Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > South
Reload this Page >

MCO to Orlando via Florida Turnpike toll road- via rental car- how to pay toll?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 15, 2021, 9:20 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan SE AND 1MM, HHonors Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum , L'Accor Platinum

Can we still pay manually with cash at the ?2 toll booths (in each direction).
Or do we need a transponder- which will be used for the toll charges? if so, presumably the rental car companies would charge us for the transponder?
Old Dec 15, 2021, 9:33 pm

Get a Sunpass transponder. Done.
Old Dec 15, 2021, 9:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by FlyerGoldII
Can we still pay manually with cash at the ?2 toll booths (in each direction).
Or do we need a transponder- which will be used for the toll charges? if so, presumably the rental car companies would charge us for the transponder?
Just borrow a free transponder when you arrive at MCO.

https://visitortollpass.com/
ewoo and sethMCOflyer like this.
Old Dec 16, 2021, 1:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
If the OP is asking about the two toll booths on FL-528 just West of the airport, it does appear that those two facilities do accept cash toll payments:

https://www.cfxway.com/for-travelers/

(Click on the "Toll Facilities" icon.)

But borrowing a free toll transponder upon arrival at MCO seems like an easier solution, and would save a little bit of money vs. paying cash.
Old Dec 16, 2021, 5:54 pm

Programs: DL Plat
The tollbooths take cash- there's one staffed tollbooth (sometimes there's a line) and a couple of self-pay booths that take change (never a line). Bring a roll of quarters with you and you're golden. And it's kind of fun to toss the quarters into the basket.
Old Dec 27, 2021, 8:31 pm

Programs: AA,DL,F9,UA,WN
If you take the NORTH exit out of the airport it will take you to TOLL SR528 aka Beachline Expressway. The toll plaza close to the airport was demolished a few years ago so there is now just 1 toll plaza between the airport and the Turnpike exit. There are staffed booths that will take cash. If you enter the Turnpike, there is no longer any staffing along it and it's for transponders only or they will bill the rental car company from the car's tag number. If you borrow a transponder at the airport, that would handle the toll for you.

If you take the SOUTH exit out of the airport it will take you to TOLL SR417 aka Central Florida Greeneway. If you head towards Disney there are 2 toll plazas, both staffed. The borrowed transponder from the airport works here too.

Not sure where your destination is overall.
Old Apr 20, 2023, 5:14 pm

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM+, AS, MR-LTT, HH Gold
Originally Posted by guv1976
Just borrow a free transponder when you arrive at MCO.

https://visitortollpass.com/
Thanks for the link.

This particular transponder is not good for MIA and greater Miami area? (It does appear to be so). Is there something similar for MIA?
Old Apr 23, 2023, 7:59 am

Do you have an EZ-Pass? Bring it along. Go to your state's EZ-Pass website and enter your rental car's information when you pick up the car. You can buy an inexpensive holder on Amazon to stick it to the windshield with a suction cup. Just remember to take it with you when you return the car.
theebigjuan likes this.
Old May 15, 2023, 7:29 pm

Programs: SWRR, HH, SM, TSA Pre
Originally Posted by allset2travel
Thanks for the link.

This particular transponder is not good for MIA and greater Miami area? (It does appear to be so). Is there something similar for MIA?
It will work on Miami area toll plazas but is only available for pick up at MCO and you must be renting from one of the 10 rental companies with cars on site. If you are flying into MIA and looking for a toll transponder, either bring your own EZ Pass compatible transponder or buy one at Publix, CVS or Walgreens.
allset2travel likes this.
Old May 16, 2023, 10:28 am

Programs: Delta PM
There are pay booths on both 528 and 517. If you are going to Miami and want to avoid the turnpike tolls, take 528 to I-95, a bit longer mileage, but not much longer time wise.
SunPass and EZ Pass work all over Florida. Other ones work on 528, but I do not think other places.
It is almost impossible now to get to MIA without hitting a non cash toll road.
Old May 20, 2023, 8:29 am

[QUOTE=EAJuggalo;35252665]It will work on Miami area toll plazas but is only available for pick up at MCO and you must be renting from one of the 10 rental companies with cars on site. If you are flying into MIA and looking for a toll transponder, either bring your own EZ Pass compatible transponder or buy one at Publix, CVS or Walgreens.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the info.
Looks like buying a transponder serves my purpose. Thank you!

Last edited by allset2travel; May 20, 2023 at 8:34 am Reason: "quote" not working?
Old May 20, 2023, 8:33 am

Originally Posted by realworld
There are pay booths on both 528 and 517. If you are going to Miami and want to avoid the turnpike tolls, take 528 to I-95, a bit longer mileage, but not much longer time wise.
SunPass and EZ Pass work all over Florida. Other ones work on 528, but I do not think other places.
It is almost impossible now to get to MIA without hitting a non cash toll road.
Thank you for the heads-up.
I suppose the "Pay booths" accepts various US issued credit cards? Or cash only?
Old May 23, 2023, 7:14 am

Programs: Delta PM
Thank you for the heads-up.
I suppose the "Pay booths" accepts various US issued credit cards? Or cash only?
I think only cash, but not sure. Sorry.
Old May 24, 2023, 10:20 am

Programs: Delta Plat, Southwest RR, HHonors Diamond, Hertz PC, National EE
[QUOTE=allset2travel;35264935]
Originally Posted by EAJuggalo
It will work on Miami area toll plazas but is only available for pick up at MCO and you must be renting from one of the 10 rental companies with cars on site. If you are flying into MIA and looking for a toll transponder, either bring your own EZ Pass compatible transponder or buy one at Publix, CVS or Walgreens.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the info.
Looks like buying a transponder serves my purpose. Thank you!
Alternatively, you can setup and a SunPass account on the app and add the rental car tag to the account with your rental dates. No need to purchase a transponder
Old May 25, 2023, 10:45 am

[QUOTE=ChevyCruze;35275283]

Alternatively, you can setup and a SunPass account on the app and add the rental car tag to the account with your rental dates. No need to purchase a transponder
This sounds good

Thanks, will try that.
ChevyCruze likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.