Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > South
Reload this Page >

First time to New Orleans. Cheap accommodation and transport?

Old Feb 10, 19, 6:23 pm
Original Poster

Programs: *G, ST E+, OZ Diamond, DL GM, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold

This is my first time to MSY. I'll be arriving late in the evening. Any suggestion on accommodation costing US$100 or less near a central area of New Orleans? I would prefer to stay at a place that is near public transit that will quickly get me back to MSY.

Thanks!
Old Feb 10, 19, 7:37 pm

Originally Posted by lsquare View Post
This is my first time to MSY. I'll be arriving late in the evening. Any suggestion on accommodation costing US$100 or less near a central area of New Orleans? I would prefer to stay at a place that is near public transit that will quickly get me back to MSY.

Thanks!
It’ll be very hard to meet both of your criteria. By “central area”, do you mean the Warehouse District, Central Business District or French Quarter? If so, it will be difficult to find anything decent at your price point. Public transportation back to MSY quickly? Depends on your definition of “quickly”.

Can you give us a little more info so that we can better advise you? What are you planning to do while you’re here? When are you coming?

edit to add:

looks like Ike it will take a minimum of 35 minutes via bus

https://www.norta.com/Maps-Schedules/System-Map/Line.aspx?ID=20

Last edited by FLYMSY; Feb 10, 19 at 9:53 pm Reason: bus schedule link
Old Feb 11, 19, 8:21 am

Programs: BA GfL
For reasons of safety and speed if you are coming in late at night, I would take a Lyft or Uber (should be about $30-35 from MSY to central NO). The New Orleans public transit system is, to put it mildly, a travesty. Fares are cheap, and you get just what you pay for: infrequent and often unreliable bus service with a route network that is very deficient, or more frequent but very slow streetcar service with a route network that is geared toward tourist-frequented areas. If you’re staying in the center of town, walking during the day and taking Lyft/Uber at night is likely to be your best option.

For $100 or less you are looking at a private room in an Airbnb, most likely. This can be a very nice way to stay in a good neighborhood and take advantage of the host’s knowledge of the city. Airbnb gets a lot of grief from New Orleans residents due to short-term rentals taking residential rental properties off the market and driving up pricing, but if you are in a private room (vs. a complete unit) you are not contributing to that problem.
Old Feb 11, 19, 8:40 am

Programs: Delta Silver (2019)
Your travel dates will have a lot of impact on hotel prices. Are you going during mardi gras or jazz fest? If not, you might be able to find some of the lower end Hilton & marriott properties in the Warehouse district close to that budget. We usually book one when we attend a trade show at the convention center and they're popular with cruisers departing there as well....
Old Feb 11, 19, 9:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
Originally Posted by travelmad478 View Post
For reasons of safety and speed if you are coming in late at night, I would take a Lyft or Uber (should be about $30-35 from MSY to central NO). The New Orleans public transit system is, to put it mildly, a travesty. Fares are cheap, and you get just what you pay for: infrequent and often unreliable bus service with a route network that is very deficient, or more frequent but very slow streetcar service with a route network that is geared toward tourist-frequented areas. If you’re staying in the center of town, walking during the day and taking Lyft/Uber at night is likely to be your best option.
Lyft/Uber have the same flat rate as a cab to/from MSY, $36. (Though cabs charge extra for 3+ people, and Uber/Lyft occasionally subject to surge pricing).

Public transit means the E-2 bus, but it only runs into downtown NOLA weekdays before 6 pm. It's about a 45 minute ride, and runs roughly every half hour or so. If you're staying near the downtown stop at Tulane & Loyola, and at $2.00, it's not a terrible ride. I'd advise against it at other times, when a transfer is needed to complete the journey to downtown.

Jefferson Transit

If you're traveling solo, the other option is the shared ride shuttle., $24 one way . With 2+ people, a cab or Uber will be cheaper.
Old Mar 5, 19, 4:03 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by FLYMSY View Post

It’ll be very hard to meet both of your criteria. By “central area”, do you mean the Warehouse District, Central Business District or French Quarter? If so, it will be difficult to find anything decent at your price point. Public transportation back to MSY quickly? Depends on your definition of “quickly”.

Can you give us a little more info so that we can better advise you? What are you planning to do while you’re here? When are you coming?

edit to add:

looks like Ike it will take a minimum of 35 minutes via bus

https://www.norta.com/Maps-Schedules/System-Map/Line.aspx?ID=20

I'm just a tourist and I'll be going at the end of March. I just gave a rough number. It can cost a little more. The CBD or French Quarter is fine with me.

Sadly I'll arrive at 6 PM. Not a good idea to take the bus and save a bit of money?
Old Mar 5, 19, 9:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, Starwood Plat, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Hilton Silver
I'm just a tourist and I'll be going at the end of March. I just gave a rough number. It can cost a little more. The CBD or French Quarter is fine with me.

