Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Seeking advice for road trip through Florida/Gulf Coast

Search this Thread

Old May 23, 2019, 12:28 am

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by kale73
Mardi Gras is February 25 in 2020. New Orleans will be most crowded and expensive at that time. Not so much from the 26th on.

If you're still considering New Orleans as part of your itinerary you might want to time your visit to either engage or avoid, depending on your preferences and budget.

Mobile, the Mississippi Gulf Coast, and even Pensacola also have some Mardi Gras events.
Downtown Mobile will be a very hard sell out months in advance between 20 and 25 February for Mardi Gras. Its a really fun Mardi Gras if you want to get a room in advance.

After Mardi Gras the hotels clear out.

If you decide to stay in Mobile, I strongly recommend a dinner splurge at Noja, which is one of the best restaurants anywhere. Get the scallops over marsala grits.

Fairhope is cute and quaint, but know that the Marriott Grand Hotel is in Point Clear, which is beautiful but about 5 miles away from Downtown Fairhope. There is little as far as services within walking distance of the Grand Hotel.
Old May 23, 2019, 12:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TominLazybrook
Downtown Mobile will be a very hard sell out months in advance between 20 and 25 February for Mardi Gras. Its a really fun Mardi Gras if you want to get a room in advance.
Especially for Moon Pie connoisseurs.
Old May 23, 2019, 10:37 am

Programs: Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond; National Car Rental Executive Elite
Originally Posted by TominLazybrook

After Mardi Gras the hotels clear out.

If you decide to stay in Mobile, I strongly recommend a dinner splurge at Noja, which is one of the best restaurants anywhere. Get the scallops over marsala grits.

Fairhope is cute and quaint, but know that the Marriott Grand Hotel is in Point Clear, which is beautiful but about 5 miles away from Downtown Fairhope. There is little as far as services within walking distance of the Grand Hotel.
Kitchen on George is quite good.

The BattleHouse hotel is our go-to when we visit Mobile. The Grand is world-class, but often 3x-4x as expensive as the BattleHouse.
Old May 23, 2019, 11:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Thanks very much for this additional information, folks.
Old May 23, 2019, 10:50 pm

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by aww3583
Kitchen on George is quite good.

The BattleHouse hotel is our go-to when we visit Mobile. The Grand is world-class, but often 3x-4x as expensive as the BattleHouse.
Kitchen on George, sadly, WAS good. It is no longer operating. Noja and Osmans are my 2 favorites in Mobile. Dauphins is good for brunch but overpriced otherwise.

Oddly, the Hampton Inn downtown is actually a very nice hotel, especially if you can snag a room with a balcony.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.