Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Key Largo, Islamarado or Marathon

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10, 2009, 8:09 am
Original Poster

Key Largo, Islamarado or Marathon

I am looking to rent a house for a week in the Keys and I am down to these three locations. I have had a ton of offers but am now wondering which would serve my purpose best. Can anyone give the plus and minus towards each? I enjoy fishing.
Thanks!
Old Jan 10, 2009, 9:38 am
Suspended

Programs: AA; USairways; United; British Air
If you're arriving by car then the easiest to reach will be Key Largo which is the first major town as you come down the 1. This is a very busy area by Keys standards, but again it does have the virtue of being closest to the mainland and MIA, and I don't know the set-up with game fishing operators but I'm sure it has one or more reputable ones. For a quieter getaway you should consider Islamorada, which has plenty of dining choices and one of the best big game fishing operators in the Keys, called Bud N' Mary's. Check their website at: www.budnmarys.com, toll-free tel: 1-800 742-7945. They've been in operation for over 40 years and have hosted many well-known figures over the years. They also have rooms to rent. I personally stayed at Cheeca Lodge up the road but this hotel has recently had a huge fire in the past 10 days that damaged much of the main building and dining area.
Old Jan 10, 2009, 11:43 am

Programs: Hilton, AA,, Delta
Islamorada

There's also a Hampton Inn and Suites that is nice on Isla. It shares space with an Outback Steakhouse which is convenient for the odd snack or meal.
Kaiyo is a really good place to eat and the Green Turtle has a good bar.
Old Jan 11, 2009, 4:52 pm

Programs: WOH (G)lobotimized, SPG Tarnished Gold
For renting a house/villa with easy access to fishing, my vote is for the Marathon area, which IMHO is quieter and more laid back than the other two areas you mentioned. There is a nice community of very pleasant newer residential properties in the surrounding keys, such as Vaca, as well as a passable selection of eateries. You will find good fishing/boating opportunities anywhere in the keys.
Old Jan 12, 2009, 9:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton Gold, DL DIrt Medallion
Definitely choose between Islamorada or Marathon. Key Largo doesn't really "feel" like the Keys. As mentioned, Marathon will be more laid back than Isla, Isla offers some of the best fishing in the world (see Bud n' Mary's), but both are nice places that will really let you feel the Keys' vibe.
Old Jan 15, 2009, 2:31 pm
Original Poster

I appreciate the feedback. So basically, the Islamadora houses are more expensive by atleast $500 than Marathon...and there isn't enough to discern the two?
Old Jan 15, 2009, 6:37 pm

Programs: Delta Skymiles Gold Medallion, Marriott Silver
Marathon

I prefer Marathon. There is very good fishing nearby. Lenny Moffo is an excellent guide (305-872-4683) who I have used a number of times. He always puts you on the fish. I prefer the Banana Bay Lodge in Marathon. Kind of old and funky, but with all the amenities.
Old Jul 22, 2019, 1:19 pm

Originally Posted by paularmor
I prefer Marathon. There is very good fishing nearby. Lenny Moffo is an excellent guide (305-872-4683) who I have used a number of times. He always puts you on the fish. I prefer the Banana Bay Lodge in Marathon. Kind of old and funky, but with all the amenities.
any updates on this? has the banana bay resort in marathon changed since then?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.