Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > South
Reload this Page >

First time to New Orleans. Cheap accommodation and transport?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

First time to New Orleans. Cheap accommodation and transport?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12, 2019, 1:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Silver
Originally Posted by lsquare
Thanks for the comments guys. Since I’ll be arriving late, what would you guys do with the few hours left before the day is over? I’ll be in NOLA for a couple of days before I leave. Going to do as much as I can before I leave!

Where is the best place to see the skyline? Best place for views in NOLA?
Take the streetcar down St Charles through the garden district. Great houses. Get off, stroll around. Walk around Audubon Park.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 1:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Is it easy to access the big malls in Metairie by public transportation?
Why the desire to visit a big mall? Generic stores. Much more interesting shops in the other areas.
travelmad478 likes this.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 2:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thx for the info guys.

I know I'm going off-topic, but any suggestions on where to eat good, but cheap food? Biggest mall that's accessible by public transit in New Orleans? What are the must eat food in New Orleans besides gumbo?
Many of the little quick mart type stores in the quarter and CBD have outstanding sandwiches that are inexpensive. Verti Marte and Quarter Grocery come to mind in the quarter.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 2:05 pm

Programs: BA GfL
Originally Posted by pbiflyer
Why the desire to visit a big mall? Generic stores. Much more interesting shops in the other areas.
Yes, I am wondering the same thing and why one would want to waste time on a short trip to New Orleans to go to a Bath & Body Works (or whatever) in Metairie. The OP should not bother coming to New Orleans if that’s what s/he plans to be doing. There are much easier and cheaper ways to go to the mall.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 4:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
I agree, skip the malls. If you want to shop, try Magazine St. Uptown (#11 bus), or Royal St. for art and antiques.

The best skyline views are from across the river. The ferry leaves from the foot of Canal St, and costs $2 each way.

First night, wander through the Quarter, head to Frenchmen St, and follow your ears into one of the many music clubs there.
pbiflyer likes this.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 6:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

What are the must eat food in New Orleans besides gumbo?
Must eats? Po Boys, muffaletta sandwiches, boudin balls, and since you will be there in season, crawfish.
If you want to splurge, char grilled oysters. I prefer Dragos, but there are others, maybe cheaper, but longer lines.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 6:43 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, silver, what yr is it?
I don't know where lsquare lives, but when I have friends or colleagues visit the US from overseas, we ALWAYS go shopping - often at a mall ;-) So while perhaps I might prefer to wander Magazine street, I understand that other people have different priorities :-) If we knew exactly what lsquare were looking for, it might be possible to inform if River Walk mall would suffice (we go to New Orleans every couple of years for a trade show so I've walked through many a time.....For me, getting a beer and sitting outside & watching the river is better than the shopping but different strokes....)
Old Mar 12, 2019, 8:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
I’m not sure why the criticism is warranted when I just want to see what the malls are like over here. I’m not suggesting that I would spend all of my time there. Anyways, I’m having Jambalaya right now. Awesome!!!
Old Mar 13, 2019, 2:11 am

Programs: Marriot Rewards, AC Aeroplan, UA MileagePlus, WN Rapid Rewards
Riverwalk should suit your mall needs. Much easier than going to Lakeside mall in Metairie. https://www.riverwalkneworleans.com/...tory/shop.html
pbiflyer likes this.
Old Mar 15, 2019, 12:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I’m leaving NO tomorrow. Does anyone here know if the 202 runs during the day? My hotel tried to search for me, but the timetable shows a 6 hour gap between roughly 7 AM to 1 PM. If not the 202, are there any other bus to take to the airport?

How long will the buses take me to the airport?
Old Mar 15, 2019, 1:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
I’m leaving NO tomorrow. Does anyone here know if the 202 runs during the day? My hotel tried to search for me, but the timetable shows a 6 hour gap between roughly 7 AM to 1 PM. If not the 202, are there any other bus to take to the airport?

How long will the buses take me to the airport?
Is your flight on Friday or on Saturday? At what time? What hotel are you at?
Old Mar 15, 2019, 5:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Blumie

Is your flight on Friday or on Saturday? At what time? What hotel are you at?
It’s Friday afternoon. I’m one block from Elk and Canal.
Old Mar 15, 2019, 5:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD

It’s Friday afternoon. I’m one block from Elk and Canal.
Between the 202 and the E-2 you have options.
The 202 departs at 12:58 pm from Elk and Cleveland.
The E-2 departs at 11:16 am and 1:04 pm from Tulane at Loyola.
Both take about an hour.
Old Mar 15, 2019, 9:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
The 202 has an odd schedule because it was introduced when construction began on the new terminal. The motivation was not to get passengers from/to the airport (the E-2 already did that) but to get workers from/to the construction site. And since they were running the bus to the airport anyway, they included a stop at the current terminal. But the schedule was designed around the employee shifts.

RTA has not yet announced whether the 202 will continue past May once construction is complete and the new terminal opens.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.