Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > South
Reload this Page >

New MSY Terminal opens (Nov 5, 2019) - experiences, logistics, etc.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New MSY Terminal opens (Nov 5, 2019) - experiences, logistics, etc.

Search this Thread

Old Nov 13, 2019, 7:34 am

Programs: DL, AA, UA
We returned to MSY yesterday (Tuesday 11/12) at 5pm at C11. From gate to Lake Vista (including a bathroom break and waiting for a cab) was 45 minutes. That's about 10 minutes longer than in the old terminal - mostly because it takes longer to walk from the gates to the exit. Cab line was the same (even had the same snarky cab line lady). Wait for the red light at Veterans & Loyola took about the same time as waiting to merge from the old flyover onto the I-10. On the way out it looked like the security lines were maybe 10-15 minutes. About a third of the security area was roped off, but it there were crates of additional scanners waiting to be installed.

The outbound (last Thursday) also took about 10 minutes longer than in the old terminal, also mostly due to the longer distance from curb to gate.

Oh yeah - on that day, John Folse was hanging around his restaurant, chatting with some guys in suits.
Old Nov 13, 2019, 9:09 am

Programs: BA GfL
Thanks for the report, jg70124. I’m still mildly concerned about Lyft pickups, which several of my upcoming guests (and then I) will have to do in the next few weeks. Was the taxi/rideshare pickup area operating smoothly or did the rideshare section seem to be the same cluster*** that many people have reported on?
Old Nov 13, 2019, 10:34 am

Programs: DL, AA, UA
Taxi area was *just* like the old place, including the dispatcher hollering at drivers and passengers. Rideshare area looked like there was no line at all. But YMMV
Old Nov 13, 2019, 1:52 pm

Programs: United
Originally Posted by SuperG1955
I've got an unexpected trip out tomorrow at noon. Trying to figure out when to get there. I'll be taking a cab or Uber from the Marigny. Used to be 20 - 30 minutes and I'm thinking that I'll allow 45 - 60. I've got Clear so I'm figuring 10 through TSA.
I want to stop at the Club for a few minutes and I want to be at the gate early since I'm flying standby and don't want a middle unless I have the whole row. I'm thinking 9:30 departure from home since I can't afford to miss this flight.
Don't think the The Club will be open until January. Does anyone have information on when the United Club will open?

Last edited by QB504; Nov 13, 2019 at 3:07 pm Reason: Misspelling
Old Nov 13, 2019, 3:03 pm

The Delta SkyClub is currently open, true? Any word on how it is? Where is it located?
Old Nov 13, 2019, 3:08 pm

Programs: United
Originally Posted by ndno2
The Delta SkyClub is currently open, true? Any word on how it is? Where is it located?
The Delta SkyClub is open for business. It is located on Floor 3 in Terminal C.

Last edited by QB504; Nov 13, 2019 at 3:08 pm Reason: misspelling.
Old Nov 13, 2019, 4:08 pm

Programs: DL DM, 1.5MM, NEXUS, Sky Club Lifetime, Admirals Club Lifetime, LowValueCustomer everywhere
Originally Posted by ndno2
The Sky Club is open and is located across the corridor from the entry to the "C" gates. The elevators are not installed and it's about 36 steps up to the Club. They will take you up and/or down in the freight elevator if the stairs are too much for you to handle.
Old Nov 13, 2019, 4:14 pm

Programs: DL DM, 1.5MM, NEXUS, Sky Club Lifetime, Admirals Club Lifetime, LowValueCustomer everywhere
I've got an unexpected trip out tomorrow at noon. Trying to figure out when to get there. I'll be taking a cab or Uber from the Marigny. Used to be 20 - 30 minutes and I'm thinking that I'll allow 45 - 60. I've got Clear so I'm figuring 10 through TSA.
I want to stop at the Club for a few minutes and I want to be at the gate early since I'm flying standby and don't want a middle unless I have the whole row. I'm thinking 9:30 departure from home since I can't afford to miss this flight.
The cab ride was 25 minutes. I expected it to be worse, especially after getting of at Loyola but there was no problem.

If you don't need to actually check-in or check luggage, get dropped off at the ground floor (Arrival Level) since that's where TSA security is.

