Reload this Page >

7 hour layover at RDU

7 hour layover at RDU

Old Dec 6, 19, 8:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: The Airline Run by Doug P
7 hour layover at RDU

Does anyone know if they have a left luggage type service I can drop off my rollerboard for the day? If not do hotels offer day rates? I know that sounds like a silly question but I've heard posts about this before.

I get in at 11 am and my LHR flight isn't until 7:25 PM

thanks
Old Dec 6, 19, 3:27 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
TravelBuzz is for general travel discussion. Questions about individual airports/locations belong in the respective Destination forum. Moving to the USA-South forum for further discussion.

/JY1024, TravelBuzz moderator
Old Dec 6, 19, 7:31 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Lifetime Admirals Club member
Originally Posted by enviroian View Post
Does anyone know if they have a left luggage type service I can drop off my rollerboard for the day? If not do hotels offer day rates? I know that sounds like a silly question but I've heard posts about this before.

I get in at 11 am and my LHR flight isn't until 7:25 PM

thanks
Thereís a pretty big cluster of hotels right around RDU. Probably pays to jump on the phone for an hour and call them all. Or land, check your bag to London and then Uber to Raleigh, Chapel hill or Durham (all are $20-25 each way.) Iíd rather spend $50 on touring a city then $100 for a few hours sleeping in a hotel prior to a red eye flight...
Old Dec 6, 19, 7:54 pm

Programs: HH Gold, Marriott Gold
Hiltonís in the area offer day rates. The best way to find them is to use the app or online and put the check in and check out day as the same day.

for example, Hilton Garden RDU shows a day rate of $76.

I am not sure how to get a quote from marriott.

i would check in, drop off stuff, Uber to find some close by Carolina BBQ, go back, nap and shower, and go back to airport.
Old Dec 6, 19, 10:49 pm

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Rent a car for the day and put the bag in your trunk.

Then pick a city to visit -- either Raleigh, Durham, or Chapel Hill (despite the airport name they are not the same city, it's a big misnomer and it can take me over an hour to go from my house in Durham to downtown Raleigh).

If you want BBQ, the Pit is always a solid choice (locations in Durham and Raleigh).

If you want craft beer, Lywnood Brewing Concern and Brewery Bhuvana are two good ones in Raleigh; Ponysaurus or Fullsteam are the two Durham options -- or there's a place not far from the airport called The Glass Jug that has tons of craft beer.

Of course you could hit the Duke or UNC campuses, both about a 20-25 minute drive if average traffic.

If you do rent a car just note that traffic to/from the airport starts getting pretty heavy around 4pm so plan accordingly in getting back to the airport
Old Dec 7, 19, 9:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

good tips all thanks! I have a bunch of free hertz days so I'll rent a car (and like someone said will also act as my own locker) and head into downtown Raleigh. I am a museum junkie and will do some googling on what to see.
Old Dec 7, 19, 9:25 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Raleigh has a nice historic district. It could be pleasant to walk around before a long flight, especially on a nice day.
Old Dec 7, 19, 10:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

These two museums look highly rated and very interesting:

1. NC Museum of Natural Sciences
2. Museum of Life and Science

I rented a car for a total of $10 tax. If I arrive at 11 I'll get downtown by noon then grab lunch and see these back to back and head back to RDU. Someone mentioned traffic ....is it like Dallas or Atlanta traffic or is it not really? I ask as I really think this is subjective. Someone once told me that Phx rush hour traffic is bad but compared to other similar sized cites it's a walk in the park. If my RDU-LHR flight is at 1925 I should leave downtown by 1700?
bitterproffit likes this.
Old Dec 7, 19, 3:37 pm

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Both very good museums.

I live here (in Durham and have for the vast majority of my life) and was the one who mentioned traffic.

I-40, the main highway to the airport from both Raleigh and Durham has gotten increasingly busy over the last few years and the area by the airport is especially bad (typically worse going towards Raleigh in the PM but can be bad in both directions).

I would start checking around 4pm. It won't necessarily take over an hour but it's certainly possible.

I definitely wouldn't leave later than 1700 but would be prepared to leave around 1630 if things are already skewing toward heavy traffic.

With no traffic it should only about 20-25 minutes and my assumption above is weekday travel, if weekend travel leaving at 5pm should be perfectly fine.
enviroian likes this.

Last edited by Duke787; Dec 8, 19 at 12:25 pm
Old Dec 7, 19, 3:43 pm

Programs: AA, BAEC Silver
The NC Museum of Art (https://ncartmuseum.org/) is quite close to the airport, offers some open space and a sculpture park, and has a restaurant if that takes your fancy.
enviroian and octr202 like this.
Old Dec 10, 19, 6:24 am

Programs: B6, Amtrak, DL, AA, Marriott, Hilton
Second the NC Museum of Art - a very impressive museum and park setting for a museum of its size.

I also found the NC Museum of History to be well done, if you're interested in historical museums (and especially if you're not familiar with NC and the local area).

Search this Thread
Search Engine: