Wiki Posts
Search

FFL gov mandates 14 day quarantine for arriving NY/NJ folks

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23, 2020, 4:37 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

FFL gov mandates 14 day quarantine for arriving NY/NJ folks

I understand they can have LEOs meeting each plane , but what happens if I tkt myself say NY-ATL-MIA ( I have no plans to fly, just saying) Or do they plan to meet and greet every single flight into FL and ask for a DL and if its from NY or NJ send you back?

"Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis said Monday he is issuing an executive order that calls for a mandatory 14-day self-isolation for travelers coming from airports in New York and New Jersey."
Old Mar 24, 2020, 9:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
I think this is a "if you thought you could escape the pandemic by flying/driving to FL, think again" order.

David
Old Mar 24, 2020, 12:30 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
How in the world is this going to be enforced? Are the police going to follow you to your door and not leave until 2 weeks later? I get some of this, as the Spring Breakers keep coming. Realistically this is nonsense. I live in Florida. When I go into Publix half the store are old, frail people with walkers buying cigarettes, beer and lottery tickets. These are the most at risk and that could overwhelm the medical system. Shouldn't the effort be made at isolating them instead of a 35 year old that isn't going to die?
kennycrudup likes this.
Old Mar 25, 2020, 7:25 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Lifetime Admirals Club member
Tough to say. Just because there’s an order or a mandate, doesn’t mean it’s going to be formally enforced by police or the guard. It’s simply the next step to try to get people’s attention, since the last 5 attempts haven’t reached everyone yet
Old Mar 25, 2020, 7:53 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by MiamiAirport Formerly NY George
How in the world is this going to be enforced? Are the police going to follow you to your door and not leave until 2 weeks later? I get some of this, as the Spring Breakers keep coming. Realistically this is nonsense. I live in Florida. When I go into Publix half the store are old, frail people with walkers buying cigarettes, beer and lottery tickets. These are the most at risk and that could overwhelm the medical system. Shouldn't the effort be made at isolating them instead of a 35 year old that isn't going to die?
Florida lives on retirees and their pools of money. And those pools of money are important to the governing class. The Sunshine State-loving retiree cohort usually has way more in assets of most all sorts than the 35 year-old sunshine lover, and that matters when it comes to fundraising by the governing class. So whether this restriction is enforced poorly or not, it at least can be used to say “look, we did something for you.”.
Old Mar 28, 2020, 11:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Good, and while they’re at it they can close the border for all non-resident vehicle traffic.

Pretty simple way to get rid of all the non residents would be to require an ID check to make any purchases in the state of Florida.
Old Mar 29, 2020, 12:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by cmd320
Good, and while they’re at it they can close the border for all non-resident vehicle traffic.

Pretty simple way to get rid of all the non residents would be to require an ID check to make any purchases in the state of Florida.
Problem is the sheer number of snow birds and others who keep a residence in FL but don't have a FL ID card. And hadn't needed one until now.

David
Old Mar 29, 2020, 7:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DELee
Problem is the sheer number of snow birds and others who keep a residence in FL but don't have a FL ID card. And hadn't needed one until now.

David
Exactly, and they can go home.
Old Mar 29, 2020, 1:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
Exactly, and they can go home.
They appear to be leaving. My community is roughly 40% snowbirds. The Canadians were first, probably due to border worries or 6 months up soon. Michiganders are packing up. New Englanders are getting ready.

It will be tough to enforce the 14 days on arrivals but I understand checkpoints have been set up on I95 and I10. It would be simpler if we were all required to quarantine or isolate for a while.
Old Mar 29, 2020, 2:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BamaVol
They appear to be leaving. My community is roughly 40% snowbirds. The Canadians were first, probably due to border worries or 6 months up soon. Michiganders are packing up. New Englanders are getting ready.

It will be tough to enforce the 14 days on arrivals but I understand checkpoints have been set up on I95 and I10. It would be simpler if we were all required to quarantine or isolate for a while.
That’s virtually where we’re at now anyway with all bars, restaurants, and entertainment closed. Closing off outdoor activities isn’t really in anyone’s best interest so long as people stay solo or in small groups when outside.
Old Apr 3, 2020, 10:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
That’s virtually where we’re at now anyway with all bars, restaurants, and entertainment closed. Closing off outdoor activities isn’t really in anyone’s best interest so long as people stay solo or in small groups when outside.
They're still playing golf in The Villages, with a few additional rules like no removing flags from holes. Here, all facilities and activities are off limits. Lots of folks walking and riding bicycles.
Old Apr 3, 2020, 10:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BamaVol
They're still playing golf in The Villages, with a few additional rules like no removing flags from holes. Here, all facilities and activities are off limits. Lots of folks walking and riding bicycles.
I would think golf would be one of the safest activities assuming you don’t share clubs, carts, or balls.
Old Apr 5, 2020, 6:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Silver
I would think golf would be one of the safest activities assuming you don’t share clubs, carts, or balls.
Getting the ball out of the cup that has a flag stick still in almost assuredly requires touching the flagstick with back of your hand. Someone wipes their nose and grabs the ball.....

I assume the same rule about touching include the rakes in the trap. If not, there is another possible transference.

But not the mostly likely of places to get it.
Old Apr 8, 2020, 8:17 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
First they closed the golf course in Coral Gables and for awhile people used it for picnics, soccer matches, frisbee throwing, etc. Cops just rode by and waved. Then they (not sure who the "they" are) put up electronic signs telling people to stay off the golf course. People are still using it for various activities but in smaller crowd size and the cops still drive by and just wave. The sidewalks and streets around the golf course are jammed with bikers, runners, walkers, rollerbladding.

I go to a very small park near the library to work using's the library's wifi. A couple of days ago there was a tent set up for testing in the library parking lot. In the span of about 4 hours one old person drove up. My brother lives in Fort Myers and said several testing sites were closed due to lack of people showing up to be tested.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.