FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   South (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/south-454/)
-   -   FL Hotel prices (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/south/2068853-fl-hotel-prices.html)

enviroian Feb 14, 2022 6:44 pm

FL Hotel prices

Are absolutely ridiculous. All over the state too. We’re talking about $700 per night at courtyards in EYW.

Most of America can’t afford these prices myself included nor would I ever pay such an absurd amount. I know simple econ 101 applies but when will this stabilize?

Boggie Dog Feb 14, 2022 6:53 pm

Originally Posted by enviroian (Post 33992327)
Are absolutely ridiculous. All over the state too. We’re talking about $700 per night at courtyards in EYW.

Most of America can’t afford these prices myself included nor would I ever pay such an absurd amount. I know simple econ 101 applies but when will this stabilize?

Key West is a high cost for everything area but I agree overall Florida is expensive for many things including fuel and hotels.

exerda Feb 14, 2022 6:56 pm

Moving this thread over to the South regional forum where members may have suggestions... but yes, I checked and EYW, OUCH. Other FL destinations where I often visit and even in peak season find rooms for under $200 a night look to be well over $300 at the moment.

Good luck!

bitterproffit Feb 14, 2022 6:59 pm

Florida tourist areas in the winter and spring have been stabilized as expensive for years. The entire Northeast and Midwest is shivering and wants to go to FL for Spring Break. February and March are sky high especially if you are planning now. Even the panhandle.

But Key West? Expect to pay a premium all year, but it’s really high in the winter/spring.

People booked their hotels in Key West for spring break six months to nine months ago so the higher prices are also reflective of the limited inventory left.

enviroian Feb 14, 2022 7:05 pm

I’m not talking about high rates at peak snow bird seasons — I know that (and even that is absurd) I’m talking about a random weekend in July or august. Still sky high.

F that. I’m headed to Mexico.

bitterproffit Feb 14, 2022 7:14 pm

Yeah, spending those prices at Key West in July or August is insane. I’d go to the Pacific or Maine/Cape Cod for that cash. Plus, the water is cooler.

pbiflyer Feb 15, 2022 10:08 am

Key West has been outrageous for a while now. Probably as a direct result of banning short term rentals for the most part. Supply shrunk.
Similar stories in other parts of Florida.

guv1976 Feb 15, 2022 11:01 am

If staying at an IHG property, you can sometimes save a little by doing a points redemption, as long as you can buy IHG points when they are on sale for 0.5¢ apiece. If you have the old Chase/IHG credit card, you will also get a 10% rebate on redemptions. If you have the newer Chase/IHG credit card, you will get the fourth night free on a points redemption. And if you are fortunate enough to have both credit cards, you will get the fourth night free and the 10% rebate. ;)

It still won't be a cheap stay, just cheaper than paying cash.

BamaVol Feb 17, 2022 6:35 pm

You’re looking in the wrong place. I just tried a random few nights in July for Jacksonville in the IHG app. They seem to average $120-140 a night. Amelia Island, a favorite place, $136 for the weekend of July 15.

FlyingHi4Now Feb 25, 2022 1:22 pm

And since the sky high tourism and hotel taxes are a percentage of the base hotel rate, that increases the total even more. Double Ouch

enviroian Feb 27, 2022 1:33 pm

I happen to peek again last night. Most hotels on or near the water are $600/night and I'm talking Courtyards. Really? How can this last?

DELee Feb 27, 2022 1:42 pm

Originally Posted by enviroian (Post 34030007)
I happen to peek again last night. Most hotels on or near the water are $600/night and I'm talking Courtyards. Really? How can this last?

As long as people keep paying those amounts.

David

Jaimito Cartero Feb 27, 2022 1:49 pm

Originally Posted by enviroian (Post 33992327)

You complained about FL prices last year, didn’t you? Shouldn’t come as a surprise.

That’s what hotel points, and hotel credit card free nights are for. I’ve earned 3 free Hilton nights in the last two months on their Amex cards. Good at about 98% of any of their properties.

Hyatt, IHG and others have a free night with their $100 or so yearly fee. Don’t forget to check for the AARP rate, costcotravel and similar rates.

MSPeconomist Feb 27, 2022 1:51 pm

Revenge travel by people who have been spending less money than usual during the last two years and don't want to travel abroad because of (constantly changing) testing etc. requirements.

DELee Feb 27, 2022 2:39 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist (Post 34030066)
Revenge travel by people who have been spending less money than usual during the last two years and don't want to travel abroad because of (constantly changing) testing etc. requirements.

"I'm going to book that trip to Florida and pay ridiculous nightly hotel rates even if it kills me!"

David