Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > South
Reload this Page >

New MSY Terminal opens (Nov 5, 2019) - experiences, logistics, etc.

New MSY Terminal opens (Nov 5, 2019) - experiences, logistics, etc.

Old Jul 30, 2022, 9:05 am

Programs: BA GfL
Originally Posted by Blumie
When I have friends pick me up at the airport, I always have them come to the upper (departures) level, outer roadway.
Yes, I always use the departures level to pick people up, but it would be nice if the arrivals level could actually handle the traffic.
Old Jul 30, 2022, 11:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
Agree traffic doesn't really back up, it's just the couple of minutes it takes to get through the two lights. No big deal, but multiplied by 10 million passengers annually, I'm glad they're building the ramps.

They really need to solve the parking problems. The parking has filled completely every weekend this summer except the remote economy garage. I had to pick up and drop off my mother last week, and ack of parking made this very challenging. Curbside may not be a viable option for those who are elderly or disabled. The eventual ideal solution ought to be an additional terminal-adjacent garage, but that's tens of millions of dollars and years of construction, and not even being discussed, afaik.. But unless/until that's done, I'd like to see them designate maybe a hundred or so spots in the short term lot as true short term parking, with an enforced 1-2 hour limit. DFW does this, and you can always find a spot for pick ups or drop offs.
Old Jul 30, 2022, 4:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Originally Posted by swag
They really need to solve the parking problems.
I parked in the short-term lot this morning (Saturday morning) at 5:45am for a 2-day trip and was surprised how crowded it was. I have another 2-day trip next Friday morning at the same time. Theres no chance Ill be shut out of the short-term lot, is there?

For these quick trips the short-term lot prices out about the same as Uber and I prefer to drive myself.
Old Jul 31, 2022, 6:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I parked in the short-term lot this morning (Saturday morning) at 5:45am for a 2-day trip and was surprised how crowded it was. I have another 2-day trip next Friday morning at the same time. Theres no chance Ill be shut out of the short-term lot, is there?

For these quick trips the short-term lot prices out about the same as Uber and I prefer to drive myself.
I assume the overnight pattern is that late arrivals (after the last departures) vacate some spots. And then early morning departures fill those few spots up.

This past Friday morning, https://flymsy.com/parking/ showed the parking full (except the remote economy garage) when I first checked around 7 am. There had been a couple of hundred spots open the night before. When we actually arrived at the airport around 8:45, the garages were indeed full, and the entrances were blocked off preventing you from even looking for a single just-vacated spot. So yes, there's a risk of getting shut out. The earlier you go, the better your chances.

I suppose the good news is that schools start Aug 12, meaning fewer weekend leisure travelers after that, so maybe only a couple more weekends of full parking, until the winter holidays.
Old Jul 31, 2022, 11:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I assume the overnight pattern is that late arrivals (after the last departures) vacate some spots. And then early morning departures fill those few spots up.
Whats the travel time from and to the remote parking lot? If I show up an hour before a flight (already checked in, no checked bags, and access to Clear/pre-check security), will I safely make my flight if I get stuck in remote parking? And if I land at midnight, how much time back to my car?
Old Jul 31, 2022, 1:05 pm
Original Poster

I suppose the good news is that schools start Aug 12, meaning fewer weekend leisure travelers after that, so maybe only a couple more weekends of full parking, until the winter holidays.
Actually, the news is even better. Some Metro school systems are having their staff development days this week, starting 8/1. Many schools have the first student days as 8/8 and some in Orleans Parish have their first student day tomorrow, 8/1.
swag likes this.
Old Jul 31, 2022, 1:40 pm

What’s the travel time from and to the remote parking lot? If I show up an hour before a flight (already checked in, no checked bags, and access to Clear/pre-check security), will I safely make my flight if I get stuck in remote parking? And if I land at midnight, how much time back to my car?
If you show up an hour before and only then realize that you have to go back to the economy lot, you’re probably toast. I would bank on at least 30 minutes extra time vs. parking in the short-term lot. You have to get there, wander around to find a spot, make your way down to the shuttle pickup point on the ground floor, potentially wait up to 15 minutes for the shuttle, and then it’s a 10-minute ride. In other words, a PITA vs. the 5-minute walk from short-term parking (which is where I normally park, because it’s only $2/day more than long-term, which is nuts but I’ll take it!)

