Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > South
Reload this Page >

New MSY Terminal opens (Nov 5, 2019) - experiences, logistics, etc.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New MSY Terminal opens (Nov 5, 2019) - experiences, logistics, etc.

Search this Thread

Old Dec 4, 2019, 11:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Originally Posted by travelmad478
Currently eating an entirely creditable egg and cheese sandwich with home fries at Bar Sazerac (no I am not drinking a Sazerac! it’s just a nice place to sit). Not a bad deal at all for $5.70 including tax.
This is good to hear. One of the things that bummed me out about the old airport, in addition to the terrible food choices, was the obscenely high pricing. I seem to recall that a pre-packaged breakfast biscuit on the old C concourse was over $10. Walking around the new airport I see that places are not shy about their prices, but at least the options are infinitely better and it’s good to hear that there are reasonably priced options.
kale73 likes this.
Old Dec 4, 2019, 11:29 pm

Programs: BA GfL
Originally Posted by Blumie
This is good to hear. One of the things that bummed me out about the old airport, in addition to the terrible food choices, was the obscenely high pricing. I seem to recall that a pre-packaged breakfast biscuit on the old C concourse was over $10. Walking around the new airport I see that places are not shy about their prices, but at least the options are infinitely better and it’s good to hear that there are reasonably priced options.
I agree 100%. MSY is pretty much the only airport where I have to pay for food (although my general goal is to get to the airport 10 minutes before boarding starts) and the food options in the old place were beyond terrible. I’m not saying everything is cheap, but at least there are now some options for hot, fresh food that you’re not paying $12 for.
Old Dec 12, 2019, 1:53 pm
Original Poster

Landed at MSY about 7:30 P.M. on Tuesday. By the time I got to baggage claim, bags were coming out on the carousel. Walked out to get a taxi, which was instantaneous. Very seamless. I’m impressed, so far.
Old Dec 13, 2019, 5:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Dropped off a rental at 8:30 this morning and was in the terminal by 9. Bus ride from the rental car facility (on Airline) was 11-12 minutes. My flight wasn't until 10:51 so I had some time to wander around and get an order of grits at Leah's Kitchen.

I eyed the pralines but @ $20 for a box of six I think I'll make my own for Christmas (I've got mom's recipe).

My UAX flight was delayed because the pilot aborted the initial landing attempt on the inbound due to the heavy fog.
Old Dec 14, 2019, 7:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
Apparently, the cell phone lot was enough of a disaster yesterday to make the local news.

On Friday evening, the lot more closely resembled a trap, in which airport workers prevented dozens of cars from leaving for more than half an hour, citing heavy traffic and long wait times at the arrivals curb.

Terry Jacobson was one of the unlucky drivers. He pulled into the lot just after 4 p.m. and was almost immediately called by his friends, who had just arrived from South Carolina. But when he tried to leave, traffic management staff kept him there for another 30 minutes before letting him out.

Twitter user Eugenie Bondurant tweeted just after 4:30 p.m. that she had come to pick up her husband but sat among seven rows of cars stacked about 10 deep, waiting to get out for 35 minutes.

"FIX THIS MESS," she said. "No one is being let out."

The cellphone lot is a portion of the same lot used by taxis and Uber and Lyft drivers waiting to pick up riders, and the flow of those vehicles out of the lot are controlled by staff. The airport has been periodically plagued by long lines to pick up people at the arrivals curb, which is used by cars, ride-hailing services and rental-car and private-parking shuttles.
Holiday leisure travel is likely starting to pick up, but I'm sure the numbers next Friday will dwarf what they had yesterday. Hope they can get this figured out soon.

https://www.nola.com/news/article_ee...faf2c5be3.html
Old Dec 14, 2019, 12:45 pm

[moderator edit]. I’ve used it a couple of times already for pickups and the design is comically bad. I’ll sit in a nearby business parking lot in Kenner from now on, or use the free 30 minutes in the short-term garage if that seems warranted.

Last edited by l etoile; Aug 29, 2021 at 10:35 am Reason: Continued violation of rules (profanity) will lead to suspension
Old Dec 17, 2019, 9:31 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Titanium, UA Gold (*G), DL Silver, Makers Mark Ambassador
Flying through the new MSY for the first time Wednesday afternoon. With a 4:15 flight what time should I be aiming to get to rental car return?
Old Jan 7, 2020, 12:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

10 minute bus ride to the Rental Car Center this morning.
Old Jan 7, 2020, 12:22 pm

My two arrivals thus far into MSY, including one on Sunday evening, have been very smooth. In both cases, although the airport was bustling, there was no line at all at the Lyft pickup spot, and I was out of there in minutes. I had to check a bag for my Sunday flight and waited about 12 minutes at the carousel for it (pleasantly, my Priority-tagged bag did indeed come out on the belt in the first minute or so).
Old Jan 11, 2020, 11:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
I have to say that, notwithstanding the predictions of chaos and pandemonium, the opening of the new terminal has been quite smooth, with the few hiccups quickly addressed.
travelmad478 likes this.
Old Jan 22, 2020, 9:40 am

Programs: Star Alliance G*, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium,
review & update

Great new terminal, IMO. Lots of light (compared to the old one, which is the other side of the tarmac) and lots of faux marble.
The orientation is much different than most airports. The 3rd level is the entrance, the 2nd is the gates and check in and the 1st is the arrivals hall.
I was also impressed with the public transit from MSY to the CBD.
I asked @ the Polaris check in area, and discovered they are opening a UA club lounge soon. Seating for 122.
Asked about comparables, and I was delighted to learn its similar to the new lounge in SEA!
Old Jan 22, 2020, 2:41 pm
Original Poster

MSY RESTAURANT SUGGESTIONS from EATER NOLA

https://nola.eater.com/maps/what-to-...tional-airport
Old Jan 26, 2020, 4:02 pm

Programs: Star Alliance G*, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium,
update

Date now confirmed for the opening of the new United Club Lounge - Feb 29.
Evidently, they picked the date to be after Mardi Gras!
Old Jan 26, 2020, 5:56 pm

Programs: Statusless and proud
Sitting here right now waiting for my flight back to Denver and eating a beignet. Life isn't too bad.

Chris
Old Jan 27, 2020, 6:56 am

Programs: United
Shoot, another month. Oh well, hopefully it is as nice as described above.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.