Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > South
Reload this Page >

New MSY Terminal opens (Nov 5, 2019) - experiences, logistics, etc.

New MSY Terminal opens (Nov 5, 2019) - experiences, logistics, etc.

Old Aug 25, 22, 7:12 am
  #151  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
Posts: 14,213
Originally Posted by FLYMSY View Post
Officially, the neighborhood in question, is known as Parkview, not Bayou St. John. This is according to the Preservation Resource Center, the Historic District Landmarks Commission, the Assessorís office and the Parkview Neighborhood Association (in 2020, it merged with the City Park Neighborhood Association)..

https://prcno.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/07/mc_1.pdf

https://www.nola.gov/hdlc/documents/2019-01-11_02-parkview-historic-district/

https://www.facebook.com/groups/546324955544379/


If you look closely, youíll notice a difference in map boundaries between the PRC and the HDLC map. Iíd go with the HDLC map.
Interesting. Lots of people quibble about contradictory neighborhood definitions, but until your post, I'd thought the Parkview neighborhood was uniformly agreed on - the much smaller area bounded by Orleans, Carrollton, and the Bayou. FWIW, that's also the boundaries used by the Parkview neighborhood association until it disbanded and merged with the City Park NA in 2018. I live in the City Park neighborhood and go to CPNA meetings, I'm quite certain the boundaries don't extend past the bayou.

The HDLC district apparently was only created in 2017.
swag is offline  
Old Aug 25, 22, 8:33 am
  #152  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Posts: 2,808
I agree with you about the smaller boundaries for Parkview and much prefer those, as do the friends I have who live in the heart of Parkview (the Presidents streets). The problem is that the HDLC is a governmental agency and legally holds more sway, unfortunately. Even the assessor doesn’t agree, he includes the area around Ralph’s on the Park as being in the City Park neighborhood, while the HDLC includes it in Parkview.
FLYMSY is offline  
Old Sep 7, 22, 5:34 am
  #153  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
Posts: 14,213
Yet another roadwork delay on the flyover ramps and the newfangled intersection.
The $125 million project to build flyover ramps for a direct connection between Interstate 10 and Louis Armstrong International Airport in Kenner is facing a delay — again.

The Louisiana Department of Transportation and Development said the flyovers should be open "by summer 2023, weather permitting." That's a revision of their previous estimate pegging completion at early 2023.

Meanwhile, the opening of the new "diamond diverging interchange" on Loyola Drive, beneath the I-10 overpass in Kenner, will be postponed as well, until after the flyovers are complete, according to DOTD.
https://www.nola.com/news/article_89...2ec12efd1.html
swag is offline  
Old Sep 7, 22, 7:47 am
  #154  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Posts: 2,808
Further explanation of the diverging diamond interchange:

https://www.wwltv.com/article/news/l...e-52ef077d7b25
FLYMSY is offline  
Old Sep 7, 22, 2:19 pm
  #155  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: MSY (finally); previously NYC, BOS, AUH
Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Posts: 16,840
Originally Posted by swag View Post
Yet another roadwork delay on the flyover ramps and the newfangled intersection.

https://www.nola.com/news/article_89...2ec12efd1.html
Disappointing, but I still think itís not that big of a deal right now given how well traffic has been flowing through the intersection.
Blumie is offline  
Old Oct 1, 22, 5:56 am
  #156  
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: KUSA
Programs: Whatever AMEX Plat comes with... I buy on price.. Spirit Big Front Seat, want First/buy First
Posts: 876
Originally Posted by FLYMSY View Post
Further explanation of the diverging diamond interchange:

