Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > South
Reload this Page >

New MSY Terminal opens (Nov 5, 2019) - experiences, logistics, etc.

New MSY Terminal opens (Nov 5, 2019) - experiences, logistics, etc.

Old Aug 26, 2021, 10:29 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond for Life
Fortunately I got right on a bus and didnt have to wait too long. I just experienced the ride itself. Unfortunately I did not have time to even think about The Club.

I can only imagine that at some point a new road will be built for quicker transfer between the terminal and rental car center.
Old Aug 26, 2021, 11:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
Yeah, it's maddening as hell that we spent something like $80 million on a new rental car center as part of $300 million in renovations for the old terminal, completed in 2012 and largely driven by the city hosting the 2013 Super Bowl.

The rental car shuttle already takes a shortcut, using the official vehicle Bainbridge exit instead of the public exit to Loyola. No new road is possible, since you'd have to cross runways.
Old Aug 26, 2021, 2:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by swag
Yeah, it's maddening as hell that we spent something like $80 million on a new rental car center as part of $300 million in renovations for the old terminal, completed in 2012 and largely driven by the city hosting the 2013 Super Bowl.

The rental car shuttle already takes a shortcut, using the official vehicle Bainbridge exit instead of the public exit to Loyola. No new road is possible, since you'd have to cross runways.
You can build a roadway under a runway or taxiway.............
Old Aug 26, 2021, 2:47 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond, Marriott Titanium (LT Gold), UA Gold (*G), DL Silver, Makers Mark Ambassador
Originally Posted by mvoight
Not in a city below sea level, MSY is in a literal swamp. Even if they did it would still be on the opposite side of the airport. They need to move the rental cars to the north end.
FLYMSY likes this.
Old Aug 26, 2021, 3:49 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mvoight
What a sense of humor! Obviously, someone doesn’t know anything about the topography of that area of Kenner, LA. One of the reasons why there were problems installing the sewer lines for the new terminal.
MSYtoJFKagain likes this.
Old Aug 26, 2021, 6:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by FLYMSY
What a sense of humor! Obviously, someone doesnt know anything about the topography of that area of Kenner, LA. One of the reasons why there were problems installing the sewer lines for the new terminal.
The phrase "floodier and floodier" from Winnie the Pooh comes to mind....

David
Old Aug 26, 2021, 6:54 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DELee
The phrase "floodier and floodier" from Winnie the Pooh comes to mind....

David
Speaking of floodier and floodier, Stay tuned for this weekend as Hurricane Ida comes to mind.
Old Oct 9, 2021, 1:05 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum/1MM, Hilton Diamond
The parking situation at MSY should be getting more attention. Someone really underestimated the future requirements when the new garages were being designed and built. There are less than 100 open spaces remaining at the moment.

Their website states: "With over 8,000 spaces and four different parking options to choose from, there is more than enough parking spaces available to meet the airports parking demand for coming years."

Err, they might want to rethink that. If the situation is this bad now for Columbus Day weekend, I can't imagine what the Thanksgiving holiday traffic will bring.
Old Oct 9, 2021, 1:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Originally Posted by Smaug
The parking situation at MSY should be getting more attention. Someone really underestimated the future requirements when the new garages were being designed and built. There are less than 100 open spaces remaining at the moment.

Their website states: "With over 8,000 spaces and four different parking options to choose from, there is more than enough parking spaces available to meet the airports parking demand for coming years."

Err, they might want to rethink that. If the situation is this bad now for Columbus Day weekend, I can't imagine what the Thanksgiving holiday traffic will bring.
How about better public transportation options rather than more parking?
travelmad478 likes this.
Old Oct 9, 2021, 11:11 pm

Programs: Marriot Rewards, AC Aeroplan, UA MileagePlus, WN Rapid Rewards
There is also the loss of the US Park Airline Lot due to Hurricane Ida and the permanent closure of the Park N Fly lot after COVID impacting things. Hopefully, US Park will be able to get the Airline lot opened up soon. Would be great if Park N Fly came back into the market too.
Old Oct 10, 2021, 7:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
My recollection is that while the total number of spaces increased after the terminal move, there are actually fewer walkable spaces now than there were before. The rest are in the long term garage, which are better than nothing, but just so inconvenient. I think it's telling that at most airports, when parking gets busy on weekends and holidays (leisure travelers paying themselves), the cheapest lots are the ones that fill first. At the new MSY, the cheapest option is the last to fill.
Old Nov 10, 2021, 3:38 pm
Original Poster

Was nice to see more restaurants open today at MSY. Terminal was fairly busy and there were long lines for the regular TSA checkpoints. The United Club opened on 11/3.
Old Nov 10, 2021, 8:09 pm

Programs: BA GfL
Good to know, we’re flying out on Friday (first time since July). There are definitely lots more tourists in town these days, so I’m not surprised that it’s more crowded and things are opening back up. I’m relieved!
Old Nov 14, 2021, 7:47 am

Programs: BA GfL
We flew out from MSY on Friday, not a holiday weekend, and I can report that the parking situation is very challenging. Our original plan was for me to drop Mr. travelmad478 at Departures to check our bags and then go park in the ST lot (since it’s only $2/day more expensive than the LT lot, this is my usual M.O. for trips of 5 days or less). No spaces, and cones and airport personnel were physically blocking the entrances to the garage (which I normally would have snuck into, because there is ALWAYS at least one space). Same for the LT lot. I ended up battling massive traffic on Veterans Blvd. to get to the Economy lot. Miraculously found a space on the third floor of the garage that was hidden behind a big pickup truck, sprinted down the stairs to the shuttles, and equally miraculously was called over by a shuttle driver who had an empty bus and volunteered take me and two other passengers over to the terminal immediately. Made it to the gate just as boarding started. For once, I’d built in a tiny bit of extra time when leaving the house because of our need to check bags (highly unusual), and I needed every second of it!
Old Nov 14, 2021, 8:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Its great that MSY is hopping again, enough so that I sprung for a Clear membership, as even the pre-check line waits have been long. As for the parking situation, perhaps this is a good opportunity for the greater New Orleans area to explore expanding public transportation options. I too would park in the ST lot for shorter trips, but now wont risk turning up only to be turned away. Instead Ill bum rides from friends or, if need be, Uber.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.