Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > South
Reload this Page >

Miami - South Beach hotel?

Old Jul 3, 19, 8:33 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Silver (2019)

We're spending one night in Miami in December, pre-cruise. We think we'd like to stay in South Beach because we've never been. We arrive before noon on a Saturday, sailing out from port of Miami on Sunday. We'll be on a Caribbean cruise for 2 weeks (with my in-laws ;-) so we don't need to be ON the beach or even have a beach view. But we'd like to see the art deco (have already found a walking tour [DIY] and will look for other things like that) and have a nice meal (not necessarily "fancy", just a nice meal....) Just walk around and explore is likely what we will do (no clubs/parties for us either...)

Right now I'm leaning toward the Mondrian with a Bay View. Husband's top picks are the Marriotte Stanton (which is $100 more than Mondrian right now), the Beacon, or the Bentley.

Would love input (I've searched and read this forum for other South Beach hotel ideas - many people seemed to be looking for luxury, or a particular brand - I don't want either. I mean, I love luxury, but I want to keep this hotel below $350 if I can (Stanton is over, Mondrian bay view with the resort fee included is also more than $350....I think the others were around $250) Thanks!!
Old Jul 3, 19, 9:21 am

I recommend staying on Collins Ave below 25th street. The Mondarin isnít in a great spot. The Bentley is a nice hotel.

One of the nice things about Miami Beach is you donít need a car if youíre on the ocean side. Everything can be accessed on foot. Ocean Drive is also good, but itís going to be louder.
Hoyaheel likes this.
Old Jul 3, 19, 10:07 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by NYC_1 View Post
The Mondarin isnít in a great spot.
But, a great spot for what, exactly? We know it's on the other side from the main drag, but that is still walkable - it's not even a mile across to the beach? This is the walking tour I mentioned - Google tells me it will be 4 miles if I do it in this order, starting from the Mondrian....
We definitely won't have a car. We'll do lyft from airport and to the port and if necessary while we're in South Beach but our general plan is to walk. Will look again at the Bentley - thanks!
Old Jul 3, 19, 10:23 am

For a short stay if location isnít important then yes I that would work. Anywhere in Miami Beach is fine if youíre willing to add a few miles of walking or Lyft trips. It is not the choice I would make but I understand it. Youíll have a very different experience over there, though.
Hoyaheel likes this.
Old Jul 4, 19, 2:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, Starwood Plat, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Hilton Silver
Originally Posted by Hoyaheel View Post
But, a great spot for what, exactly? We know it's on the other side from the main drag, but that is still walkable - it's not even a mile across to the beach? This is the walking tour I mentioned - Google tells me it will be 4 miles if I do it in this order, starting from the Mondrian....
We definitely won't have a car. We'll do lyft from airport and to the port and if necessary while we're in South Beach but our general plan is to walk. Will look again at the Bentley - thanks!
While those are nice spots on the tour, you need to do Lincoln Road mall and at least pop into Mac's Deuce Club for a couple more Art Deco highlights.
Hoyaheel likes this.
Old Jul 5, 19, 5:03 am
Original Poster

Thanks - adding those spots to the walking tour ;-)

Search this Thread