Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > South
Reload this Page >

Travelling to Everglades/Miami during Christmas holidays

Travelling to Everglades/Miami during Christmas holidays

Old Dec 4, 2019, 9:11 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by pbiflyer
Will you have a car? What other interests beside the Everglades?

I like the Brickell area. Restaurants, shops, free transport to the rest of downtown Miami.

I like Cooper Town for Everglades tours.

Vizcaya mansion in Coconut Grove is cool. Day trip to the Keys. Shopping/eating/drinking along Lincoln Road Mall in South Beach.

Perez Art museum, new science museum are right next to each other, a stroll away from Bayside, which is touristy, but a nice place for lunch. Lots of boat tours there if you want to see the mansions from the water.

Drink Cuban Coffee, eat a Cuban sandwich.
Hi,
We just found a 2 queen bed room for 360k points (no suite) in Hampton Inn in Brickell area. There is a train from airport to this location and free break fast. Only problem is parking. It is $28 per night. We are planning to rent a Car. Are there any cheaper parking options close by. Any suggestions about how to manager car renting. Is it possible to move around down town without car then we can only rent for travelling to everglades and key west. Can you please provide some information. I also have reservation at HWS west of airport. I am going to keep one and cancel other after deciding everything.

Last edited by rustum76; Dec 4, 2019 at 9:16 am
Old Dec 6, 2019, 11:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Silver
Originally Posted by rustum76
Hi,
We just found a 2 queen bed room for 360k points (no suite) in Hampton Inn in Brickell area. There is a train from airport to this location and free break fast. Only problem is parking. It is $28 per night. We are planning to rent a Car. Are there any cheaper parking options close by. Any suggestions about how to manager car renting. Is it possible to move around down town without car then we can only rent for travelling to everglades and key west. Can you please provide some information. I also have reservation at HWS west of airport. I am going to keep one and cancel other after deciding everything.
That is actually a good rate for parking in that area. It is a business district, so it can get higher. The problem with alternative parking is that there is usually no in and out privileges. So even though it may be cheaper for a daily rate, one trip makes it more expensive.
A couple things to keep in mind with your choices. Brickell has a lot of walking to options, airport area hotels not so much. You can use the people mover to get around downtown Miami, but if you want to go to other areas, public transport is not a great option.
Old Dec 6, 2019, 3:22 pm
Original Poster

That is actually a good rate for parking in that area. It is a business district, so it can get higher. The problem with alternative parking is that there is usually no in and out privileges. So even though it may be cheaper for a daily rate, one trip makes it more expensive.
A couple things to keep in mind with your choices. Brickell has a lot of walking to options, airport area hotels not so much. You can use the people mover to get around downtown Miami, but if you want to go to other areas, public transport is not a great option.
Thanks again for the information. Hotel parking is more flexible with multiple in and outs. Renting a car from Avis for 4 days ( Parking it for 3 nights) to go out to see Everglades and key west areas. We are hoping to make use of people mover or uber to cover south beach, Wynwood Walls, Vizcaya Museum and Bayfront area. Is this plan feasible. I am going to cancel HWS west airport reservation and keep one with Hampton inn in Brickell.
Old Dec 6, 2019, 4:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Metromover to Bayfront.
Metrorail to Vizcaya.
Wynwood Walls is probably an Uber, but you could take Metromover to the end (schoolboard), then a shorter Uber ride to save money.

Uber to South Beach (maybe from Bayfront to save money)
Old Dec 17, 2019, 11:25 am
Original Poster

Metromover to Bayfront.
Metrorail to Vizcaya.
Wynwood Walls is probably an Uber, but you could take Metromover to the end (schoolboard), then a shorter Uber ride to save money.

Uber to South Beach (maybe from Bayfront to save money)
Thanks again for the information. Is it possible to visit Kennedy space station for a day.
Old Dec 20, 2019, 12:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks again for the information. Is it possible to visit Kennedy space station for a day.
It would make for a long day. 3.5 to 4 hours each way from/to Miami. Figure another 6 there and that makes for a easy 14-15 hour day with stops/meals.
Old Dec 20, 2019, 1:24 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA Exp
It would make for a long day. 3.5 to 4 hours each way from/to Miami. Figure another 6 there and that makes for a easy 14-15 hour day with stops/meals.
That’s a tough 4 hour ride each way, especially in season. I-95 gets all jacked up with tourists. It would be a very long day.
Old Dec 22, 2019, 4:52 pm
Original Poster

Any one familiar with Brickell location. Is HWS too far from Metro mover and other stuff compared to Hampton. I got 2 queen bed room with Hampton and King bed studio suite in HWS. I need to cancel one of them by end of tomorrow. Parking is $30 at both the places. HWS is a valley. We are planning to stay for 7 nights. We are family of 2 adults and 2 kids. I am a diamond member. Is hws makes better place than hampton inn in Brickell for week long stay. Only thing is it is at least 1/2 mile away from Brickell.

Last edited by rustum76; Dec 22, 2019 at 6:20 pm
Old Dec 22, 2019, 7:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

My first thought is will the kids put up with a week on a sleeper sofa pull out in the king suite?
It is .4 mile walk to the Metromover from HWS. Not bad if you do it once a day. If you want to do it multiple times, your thoughts may vary.
Old Dec 22, 2019, 10:08 pm
Original Poster

Deleted.

Last edited by rustum76; Dec 24, 2019 at 9:29 am
Old Dec 23, 2019, 3:50 pm
Original Poster

Just saw news on weather.com about flooding at FLL airport. But weather seems to be fine in MIA.
Old Dec 25, 2019, 8:32 am
Original Poster

How to manage tolls. Is it better to get toll tag from car rental company. Are there cheaper options?
Old Dec 25, 2019, 8:24 pm
Original Poster

Which is the good air boat place between safety park, Cooper town and gator park. Can we buy air boat tickets when we go there instead of buying online. Is there any cheaper option to manage toll roads without paying lot of money to Avis? Regarding Miami south beach, is it possible to swim during winter season also? Just thinking about going with change clothes etc.

Last edited by rustum76; Dec 26, 2019 at 9:17 am
Old Dec 28, 2019, 7:12 pm
Original Poster

Other Vizcaya museum, can you please suggest some other place to get the feel of coconut grove (coconut / palm tree landscape/ tropical plants and atmosphere)
Old Dec 28, 2019, 9:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Other Vizcaya museum, can you please suggest some other place to get the feel of coconut grove (coconut / palm tree landscape/ tropical plants and atmosphere)
Down Old Culter road are a couple Botanical gardens. fairchildgarden.org and montgomerybotanical.org.
I would also consider Crandon Park or Bill Braggs state park on Key Buscayne.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.