There’s only been one instance where I had to scamper over to the economy lot after getting shut out of both ST and LT. Luckily, that one instance was one in which we got to the airport about 75 minutes before our flight—I dumped Mr. travelmad478 at Departures with our bags and then tore back to the old airport to park there. I made the mistake of going on Vets, which was a trafficky nightmare at the time, but got lucky in that the shuttle was there when I sprinted down to it and left immediately. I got to the gate about 40 minutes before flight time.
Old Aug 2, 2022, 9:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I arrived back at MSY just after midnight on Sunday night and was surprised how full the lot remained I walked to one end of the 3rd floor before remembering that I had parked on the opposite end 😬 although unlike Saturday morning there were plenty of spots.
Old Aug 8, 2022, 8:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The reason so many of us park in short-term parking:

I had a 7am flight on Friday and a return flight late Sunday night. I parked in the short-term lot around 5:45am on Friday, this time securing a spot on the 4th level (i.e., adjacent to the walkway directly to the terminal) and was in the lounge for coffee and breakfast before 6am.

My return flight was just over an hour late, arriving at 1:02am on Sunday night/Monday morning. I was first out of the plane, walked the length of the terminal and up to the departures level, got to my car in the garage, drove from the 4th level down to the first, paid for three days parking ($66, a little cheaper than a round-trip Uber or taxi), and was at home in mid-city/bayou St. John (I think technically its bayou St. John based on official maps Ive seen, but Im uncomfortable saying that since Im on the wrong side of Orleans Avenue!), and in my home at 1:27am, exactly 25 minutes after the aircraft door opened.
kirkwoodj likes this.
Old Aug 8, 2022, 11:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The reason so many of us park in short-term parking:

I had a 7am flight on Friday and a return flight late Sunday night. I parked in the short-term lot around 5:45am on Friday, this time securing a spot on the 4th level (i.e., adjacent to the walkway directly to the terminal) and was in the lounge for coffee and breakfast before 6am.

My return flight was just over an hour late, arriving at 1:02am on Sunday night/Monday morning. I was first out of the plane, walked the length of the terminal and up to the departures level, got to my car in the garage, drove from the 4th level down to the first, paid for three days parking ($66, a little cheaper than a round-trip Uber or taxi), and was at home in mid-city/bayou St. John (I think technically its bayou St. John based on official maps Ive seen, but Im uncomfortable saying that since Im on the wrong side of Orleans Avenue!), and in my home at 1:27am, exactly 25 minutes after the aircraft door opened.
The neighborhood associations use Orleans as the boundary, but the City Planning Commission says the boundary is St Louis St. So take your pick.

As far as parking, the short term garage provides on average the closest parking spots. But if you get lucky, I think the best spots in the long term garage and even the surface lot are closer than the best spots in long term, especially if you measure distance from TSA or baggage claim.
Old Aug 8, 2022, 3:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The neighborhood associations use Orleans as the boundary, but the City Planning Commission says the boundary is St Louis St. So take your pick.
Thats pretty funny, and obnoxious, that the neighborhood association excluded those of us on the wrong side of the tracks. 😀
Old Aug 8, 2022, 5:22 pm

in my home at 1:27am, exactly 25 minutes after the aircraft door opened.
Damn, I thought I drove fast, but you must be going 100 mph It takes me 25 minutes to get to the airport from my house (Uptown near State/Magazine) with no traffic at 4 AM.
Old Aug 8, 2022, 5:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by travelmad478
Damn, I thought I drove fast, but you must be going 100 mph It takes me 25 minutes to get to the airport from my house (Uptown near State/Magazine) with no traffic at 4 AM.
I had my cruise set at 75. 🙂
Old Aug 21, 2022, 3:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by travelmad478
I had my cruise set at 75. 🙂
Todays (Sundays) return flight arrived just before 4pm, so not surprisingly the airport was more crowded and the traffic heavier than when I arrived at 1am. Consequently, today it took me 31 minutes from opening the aircraft door until I arrived home in mid city (bayou St. John).
Old Aug 24, 2022, 8:38 pm
Original Poster

…. and was at home in mid-city/bayou St. John (I think technically it’s bayou St. John based on official maps I’ve seen, but I’m uncomfortable saying that since I’m on the wrong side of Orleans Avenue!),
Officially, the neighborhood in question, is known as Parkview, not Bayou St. John. This is according to the Preservation Resource Center, the Historic District Landmarks Commission, the Assessor’s office and the Parkview Neighborhood Association (in 2020, it merged with the City Park Neighborhood Association)..

https://prcno.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/07/mc_1.pdf

https://www.nola.gov/hdlc/documents/2019-01-11_02-parkview-historic-district/

https://www.facebook.com/groups/546324955544379/

If you look closely, you’ll notice a difference in map boundaries between the PRC and the HDLC map. I’d go with the HDLC map.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.