outdoor area by pool faces south so you can see aircraft on approach/climb out.

The Holiday Inn has its bar/restaurant on the top floor (it's like 9th or 10th floor) on the northeast corner of the airport and I think of all the hotels, that's about the only public accessible restaurant/bar that's elevated and has a view.

Pics from 94th Aero:

pbiflyer and enviroian like this.
Old Aug 3, 23, 2:14 pm

Programs: AAdvantage
Not much at MIA particularly if planes are taking off to the west. The Aero Squad would probably be your best bet. You'd see many cargo planes landing on the southern most runway.
Old Aug 8, 23, 12:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by EXP100
Not much at MIA particularly if planes are taking off to the west. The Aero Squad would probably be your best bet. You'd see many cargo planes landing on the southern most runway.
I did go there last weekend. There is a patio and its pretty small. There was a Cuban band playing and the bar was full of elderly Cubans dancing. When I came inside to get another beer I was pulled onto the dance floor by some aggressive geriatrics.
BamaVol likes this.
Old Aug 8, 23, 12:08 pm

Programs: Whatever AMEX Plat comes with... I buy on price.. Spirit Big Front Seat, want First/buy First
Originally Posted by enviroian
I did go there last weekend. There is a patio and its pretty small. There was a Cuban band playing and the bar was full of elderly Cubans dancing. When I came inside to get another beer I was pulled onto the dance floor by some aggressive geriatrics.

Hahaha... I forgot about that! Guess they are still doing that there... been going on since I lived there 7-8 years ago... "mature" adult single mixers, usually Cuban. They get kinda wild.
Old Aug 8, 23, 12:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JAXPax
Hahaha... I forgot about that! Guess they are still doing that there... been going on since I lived there 7-8 years ago... "mature" adult single mixers, usually Cuban. They get kinda wild.
Oh it was funny and I thought it was great. The singer (man and woman duo) were singing all the Cuban classics (how do I know this? Because my bumble date just happened to be from Havana).

Anyway yeah the really partied it up.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.