Sadly I'll arrive at 6 PM. Not a good idea to take the bus and save a bit of money?
Quick check shows that if you are going the weekend of 22-24 of March, hotels are either sold out or outrageous.
Weekends seem to be a bit more expensive than during the week. What dates are you going to be there?

I know New Orleans just passed new laws about VRBO and AirBnB, so you may even have issues with that.
The New Orleans City Council on Thursday (Jan. 10) made their stricter stance against short-term rentals official: No more whole-home listings will be allowed in historic residential neighborhoods, and none at all in the Garden District and the French Quarter.

As others have said, public transportation, especially at night is not great. Other than the street cars, they aren't very useful even during the day.

Last edited by pbiflyer; Mar 5, 19 at 9:33 pm
Old Mar 6, 19, 8:14 am

While New Orleans isn’t the most expensive city to visit, it certainly isn’t the cheapest. Obviously, being a resident, I rarely stay in hotels in NOLA, however, with you wanting to possibly stay in the CBD or French Quarter, I doubt that I would be comfortable staying in any hotel under $150/night (maybe not even at that price) in those areas. I’ll have to let some others speak to that.

Arriving at MSY at 6:00? I recommend Uber, taxi or the Airport Shuttle.
travelmad478 likes this.
Old Mar 7, 19, 8:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 5MM; BA GLD
I’ve used the public busses a fair bit — although only once or twice to the airport and never from the airport — and generally have found them to be fine. And certainly the price is right. i think taking the bus at 6pm is completely fine.
Old Mar 7, 19, 8:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
Originally Posted by swag View Post
Public transit means the E-2 bus, but it only runs into downtown NOLA weekdays before 6 pm. It's about a 45 minute ride, and runs roughly every half hour or so. If you're staying near the downtown stop at Tulane & Loyola, and at $2.00, it's not a terrible ride. I'd advise against it at other times, when a transfer is needed to complete the journey to downtown.

Jefferson Transit
I'll update because I forgot the other option, the RTA 202 airport bus. The last 202 bus leaves the airport at 7 pm, and may be a reasonable option for a 6 pm flight arrival, if you can't catch the last E-2 at 6:14. The 202 terminates at Elk/Canal, aboit a block from the E-2 terminus.
https://www.norta.com/Maps-Schedules...ne.aspx?ID=202
Old Mar 8, 19, 5:27 pm
Original Poster

Thx for the info guys.

I know I'm going off-topic, but any suggestions on where to eat good, but cheap food? Biggest mall that's accessible by public transit in New Orleans? What are the must eat food in New Orleans besides gumbo?
Old Mar 8, 19, 7:55 pm

Programs: BA GfL
The big malls I know are in Metairie, although there is one good-sized one at the edge of the French Quarter at the bottom end of Canal St. Good and cheap food is pretty much everywhere—you will need to be more specific with your food requirements and your location requirements for anyone to give real suggestions there. Must-eat foods, to me, are po-boys, red beans and rice if you are here on a Monday (and even if you’re not), crawfish boil (right now they are in season, so seek them out!), banh mi, and on and on. My one restaurant suggestion is the lunch buffet at Lil’ Dizzy’s in Treme, on Esplanade Ave. just below Claiborne. They close at 2 PM, but if you get there at 1 you can eat enough to get you through until the next morning The fried chicken is aces.
Old Mar 9, 19, 11:01 am

As for malls, the most centrally located are Canal Place (high end) and the Riverwalk (outlet). Neither are as big as the suburban malls, but still decent sized.

For different cuisines I'd recommend sampling the local Vietnamese and various African styles (my favorite place is Bennachen). You'll be here for prime seafood season, especially crawfish.

As far as the airport is concerned, you can still do well taking the Jefferson Airline line and transferring to the NORTA #39 if you arrive late. The 39 (Tulane Avenue) line is pretty frequent. Separate fares are required, but still way cheaper than cabs/Uber. Even taking the Jefferson bus halfway and then uber/lyft will save you 20-25 each way if there is no surge pricing.
Old Mar 12, 19, 1:12 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the comments guys. Since I’ll be arriving late, what would you guys do with the few hours left before the day is over? I’ll be in NOLA for a couple of days before I leave. Going to do as much as I can before I leave!

Where is the best place to see the skyline? Best place for views in NOLA?
Old Mar 12, 19, 1:13 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by travelmad478 View Post
The big malls I know are in Metairie, although there is one good-sized one at the edge of the French Quarter at the bottom end of Canal St. Good and cheap food is pretty much everywhere—you will need to be more specific with your food requirements and your location requirements for anyone to give real suggestions there. Must-eat foods, to me, are po-boys, red beans and rice if you are here on a Monday (and even if you’re not), crawfish boil (right now they are in season, so seek them out!), banh mi, and on and on. My one restaurant suggestion is the lunch buffet at Lil’ Dizzy’s in Treme, on Esplanade Ave. just below Claiborne. They close at 2 PM, but if you get there at 1 you can eat enough to get you through until the next morning The fried chicken is aces.
Is it easy to access the big malls in Metairie by public transportation?

Search this Thread