There was a crowd for Pre but CLEAR was OK. Clear needs more scanners, there are only 6 and I'd anticipate big lines at peak times.
Old Nov 13, 2019, 10:19 pm
Original Poster

Clear needs more scanners, there are only 6 and I'd anticipate big lines at peak times.
CLEAR needs more scanners?? There aren’t many people using CLEAR in my observation. In my experience at MSY, it’s the whole TSA security checkpoint that needs more scanners.
Old Nov 14, 2019, 6:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
Here's the latest from nola.com.
https://www.nola.com/news/article_e1...13bc95a85.html

As far as the TSA lines, there's reason for hope:
Koshetz said that the security lanes are not yet up to full capacity, however. The security checkpoint at the new terminal has 15 lanes, but as of Sunday only 11 could be used, a limit that still existed as of Wednesday.

She said the equipment for seven of the lanes was installed a week before the new terminal opened using surplus machines normally used only for emergency evacuations. Then four more machines were moved, one per night, from the old terminal to the new one once it opened.

Koshetz said TSA and the airport are working on getting up to the full, 15-lane capacity, which she said should be done in advance of the Thanksgiving holiday.
But the article is maddening, because the above is the only instance where they explain the problem, the cause, the planned solution, and a time frame. For all the other issues, the only response from airport officials is
“As soon as something pops up, we’re addressing it.” ,
or
“We are looking into this and taking a hard look at what’s going on and what we can do to address it,” she said. “We will look at every option to make sure we can get optimal service on the traffic on the arrivals curb.”

That's no way to build trust.
Old Nov 14, 2019, 7:25 am

Originally Posted by FLYMSY
CLEAR needs more scanners?? There aren’t many people using CLEAR in my observation. In my experience at MSY, it’s the whole TSA security checkpoint that needs more scanners.
Clear is set up with 3 scanners on the Pre side and 3 on the non-Pre side. Just about everyone was Pre so there was a backlog until one of the reps started using the regular side scanners for Pre passengers. Swapping one to the Pre side would alleviate some pressure. I was there at a relatively slow time, certainly not like last Saturday.
Old Nov 14, 2019, 3:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
Just received below via email. This is the sort of communication I was hoping for (though this is still a bit braggy).

November 14, 2019

Dear Community Partners,

Just over a week ago, the Louis Armstrong New Orleans International Airport (MSY) successfully completed an overnight transition from our former terminal to a brand new facility on the other side of the airfield. In a time where many airports in the United States are dealing with aging infrastructure and land constraints, the fact we had the opportunity to build a new terminal from the ground up at no cost to local taxpayers is a major accomplishment for our region.

Since the terminal opened, we welcomed over 310,000 travelers into the new facility, and, on average, we see about 40,000 travelers per day. As you know, airports are very complex operations with over 4,000 employees representing hundreds of different stakeholders spanning across airlines, police, ground transportation operators, skycaps, concessionaires, delivery drivers, custodial staff and parking operators just to name a few. A move of this magnitude can be compared to picking up a small city and moving it to a different location.

Before the new terminal opened, we did our due diligence in conducting simulations and tests of the new systems, modeling traffic patterns, training employees and even inviting the public into the facility so they could learn their way around. However, we knew there could be some adjustments necessary to account for actual human behavior once we began to operate in a real-world environment.

Airports are dynamic environments with systems constantly changing, and this week has been no different. Overall, we are seeing improvements in Airport operations since day 1 as Airport staff, airlines, tenants and passengers familiarize themselves with the new terminal. Moving forward we will continue to make any short-term and long-term adjustments as needed to provide a world-class experience.

I’d like to share a few updates on our progress:

Airport Access
Thanks to the interim improvements DOTD made to the I-10/Veterans/Loyola intersection, travelers have adequate access to the new terminal while DOTD works to complete the interstate flyover in 3-4 years. After observing real-world traffic patterns on opening day, DOTD and the Airport were proactive in identifying and addressing some minor changes to further enhance vehicular flow for passengers traveling to and from the terminal as well as for the community that uses that intersection.

Before the move, passengers frequently saw significant traffic delays trying to access the former terminal on busy weekends. While the new roadway is an improvement, DOTD and the Airport will continue to proactively monitor the flow of motorists and make necessary adjustments to help improve navigation and alleviate congestion.

New Airport Concessions Program
Our completely new concessions program featuring a mix of local and national restaurant and shopping options has been an overwhelming success. Concessionaires reported they have experienced more business than anticipated, and have been flexible in responding to the demand. This validates our unique vision to design a program where most concessions are located down the middle of the concourses post-security where passengers can comfortably enjoy the variety of amenities while staying close to their gates.

Consolidated TSA Checkpoint
TSA completed the installation of 12 out of 15 screening lanes, and expects to have all 15 lanes installed by the end of the week. As you know, we now have a single consolidated checkpoint. While the queuing area may appear to be full because all passengers are now funneling through a single checkpoint, the lines are continuously moving.