https://www.wwltv.com/article/news/l...e-52ef077d7b25
Best of luck to you all with this. My home exit here in Concord, NC is one of 3 or 4 in the Charlotte metro and I believe was one of the first in the state. People get confused, don't stay in lanes, generally just drive all over the place as the lanes swap sides. I turn to go toward my subdivision at the first traffic light after exiting from the interstate. I give up trying to make a right on red when exiting much of the time because there is a huge volume of cross traffic making U-turns, having missed the onramp in the diamond to I-485, so goes to the next intersection and turns back around. Thankfully I'm not on the opposite side of the interstate at the exit where people then have to contend with traffic circles and inexplicably just come to a stop like they've given up on life.
JAXPax is offline  
Old Oct 1, 22, 12:57 pm
  #157  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: MSY (finally); previously NYC, BOS, AUH
Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Posts: 16,840
Originally Posted by JAXPax View Post
Best of luck to you all with this. My home exit here in Concord, NC is one of 3 or 4 in the Charlotte metro and I believe was one of the first in the state. People get confused, don't stay in lanes, generally just drive all over the place as the lanes swap sides. I turn to go toward my subdivision at the first traffic light after exiting from the interstate. I give up trying to make a right on red when exiting much of the time because there is a huge volume of cross traffic making U-turns, having missed the onramp in the diamond to I-485, so goes to the next intersection and turns back around. Thankfully I'm not on the opposite side of the interstate at the exit where people then have to contend with traffic circles and inexplicably just come to a stop like they've given up on life.
Good thing New Orleanians are such good drivers 🙄
wakesetter93 likes this.
Blumie is offline  
Old Jan 20, 23, 5:42 pm
  #158  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: MSY (finally); previously NYC, BOS, AUH
Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Posts: 16,840
So now that I live in New Orleans, I never expected to have to rent a car at MSY again, but I flew back from NYC today and my car, with my mechanic in Elmwood (FLYMSY, I think you referred him to me; heís great), wasnít ready to come home, so I rented a car for the weekend from Avis. Wow, how inconvenient. Whereas at the old terminal you would walk to the rental car center, as has been reported in this thread you now need to take a shuttle bus. That puts MSY in line with most airports, but I wasnít expecting it to be a 20-minute bus ride. And itís not that itís that far away; Iíve never been on a shuttle bus that was driven that slowly! Iím pretty sure I could have walked faster. And it really was a full 20 minutes, although I felt to me more like two hours. Ugh, I hope I donít have to do this again!
Blumie is offline  
Old Jan 21, 23, 8:34 am
  #159  
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: SE Wisconsin
Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond
Posts: 291
Originally Posted by Blumie View Post
So now that I live in New Orleans, I never expected to have to rent a car at MSY again, but I flew back from NYC today and my car, with my mechanic in Elmwood (FLYMSY, I think you referred him to me; heís great), wasnít ready to come home, so I rented a car for the weekend from Avis. Wow, how inconvenient. Whereas at the old terminal you would walk to the rental car center, as has been reported in this thread you now need to take a shuttle bus. That puts MSY in line with most airports, but I wasnít expecting it to be a 20-minute bus ride. And itís not that itís that far away; Iíve never been on a shuttle bus that was driven that slowly! Iím pretty sure I could have walked faster. And it really was a full 20 minutes, although I felt to me more like two hours. Ugh, I hope I donít have to do this again!
hopefully there will be a direct road at some point.
Beachfun71 is offline  
Old Jan 21, 23, 9:34 am
  #160  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
Posts: 14,213
Originally Posted by Beachfun71 View Post
hopefully there will be a direct road at some point.
As the crow flies, it's under a mile. As the roads go, it's about 4 miles. But runways separate the terminal from the rental car center, so a direct road is all but impossible. The answer, of course, would be to build a new rental car center on the north side of the airport. But the old one cost almost $100 million, and was just 8 years old when the new terminal opened (just 2 years old when planning began). And the constituency for a better rental experience - visitors to the city - just doesn't have much influence.
swag is offline  
Old Jan 21, 23, 9:43 am
  #161  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Posts: 2,808
Originally Posted by Blumie View Post
So now that I live in New Orleans, I never expected to have to rent a car at MSY again, but I flew back from NYC today and my car, with my mechanic in Elmwood (FLYMSY, I think you referred him to me; heís great), Ö.
Youíre welcome - for the mechanic recommendation. Glad that worked out for you. In my business, I frequently have to give recommendations for trades people.

Hopefully, you wonít have another horror story when you return the rental.
FLYMSY is offline  
Old Jan 22, 23, 4:55 am
  #162  
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: MSY
Programs: BA GfL
Posts: 5,770
Originally Posted by Blumie View Post
I wasnít expecting it to be a 20-minute bus ride. And itís not that itís that far away; Iíve never been on a shuttle bus that was driven that slowly!
The one time I had to take the bus from the Economy garage (which is more or less next to the rental car center, right?) to the new terminal, the bus went through the airport and took under 10 minutes. Did your bus go on Vets, or did the driver just go REALLY slowly?
travelmad478 is offline  
Old Jan 22, 23, 11:45 am
  #163  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: MSY (finally); previously NYC, BOS, AUH
Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Posts: 16,840
Originally Posted by FLYMSY View Post
Hopefully, you wonít have another horror story when you return the rental.
Fortunately Iím returning to the Canal St. office.

Originally Posted by travelmad478 View Post
The one time I had to take the bus from the Economy garage (which is more or less next to the rental car center, right?) to the new terminal, the bus went through the airport and took under 10 minutes. Did your bus go on Vets, or did the driver just go REALLY slowly?
It didnít go on Vets, but cut over to the old airport access road adjacent to Vets AND drove really slow. In addition to driving what felt like 5 mph, every time we came to a stop sign it felt like we sat there way longer than was reasonably necessary. I found the entire experience to be torture. Iím just luck the driver wasnít playing The Eagles:

Blumie is offline  
Old Jan 23, 23, 6:02 am
  #164  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 17,194
Originally Posted by Blumie View Post
It didnít go on Vets, but cut over to the old airport access road adjacent to Vets AND drove really slow.
The old access road runs parallel to Williams, not Vets.

I actually donít mind shuttle ride, since now that the general airport traffic is all on the other side, getting in and out of the rental car garage is a breeze.
kale73 is offline  
Old Jan 23, 23, 1:03 pm
  #165  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: MSY (finally); previously NYC, BOS, AUH
Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Posts: 16,840
Originally Posted by kale73 View Post
I actually donít mind shuttle ride, since now that the general airport traffic is all on the other side, getting in and out of the rental car garage is a breeze.
The 20-minute shuttle bus ride was not worth the minute or two I might have saved.
Blumie is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread