Community
Wiki Posts
Search

HardRock hotel under construction collapses in New Orleans

Search this Thread

Old Oct 12, 2019, 4:10 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
HardRock hotel under construction collapses in New Orleans

According to network news, this happened this morning (Saturday October 12, 2019), with one dead and three missing so far. Fortunately, no one on the streets and sidewalks around the site has been reported as having been injured. The construction site is three blocks from Bourbon Street.
Old Oct 12, 2019, 10:27 pm

Programs: Marriot Rewards, AC Aeroplan, UA MileagePlus, WN Rapid Rewards
A very sad day here in New Orleans. They found one of the missing workers, but two are still unaccounted for. A portion of Canal St. remains closed as the building is still unstable and may collapse further. Obviously, an investigation into the cause of the collapse will be undertaken and the existing structure will have to be demolished in a safe manner.
Old Oct 13, 2019, 10:01 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat
It’s awful. We are staying on the next block. Entire block in evacuation zone and surrounding blocks closed off to traffic. Our car is trapped in the parking deck next to the collapse. Not sure when we will be able to retrieve to head home.

The lack of stability of the crane is scary because it is very tall and could do serious destruction if it fails. They’ve said the building itself is now stable. But those cranes, no.
Old Oct 13, 2019, 10:06 am
Original Poster

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Do you feel safe staying in the next block? (BTW, what hotel? I don't have a sense of where the HardRock hotel was being built, other than it's been described as being on the edge of the French Quarter.)
Old Oct 13, 2019, 12:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Silver
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Do you feel safe staying in the next block? (BTW, what hotel? I don't have a sense of where the HardRock hotel was being built, other than it's been described as being on the edge of the French Quarter.)
Not the OP, but the Saint, a Marriott Autograph is at the corner of the next block. I stay there often.
Old Oct 13, 2019, 7:04 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat
Courtyard. Yes, it’s safe here. The HRH was the northern half block (Rampart/Burgundy/Iberville/Canal) and we are on the other side of Burgundy.

We spoke with the police dept today and they were basically like “no go for a while...could be days or weeks.” So I’m not sure what choice we have but to leave our car and head home in a rental. I’m frustrated bc it is a new, nice, expensive car. And I’m concerned they will open it up for a set period for cars to get out then close it again. We won’t be here to deal with it. And I have no one to leave a key with. Don’t trust the parking company because they don’t even answer the phone or reply to emails.

We have no provision in our auto insurance for something like this as far as I can tell. We will have to pay for car rental and return trip.
Old Oct 13, 2019, 7:12 pm
Original Poster

Ouch. No travel insurance to cover any additional expenses either?

Can your hotel do anything to help? Did you just park in a public garage or is it a hotel facility of some sort (reduced rate or overnight in and out privileges, for example)? And would you feel comfortable leaving a car key with the GM?
Old Oct 13, 2019, 9:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
It's on the French Quarter side of Rampart St, the full block from Canal to Iberville. The collapse was on the Rampart St side of the building, and any further collapse will likely be in that direction. The Saenger Theater is across Rampart St, and they've canceled shows through the end of the month (the touring show of Wicked).

Also across Rampart a block and a half down is a Homewood Suites. I'm sure they have impacts as well, the roads on all sides of the hotel are closed.

I was a few blocks away today, and it's pretty scary to see. The building looks like a Salvador Dali painting, with the side of the building away from Rampart intact, and the other half of the building looking like it's melting.
Old Oct 13, 2019, 9:21 pm

Ouch. No travel insurance to cover any additional expenses either?

Can your hotel do anything to help? Did you just park in a public garage or is it a hotel facility of some sort (reduced rate or overnight in and out privileges, for example)? And would you feel comfortable leaving a car key with the GM?
The hotel is as frustrated as we are. They can’t get any deliveries and can’t even get their trash picked up. City isn’t letting any large trucks anywhere near these two blocks for fear the movement could trigger crane collapse. Suffice it to say that nobody is getting in or out of the evac or closure zone any time soon. Police laughed when we asked if it’d be a couple of days. They are suggesting weeks. I sure hope they are wrong.

I don’t generally get additional travel insurance for a weekend getaway where we drive and use mostly points for hotel. This is a bizarre situation. I’m not even sure we’d be covered. We parked in a public paid lot with in/out privileges bc 1/2 the cost of hotel valet (plus I hate valet). Could stay another day if it would make a difference but it won’t. And we need to get back to work at home. Kids have school etc.

I could leave a key with GM, perhaps. But then what do I ask him to do with our car if they allow it out? That’s a big ask. I’d need a couple of days to get back here. Ugh! If they open the garage for a short while, I’ll try to get the car towed somewhere. Right now, no one from the parking company has responded to our calls or email. I doubt they will communicate anything with us. So I need to figure out how to get information.

I would think that the construction company (or other liable party) would have to pay for claims from folks displaced. There are around 30 residences inaccessible and without electricity and water, and those families are having to relocate. Once they set something up for claims, I would think we’d be reimbursed. But that’s going to be a long time from now. Thankfully we only have this problem and not something worse. We will be out around $500+ and the use of our car and of course our time for another trip back here. But we weren’t hurt. Thank goodness.
Old Oct 17, 2019, 6:40 pm

Programs: BA GfL
Stgermainparis, if you would feel comfortable with it, I (or, I’m sure, another MSY-based FTer) would gladly help out with the car issue. In fact that very garage is the one I left my car in for the whole month of September when I was traveling in Australia and New Zealand and didn’t want to leave my car on the street in front of my house. When I realized that the cars in there were trapped indefinitely, I was very glad that I returned when I did!

PM me if you would like to discuss options for your car. I would be happy to spring it from its prison as soon as you get the OK. I’m also surprised that Premium Parking did not answer your calls—I got through to them with no problems when I was researching costs for the various garages. They have a central number you can call.
pbiflyer likes this.
Old Oct 17, 2019, 6:50 pm

Originally Posted by travelmad478
Stgermainparis, if you would feel comfortable with it, I (or, I’m sure, another MSY-based FTer) would gladly help out with the car issue. In fact that very garage is the one I left my car in for the whole month of September when I was traveling in Australia and New Zealand and didn’t want to leave my car on the street in front of my house. When I realized that the cars in there were trapped indefinitely, I was very glad that I returned when I did!

PM me if you would like to discuss options for your car. I would be happy to spring it from its prison as soon as you get the OK. I’m also surprised that Premium Parking did not answer your calls—I got through to them with no problems when I was researching costs for the various garages. They have a central number you can call.
You are so kind! I started a new thread seeking advice. Everyone has been so generous, like you, with offers to help and words of wisdom. We are en route back to NOLA now bc Fire dept may be able to get it out. I’ll PM is we need more help. Thank you!
Old Oct 17, 2019, 7:18 pm

Programs: BA GfL
Just read your other thread, which I hadn’t seen earlier. Sounds like things are moving in the right direction...good luck! Let me know if you do end up needing some kind of assistance.
Stgermainparis and wrp96 like this.
Old Oct 17, 2019, 8:52 pm

Here’s info on getting cars out of the Premium Parking garage:

https://www.fox8live.com/2019/10/17/...trieving-cars/
Old Oct 20, 2019, 3:42 pm

Wanted to update here as well. Fantastic NOFD got out car out on Friday. Thank goodness bc evidently the blast today blew out windows as far away as the Roosevelt Hotel.

I’m still worried for the city bc one crane still up but crippled. It’s got to be a logistical nightmare for them.
travelmad478 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.