Despite contrary reports on Sunday, TSA has reported that wait times did not exceed 45 minutes during that peak period and that almost all were through security in 30 minutes or less. Although these times are not optimal, they will improve once all 15 lanes are functioning. During non-peak periods, TSA’s average wait times remain comparable to what we saw in the former terminal. The Airport is monitoring checkpoint wait times, and will coordinate with TSA as appropriate.

New Rideshare System
Airports across the country are facing challenges with rideshare providers impacting traffic flows around their terminals. We also faced significant challenges with rideshare impact at the former terminal. When the new MSY terminal opened, rideshare providers Uber and Lyft both launched new systems which allow travelers to use a code to take an available car rather than wait to meet a specific driver.

This process is designed to ease curb congestion and lessen wait times. However, the Airport initially experienced some congestion on the arrivals curb near the rideshare queuing lanes as drivers are becoming familiar with the new pick up process and locations. For a positive customer experience, officials from both rideshare providers as well as the Airport staff are continuing to work together to make changes such as installing new signage, enhancing driver and passenger information and stationing additional traffic control personnel in the area. We’ve already seen some improvement and will adjust further if needed.

New Inline Baggage Handling System
Prior to opening the new MSY terminal, the Airport worked with stakeholders to conduct thorough testing and simulations of the baggage handling system. After the new terminal opened, we experienced some issues with the outbound baggage system not operating properly at certain points of the day, which is to be expected when a completely new system is fully launched. That’s why the airport ensured that the baggage system contractors and construction project managers are on site during this initial transition phase. These crews have been working with all airlines throughout the day to respond, identify, and correct issues as they arise, and we’re already seeing improvement to how the system functions.

We are confident that this terminal will deliver on our promise to vastly improve the first and last thing visitors see when they come to this region with many of the features the modern passenger expects such as:
•Electrical outlets available at 50 percent of the seats in the gate hold areas
•Fast, Free Wi-Fi
•Water bottle refilling stations post-security
•Mothers Rooms
•A pet relief area post security
•3 curbside check-in locations with easy access to the Short Term Garage

Beyond all those amenities, the beautiful architecture and the world-class restaurant and shopping options, we are proud to be in the lead among other airports in the country by offering other innovative customer service features: •The new Park MSY Express Economy Garage now features convenient shuttle service and Complimentary Baggage Check-in allowing outbound passengers to check their luggage from the comfort of their vehicle before parking. This means passengers can catch the shuttle luggage-free and skip the airline ticket counter, and we are just the fourth airport in the country to offer a service like this.

•Our new Long Term and Short Term parking garages are equipped with overhead lights above the parking spaces indicating where spaces are available or occupied. This will reduce the time it takes to find a parking spot and help passengers get to their flight faster. This new technology is completing its calibration phase, and will be up and running in time for the upcoming holiday travel season.
•In the coming weeks, we will be one of about four airports in the country to offer a program allowing customers who are not flying and don’t have a boarding pass the opportunity to visit the restaurants and shops located post security. The MSY Guest Pass will be available 7 days a week from 11 a.m. to 8 p.m. to individuals who register ahead of time. This way, more people can come out and experience everything this terminal has to offer.
•We are the sixth airport to offer Uber and Lyft’s new systems allowing travelers to use a code to take the next available car in the line rather than wait to meet a specific driver.

We will continue to lean forward as we implement all these new systems, and ask the public to be patient during this transition. As always, your support is greatly appreciated.

Sincerely,

Kevin C. Dolliole
Director of Aviation
New Orleans Aviation Board
Old Nov 15, 2019, 9:35 am
Original Poster

Clear is set up with 3 scanners on the Pre side and 3 on the non-Pre side. Just about everyone was Pre so there was a backlog until one of the reps started using the regular side scanners for Pre passengers. Swapping one to the Pre side would alleviate some pressure. I was there at a relatively slow time, certainly not like last Saturday.
In my experience, Pre & Clear were using the same TWO scanners.
Old Nov 15, 2019, 7:49 pm

Originally Posted by FLYMSY
In my experience, Pre & Clear were using the same TWO scanners.
I'll be back through tomorrow and will try to take a picture of the current setup which seems to be ever changing.
Old Nov 17, 2019, 8:03 am
Original Poster

I arrived back at MSY on Friday evening around 5:15. Carryon luggage only. Went down to the baggage claim area to get to my off airport parking lot shuttle Signage is very good. I went out door #3 and shuttles come in at stands B 5&6. 13 minute shuttle ride to the parking lot. Pretty good for rush hour.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.