Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > South
Reload this Page >

New MSY Terminal opens (Nov 5, 2019) - experiences, logistics, etc.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New MSY Terminal opens (Nov 5, 2019) - experiences, logistics, etc.

Search this Thread

Old Nov 7, 2019, 1:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
Uber and Lyft had problems on day one.

https://www.wwltv.com/article/travel...4-4415257662a9

The first travelers exiting the brand new Armstrong airport Wednesday night found a new way to catch an Uber or Lyft, and about a half hour wait to do so.

“This is the craziest thing I've ever seen,” said one visitor.

At the designated rideshare pickup location outside the terminal, lines stretched 50 people long at times

"I've just landed, just walked through, and it looks really amazing, really lovely. It's kind of a shock to the system to walk out and see this huge line,” said another.

The first in, first out system keeps drivers and riders from having to find each other. Riders will receive a unique code in the app, and when they make it to the front of the line, a driver punches the code into their phone.

The system is new to New Orleans, but has been used for years at airports across the country.
Hope they can get this worked out. I always thought the system at the old terminal was great. Cars rarely took much more than 5 minutes to arrive, and there was ample space in the garage waiting area for cars to wait/load without blocking traffic.
Old Nov 7, 2019, 2:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by swag
Uber and Lyft had problems on day one.

https://www.wwltv.com/article/travel...4-4415257662a9

Hope they can get this worked out. I always thought the system at the old terminal was great. Cars rarely took much more than 5 minutes to arrive, and there was ample space in the garage waiting area for cars to wait/load without blocking traffic.
As LAX and MSY have proven with centralizing/re-doing Uber/Lyft airport pickups, if it isn't broke, they'll make sure that it gets broke really good.

David
wrp96 likes this.
Old Nov 7, 2019, 2:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Originally Posted by DELee
As LAX and MSY have proven with centralizing/re-doing Uber/Lyft airport pickups, if it isn't broke, they'll make sure that it gets broke really good
BOS too.
Old Nov 7, 2019, 2:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by Blumie
BOS too.
Ouch.

David
Old Nov 7, 2019, 2:37 pm

Programs: BA GfL
I was OK with the old system too except that it was very poorly signed (anyone visiting for the first time would be hard pressed to find the spot they were supposed to meet their driver). I got an email from Lyft yesterday that described the new system—sounds like they have some kinks to work out I hope it’s working more smoothly the next time I need to use it, which will be Dec. 19.
Old Nov 7, 2019, 4:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
Thursdays are busier than Wednesdays, I guess. WWL just reported 1-2 hour waits for Uber, Lyft, and cabs.

They need to get this fixed, and quickly.
Old Nov 7, 2019, 5:13 pm
Original Poster

I just watched WDSU news and the taxi, UBER & LYFT lines are very, very long. Looked like a hundred or more people in line for taxis. Also, there are problems with the baggage system.
I’m flying out on Monday - carryon only.

https://www.wdsu.com/article/new-msy...ystem/29730356

https://www.fox8live.com/2019/11/08/...-new-terminal/

(edit to add a second link)

Last edited by FLYMSY; Nov 7, 2019 at 8:32 pm
Old Nov 8, 2019, 6:39 am

Yes, r/NewOrleans has been blowing up with reports of crazy waits and pileups of cars in the Uber/Lyft/taxi area. I wonder if they’ll go back to the old system of sending rideshare people to a differently configured space in one of the garages. That actually worked quite well in the old airport and didn’t clog up the arrivals lane.
Old Nov 8, 2019, 9:19 am

Programs: DL Gold, UA Ag Muti-year WN Companion Pass, A+, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat Ntl EmExElite
I came in Thursday night to the new MSY, and was very impressed. Airport is beautiful, clean, spacious, all the things the old one wasn't. The Lyft area was fairly orderly, especially considering it was day 2 of the airport. Wasn't using it and was paying attention to the overall very positive changes to the airport. Experience in the past had always been a bit chaotic in the taxi area, so hard to be critical on the first days of the airport. Food options are exponentially more than in the past, but since it was late they were all closed.

Rental car situation was the shuttle ride felt like it was a ride to the Baton Rouge airport, as when we pulled it in looked a bit like the rental car return for BTR. My flight was late so it was later than I planned to arrive, and I'm sure the drive wasn't that long it was dark and rainy and nothing in the area looked familiar. The guy at the rental car place said they had timed the shuttle and you are looking at a 20 minute ride to the airport. Seemed excessive, but will see tomorrow.

Very impressed with the airport, and considering that it just opened I am amazed how complete it felt to the arriving passenger.
Old Nov 9, 2019, 8:25 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Shombolar
The Advocate newspaper food critic seems impressed with the quality of the food (having trouble posting a link here for some reason).
Here’s the link:

https://www.nola.com/entertainment_l...1c23ceecd.html
Shombolar likes this.
Old Nov 10, 2019, 9:20 am

Programs: DL DM, 1.5MM, NEXUS, Sky Club Lifetime, Admirals Club Lifetime, LowValueCustomer everywhere
Arrived yesterday with car at PNF. The PNF shuttle driver told us that they're treated like any public traffic and cannot use Bainbridge which is for on airport use only. He said because of that, it can take 20+ minutes at peak traffic times.

We'll stick with PNF for now. There are discounts for Frequent Parkers, AAA, AARP and discount codes all over the Internet including Groupon. A quick search wil get you at east a 15% discount off their $10.95 rate.
Old Nov 11, 2019, 6:23 am

This is dismaying: Anger boils over in long security lines I have four sets of visitors arriving on November 21st-24th-25th-26th and wonder what they are going to encounter. Not to mention what I am going to encounter when I first go through the new MSY on Dec. 4. Yikes.
Old Nov 11, 2019, 10:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
I know it's shocking to people that New Orleans has not been able to open up a brand new airport terminal without some significant issues, even though that's never happened anywhere in the world in the history of time. As much as all of us knew issues would happen, we also have to have some level of confidence that the issues will be addressed and hopefully resolved. It likely will not be as quick or as smooth as anyone of us would like, but let's have some confidence that it will happen.
Old Nov 11, 2019, 3:09 pm
Original Poster

Here’s my experiences from today, departing flight. This was between 2:00-3:00 Monday afternoon.

Parked at one of the private, paid lots on Airline Hwy. Shuttle ride took 11 minutes. Driver said that today is a good day as opposed to yesterday, Sunday.

TSA Security: More people in the pre-check line than I’ve ever seen, however, it only took me 8 minutes to go through. CLEAR had very few people going through their line, so no wait time for those passengers.

The restaurants from Leah’s to the end of C gates were crowded as was the terminal. It seemed like someone kicked over an anthill with so many people walking around.

If you want a quiet place to sit, go to the A terminal.

Delaware North Executive Chef was hanging out at Folse Market. Was surprised to see Susan Spicer preparing food at Mondo.
Old Nov 11, 2019, 5:46 pm

Programs: DL DM, 1.5MM, NEXUS, Sky Club Lifetime, Admirals Club Lifetime, LowValueCustomer everywhere
I've got an unexpected trip out tomorrow at noon. Trying to figure out when to get there. I'll be taking a cab or Uber from the Marigny. Used to be 20 - 30 minutes and I'm thinking that I'll allow 45 - 60. I've got Clear so I'm figuring 10 through TSA.
I want to stop at the Club for a few minutes and I want to be at the gate early since I'm flying standby and don't want a middle unless I have the whole row. I'm thinking 9:30 departure from home since I can't afford to miss this flight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.