Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > South
Reload this Page >

Good Eats near RDU - evening

Old May 24, 19, 10:06 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM, AS MVPG 75K, MR-LT Titanium, HH Gold

Will be returning a car to Budget in RDU around 8PM to 9PM. Coming in from the direction of Asheville, NC.
I have 3 questions:
1. Any good BBQ places (or other type of restaurants) you would recommend, near the airport?
2. Is the Budget Return area easy to find?
3. Nearest airport gas station?

TIA

Last edited by allset2travel; May 24, 19 at 10:10 pm Reason: edit to add
Old May 25, 19, 7:34 am

Programs: MR LT Titanium, IHG Plat., SWA A-List,UA Premier Silver, & PA/OH Turnpike Million Miler
There is a Sheetz gas station on Aviation Pkwy that is within 2 miles of the car rental complex. There is reasonable signage to the car rental complex including the Budget lot and it is not to hard follow.

For good eats nearby, I don't know. So far I have only made two trips to the area but I expect to be going there semi-regularly in the future. Maybe other folks will have some good suggestions on places to eat for us.

--Jon
Old May 25, 19, 2:31 pm

Programs: Delta Silver (2019)
We drive in on 70 (north of airport, where I assume you'll be coming in on I-40, so south of airport) so when we want food before heading home (we're ~50 miles from the airport) we usually eat at the Thai place in Brier Creek shopping center. https://www.shopbriercreekcommons.com/ [now I see it's called Champa Thai ;-)] Sorry I can't help with bbq - as we don't live near there, I don't know any good spots.
allset2travel likes this.
Old May 25, 19, 8:14 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Jon Maiman View Post
There is a Sheetz gas station on Aviation Pkwy that is within 2 miles of the car rental complex. There is reasonable signage to the car rental complex including the Budget lot and it is not to hard follow.

For good eats nearby, I don't know. So far I have only made two trips to the area but I expect to be going there semi-regularly in the future. Maybe other folks will have some good suggestions on places to eat for us.

--Jon
Jon,
Gas station noted. Thank you very much.
Old May 25, 19, 8:18 pm
Original Poster

Hoyaheel,

Appreciate your chiming in. I will following the link and see if there is something interests us.
Thanks
Hoyaheel likes this.
Old May 26, 19, 2:04 pm

Programs: Airlines: DL-Silver, UA-Silver Hotels: MR-LT PP
Not BBQ but the Angus Barn is a local institution.
wm47 and allset2travel like this.
Old May 26, 19, 3:00 pm

Google maps shows a couple of BBQ places off 40 with good reviews - I'd try that over Angus Barn (I've never been a fan ;-) Actually, one of the BBQ places is off 55 and my mechanic is over there, so I want to try it next time I bring my car in ;-)

(Backyard BBQ pit and Smokey's BBQ shack)
Old May 26, 19, 8:05 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Marriott Plat Premier, Hilton Gold, IHG Gold, National Exec Elite, Hertz 5 Star
I think you might be getting in a little late for a lot of the barbeque places around RDU. City Barbeque Durham (208 West NC 54 Durham) isn't bad for a chain. It's a couple of exits west of RDU on I-40. and it is usually open until ten; Not spectacular, but dependable and clean. I've gone there a number of times after flying in to RDU late. Backyard Barbeque Pit has less in the way of mainstream ambience (like, the chairs at a given table won't necessarily match and diners seem to be permitted to write on the walls). The food's good, though -- especially the brisket. Unfortunately, I don't think it''s open past seven or eight.
Old May 27, 19, 7:47 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jrsinpdx View Post
Not BBQ but the Angus Barn is a local institution.
Worth checking it out. Thanks.
Old May 27, 19, 7:50 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by wm47 View Post
I think you might be getting in a little late for a lot of the barbeque places around RDU. City Barbeque Durham (208 West NC 54 Durham) isn't bad for a chain. It's a couple of exits west of RDU on I-40. and it is usually open until ten; Not spectacular, but dependable and clean. I've gone there a number of times after flying in to RDU late. Backyard Barbeque Pit has less in the way of mainstream ambience (like, the chairs at a given table won't necessarily match and diners seem to be permitted to write on the walls). The food's good, though -- especially the brisket. Unfortunately, I don't think it''s open past seven or eight.
Thank you for the tips.
I had spotted on gl map Backyard BBQ Pit. Close enough to the airport and just off the highway.
Old Jun 4, 19, 7:51 am

Programs: DL(PM), UA(Silver), Marriott(Ti), HH(Gold), Hertz(PC)
Smokey's is near RDU (just down the street from the Sheetz station mentioned above) and very good. Definitely not posh but that just adds to the experience.
Old Jun 4, 19, 8:54 am

Originally Posted by fliesdelta View Post
Definitely not posh but that just adds to the experience.
I might not be a southerner by birth (though I've lived here longer than I've lived anywhere else). I don't think I'd ever trust a "posh" bbq joint -would you?? ;-)
chilly_willy likes this.
Old Jun 4, 19, 1:17 pm

Programs: DL(PM), UA(Silver), Marriott(Ti), HH(Gold), Hertz(PC)
Originally Posted by Hoyaheel View Post
I might not be a southerner by birth (though I've lived here longer than I've lived anywhere else). I don't think I'd ever trust a "posh" bbq joint -would you?? ;-)
Zero trust on a posh bbq joint. ZERO.
Hoyaheel and allset2travel like this.

Search this Thread