Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > South
Reload this Page >

Late August Charleston/Savannah Trip - Advice Needed

Old Mar 25, 21, 11:34 am
Original Poster

My wife, myself, and our daughter, who will be 2 at the time, are planning a trip to CHS/SAV area for a vacation for the three of us.

We arrive into CHS at 4pm on a Saturday and leave the following Friday, at 1245pm. Planning on 3 nights in Charleston, then three nights in Savannah, driving back to CHS Friday morning. This is completely up in the air, and we'd be open to other suggestions.

We're looking for advice on what to see/do, and especially where to eat. Unfortunately it seems this is just before oyster season starts, but I might be wrong there. We're in the Midwest, so we eat as much fresh seafood as we can when we're on the coasts.

Given my daughter's age, she's going to be more of a tag along, rather than the leader (like if we were going to DisneyWorld), but we do want to keep her from being bored.

Advice on hotels with pools (preferably zero depth) and beaches would be greatly appreciated. I'm planning on burning a combination of Marriott and Hilton points. Location to attractions/restaurants, pool, and high end are all a plus. I do have TYP if there is a non-branded hotel worth staying at.

I am Hilton Diamond and Marriott Titanium, so elite recognition is a plus as well.

How would you plan out 6 nights in this area?

Last edited by shimps1; Mar 25, 21 at 11:42 am
Old Mar 27, 21, 9:33 am
Moderator: Travel Buzz, Chase Credit Cards

I've only visited once, but since no one has replied, I'll chime in.

The downtown Charleston area is great for exploring on foot. There are plenty of shops, restaurants, and art galleries. There are lots of historical places that are a short drive away. We went to Fort Sumner and a scenic drive. I stayed on the Isle of Palms.
Old Mar 27, 21, 11:30 am
Community Director

Be sure that you check the temperature charts for this time of year. I love Charleston and all there is to do and eat there. But I expect it will be hot and steamy in late summer, no time to be out and about.
Old Mar 27, 21, 12:01 pm

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K View Post
Be sure that you check the temperature charts for this time of year. I love Charleston and all there is to do and eat there. But I expect it will be hot and steamy in late summer, no time to be out and about.
Both are great places to visit but late August is definitely not the time to do it. Very hot and humid and you can almost guarantee very heavy rainstorms late afternoon and early evening. Both cities are excellent for just walking around. If you are determined to come then, plan on getting a very early start every day and spend the afternoon by the hotel pool. The best time to visit is probably right now, late March early April, but stay away May-September.
SanDiego1K and travelmad478 like this.
Old Mar 31, 21, 6:42 pm

Programs: Life, Love and Laughter
(Charleston native here) As others have noted, you've chosen the worst time of year to visit - very hot and muggy and also the beginning of hurricane season. So, any outdoor activities will depend on your tolerance for the heat and humidity. Both cities are very walkable, but in August only the mornings will be somewhat bearable. My best advice is to reschedule your trip. My secondary advice would be to look for indoor activities.
travelmad478 likes this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: