Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > South
Reload this Page >

Looking for neighborhoods in ATL, RDU, BNA area

Old Jun 4, 19, 6:51 pm
Original Poster

Hi all,

Due to a series of circumstances, I'm looking at transferring from SLC to somewhere in the south - probably either Atlanta, the Raleigh-Durham area, or possibly Nashville.

I haven't spent time in any of these cities, but I would like to know if there are any particular neighborhoods that might suit my fancy.

If you're familiar with SLC area, I live in Sugarhouse. It's an older neighborhood (most homes built from 1890-1940) in close proximity to downtown, but not actually downtown. It's very walkable and bikeable - there are a variety of restaurants, shops and services all within a mile. We are looking to avoid suburbia and McMansions.

I'm hoping there is something of a similar nature in these cities that I could consider. Any locals have some suggestions?
Hoyaheel likes this.

Last edited by MastaHanky; Jun 4, 19 at 7:12 pm
Old Jun 5, 19, 7:59 am

Programs: Marriott (Silver/Gold), IHG, Carlson, Best Western, Choice( Gold), AS (MVP), WN, UA
My brother has lived in Nashville for almost 25 years. have travelled there over 100 times...am very familiar with the city.

home prices in Nashville have skyrocketed.my brother has had 2 homes. He bought one on the east side of Nashville where it was designated a historic neightborhood. When he did interior remodeling he had to follow historic code. The home he bought had a carpeted undeveloped heated atic. He went in and made it 2 BR, 1 bath, and laundry room area. Downstairs the kitchen and dinning room were merged along with the master bedroom into a larger kitchen. He sold it a yr after doing this because he hated driving the kids. He sold this home and moved closer to where he worked and the kids went to school. He moved around the time the time the housing market was about to collapse around 2006-2007.

The place he moved to is in walking distance of work and the kids school. This home has more than doubled since he bought it.

The problem in the city is traffic. its a problem living in the outer city area then commuting into downtown. There isnt much public transportation

The city has a good lifestyle with various options on stuff to do.

I have traveled to Atlanta multple times for work. For years I had relatives there.

Atlanta does have a subway line linking the airport to the downtown area. this is a place where things are very separate. Atlanta Braves had a stadum built not in downtown but where their fans seemed to live mostly. It also happens to be in the area of CNN and COKE H\Q. Atlanta is just spread out.

I almost when to grad school at NC State.

With Raleigh Durham are 3 cities separated by 10 miles each. Raleigh is the state capitol and NC State, The Arena the Carolina Hurricanes play is on the NC state campus next to the footballk stadium. Durham has Duje, and then Chapeal Hill has UNC. there is a large tech area called RTP...research triangle park.

I would say no to Atlanta.

Tennessee is a no income tax state.
Old Jun 5, 19, 10:38 am

Programs: Delta Silver (2019)
I live in rural NC and work at Duke (I live 30 miles north of campus. I wouldn't recommend it- but I love rural living.) I would love to retire to the Hillsborough historic district. Cute, walkable, lots of nice restaurants, walking trails. Decent schools (Orange county) but still cheaper than Chapel Hill/Carrboro. Durham has some cute & renovated neighborhoods, typically around Duke. I don't know Raleigh at all - I moved to Carrboro for grad school and from there moved up to rural Person County.

When I lived in SLC, I lived on Capitol Hill ;-) (grad school back in the mid-90s)

While I'd love a walkable neighborhood, we have 7 acres so I get a lot of privacy and gardening. We're an hour from RDU which meets my travel needs, and I'm 30 miles from my job - not ideal, but I've also lived in DC so a long commute isn't a problem. At least now I don't have traffic ;-)
Old Jun 5, 19, 10:39 am

Knowing what I do, I think I would concentrate on Raleigh (well, if it's up to you and not your work) if it were me. Weather is not as hot as Atlanta. Land is pretty. I can speak mostly for Atlanta, it's a lot bigger than most people think. It's not a cute, southern small city.

I lived in Atlanta for years and know it really well. There definitely are neighborhoods like what you describe that have transitioned recently. A few years ago, the only places like that were really VA Highlands, Decatur, and some other small enclaves. Atlanta went suburb crazy for decades and people commuted 30, 40, 50 miles in daily. A lot of people are moving back closer to the city now because the suburbs are just hell and the traffic is.... legendary to say the least. Atlanta being to your liking would hugely depend on where your office would be. Do you know where your company is located?
Old Jun 5, 19, 12:37 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MissJ View Post
Knowing what I do, I think I would concentrate on Raleigh (well, if it's up to you and not your work) if it were me. Weather is not as hot as Atlanta. Land is pretty. I can speak mostly for Atlanta, it's a lot bigger than most people think. It's not a cute, southern small city.

I lived in Atlanta for years and know it really well. There definitely are neighborhoods like what you describe that have transitioned recently. A few years ago, the only places like that were really VA Highlands, Decatur, and some other small enclaves. Atlanta went suburb crazy for decades and people commuted 30, 40, 50 miles in daily. A lot of people are moving back closer to the city now because the suburbs are just hell and the traffic is.... legendary to say the least. Atlanta being to your liking would hugely depend on where your office would be. Do you know where your company is located?
Thanks for the info. The Atlanta location of my company is in Sandy Springs, and the RDU location is in Morristown. I work in tech, and I know there are a lot of options available in the RDU area so I'm kind of leaning that way, but Atlanta also has some compelling things for me too.

Can anyone speak as to the arts scene in either city? The entire family is very active in community theater (both performing and attending), and
Hoyaheel likes this.
Old Jun 5, 19, 4:04 pm

Programs: Delta Silver (2019)
When DPAC (Durham Performing Arts Center) opened a few years ago, I was THRILLED. Have had Broadway touring show season tickets for a few years. They get concerts, host a lot of the American Dance Festival that used to be at Duke. Lots of small clubs in Durham and Chapel HIll Carrboro. One of the professors I work with is also a DJ for the university radio station and he's going out almost every week to see shows (this is not my thing these days - also, the drive ;-) Of course, all the universities have music, theater & dance productions as well (and then SO MANY other free events - all the lectures, the gardens & arboretums [arboreta?]) If you're somewhere in the RTP area (and it IS a big geographic area and the traffic sometimes sucks!) there is LOTS to do.

I am less familiar with community theater but know there's a group that does a lot of Gilbert & Sullivan - had a former co-worker who was always in a show or working tech on a show. Have to assume she does more now that she's retired ;-) [Google tells me other options exist as well!]

When I moved to NC in 1998, it felt like home to me. I was born in IL, grew up in CT, lived in DC, UT, Belgium.....But I've now been here longer than I've lived anywhere else and really don't see myself leaving.....
Old Jun 6, 19, 9:19 am

Programs: HH Diamond; National EE
Originally Posted by Hoyaheel View Post
When DPAC (Durham Performing Arts Center) opened a few years ago, I was THRILLED. Have had Broadway touring show season tickets for a few years. They get concerts, host a lot of the American Dance Festival that used to be at Duke. Lots of small clubs in Durham and Chapel HIll Carrboro. One of the professors I work with is also a DJ for the university radio station and he's going out almost every week to see shows (this is not my thing these days - also, the drive ;-) Of course, all the universities have music, theater & dance productions as well (and then SO MANY other free events - all the lectures, the gardens & arboretums [arboreta?]) If you're somewhere in the RTP area (and it IS a big geographic area and the traffic sometimes sucks!) there is LOTS to do.

I am less familiar with community theater but know there's a group that does a lot of Gilbert & Sullivan - had a former co-worker who was always in a show or working tech on a show. Have to assume she does more now that she's retired ;-) [Google tells me other options exist as well!]

When I moved to NC in 1998, it felt like home to me. I was born in IL, grew up in CT, lived in DC, UT, Belgium.....But I've now been here longer than I've lived anywhere else and really don't see myself leaving.....
This is correct. DPAC is phenomenal.

We lived in McMansion/Suburbia in Chapel Hill, NC and Marietta, GA so I can't really comment on the best neighborhood for you. However, if I had to pick either place to move back to, the RDU area would be it.

You're 2 hours from the coast and 2 hours from the mountains. The food (agriculturally) is great. There are so many local farmers markets (Pittsboro, Carrboro, etc.) if you go hungry, its your own fault.

I love Atlanta and the healthcare, transportation, and cultural resources. It's just too big and cumbersome to navigate. The RDU area is just as good in terms of healthcare. RDU itself is an awesome mid-size airport, and each of the 3 towns have their own cultural events.
Hoyaheel likes this.
Old Jun 6, 19, 9:22 am

Sandy Springs - that's still a really broad area. If you are north, up 400, you're pretty suburban. If you are down around the north arc of 285, much closer to the city but horribly inconvenient to places like Decatur. Around Perimeter Mall, that's actually pretty close to where I lived in Brookhaven and there are some nice areas around there. I loved that part of town. Dunwoody proper might suit you as well. Public transport is really spotty in the area though. The train goes north by the mall and up 400 a little, but it's a straight line, no branches, not something a lot of people can walk to. I could when I lived in my first place in Brookhaven and that was really nice. I was right near Peachtree and North Druid. Atlanta is like a prettier Houston, IMO, it really can take a lot of time and effort to get places so I stayed in my own area a lot. That's why I chose Brookhaven. It's in the city, it's nice, it's got good shops, restaurants, etc, but going to the other enclaves - which really offered a lot - were often just weekend things. All the cool new stuff over on the westside was so fun, but on a Tuesday.... ugh. 45+ minutes for my 11 mile commute and I was just ready to eat dinner at home and not do much else. Add rain or a wreck on 285... oh dear. Took me 2 hours to get to a restaurant for dinner one night and I had to go because I had organized the dinner myself. Missed an international flight on a Saturday night because the connector was shut down for a wreck. Took me three hours to get from my house to ATL and I know every way to get around that city, but traffic just shuts it down and there is nothing you can do. Everyone in Atlanta has 100 stories of traffic that made them miss something. Floods, tornadoes, Atlanta has it all.

As for theater, I wish I knew more about it but I don't have a lot of insight there. I've been to larger productions and the symphony many times, but nothing smaller that I can think of right now. There is definitely a lot of art in the city.
Old Jun 8, 19, 5:50 pm
Original Poster

Do you have any thoughts on the suburb of East Point? The style seems interesting to us, but the home prices seem to indicate that itís less desirable.
Old Jun 8, 19, 8:42 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, MR Gold, Club Carlson Gold
East Point is very hit or miss, and mostly miss. Sounds like you are not thinking condo. I have friends who live right near the Buckhead Marta stop and they like it fine. That is on the North line which goes to Sandy Springs. If it's houses you want , maybe something like the Murphey Candler Park area could work. More money would be something like Peachtree Hills, west of the Lindbergh Marta stop.

Hard to suggest as price is such a variable.
Old Jun 8, 19, 8:44 pm

East point? Let's just say I've spent very little time there but know plenty about it. There has been some development in some small pockets of it very recently but that's still a hard no area for me.
Old Jun 13, 19, 1:41 pm

Yeah I would not think East Point would suit your needs, especially if you need to get up to Sandy Springs for work every day. In my opinion, the walkable neighborhoods within the city but without a downtown feel to them would be Inman Park, Old 4th Ward, Grant Park, Reynoldstown, Cabbagetown, Glenwood Park and to a lesser extent Ormewood Park, West End, and Summerhill. West End and Summerhill are both the more recently developed/developing neighborhoods so there are some pockets that are good and some that are not so good in those areas. I would also look at Decatur, Oakhurst, or Kirkwood if your budget allows for it. Granted most of these are all on the southeast side of town, which is where I live and spend most of my time. I'm sure there are some nicer places further north into the Buckhead, Brookhaven area but it starts to feel a little too suburby for me if you go too far north.

I don't know much about the theater scene, but I know the Fox Theater regularly attracts pretty big productions. There is also a pretty good community of local painters/artists here if that's something anyone is into.