Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > South
Reload this Page >

why does MSY have no late-night flights?

why does MSY have no late-night flights?

Old Feb 7, 19, 12:13 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 4,908
why does MSY have no late-night flights?

Looking to fly out at night, but apparently they have no late-night flights period, and very few evening flights. Why?
s0ssos is offline  
Old Feb 8, 19, 1:45 pm
  #2  
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Posts: 2,064
Because the airlines know that if anyone who is in NOLA late at night is probably still partying in the French Quarter and will miss their flight. (Just kidding, I think. )
wrp96 likes this.
FLYMSY is offline  
Old Feb 10, 19, 7:20 am
  #3  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: NYC/BOS/MSY/AUH
Programs: AA EXP, 5MM; BA GLD
Posts: 15,440
There are five flights that depart after 8pm, with the last being just before 9pm. That doesn’t strike me as out of the ordinary for most US airports.
ksucats likes this.
Blumie is offline  
Old Feb 10, 19, 5:10 pm
  #4  
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Posts: 2,064
Basically, the answer to the OP’s question should be fairly obvious. MSY is a medium size airport and in 2017 was ranked as the 38th busiest U.S. airport in passenger boardings. Airlines need to have the passenger loads to justify additional service. They’re just aren’t sufficient numbers of people wanting late night flights here.
FLYMSY is offline  
Old Feb 11, 19, 4:07 pm
  #5  
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Navajo Nation, Northern Arizona
Programs: ex-Con *Gold (earned)
Posts: 9,080
I don't believe there's an official curfew, but MSY has long been the subject of complaints from residents who live immediately north and east of the airfield. The 1982 crash of Pan Am 759 in a neighborhood just east of the airport didn't help. Google Maps shows that there are still many homes directly in line with the runways to the north and east. (The west is a swamp; the south mostly industrial until the Mississippi River.)

Regularly scheduled late night flights would almost certainly result in complaints from nearby residents.
kale73 is offline  
Old Feb 11, 19, 7:54 pm
  #6  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 4,908
Originally Posted by kale73 View Post
I don't believe there's an official curfew, but MSY has long been the subject of complaints from residents who live immediately north and east of the airfield. The 1982 crash of Pan Am 759 in a neighborhood just east of the airport didn't help. Google Maps shows that there are still many homes directly in line with the runways to the north and east. (The west is a swamp; the south mostly industrial until the Mississippi River.)

Regularly scheduled late night flights would almost certainly result in complaints from nearby residents.
Their website specifically notes they have no curfew.

In terms of mid-sized, if you compare to SJC (I think about same size) it is still lacking, cause SJC has a few night flights.
Is it cause in the middle of the country late flights are unattractive, on terms of timing?
s0ssos is offline  
Old Feb 12, 19, 8:41 am
  #7  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 12,338
For the hub and spoke flights out of MSY are timed for connections. There's few connections in hub airports after 11PM (other than a few APAC flights.) For point to point flyers far favor a flight that arrives at 10PM versus something that's going to get in after midnight. SJC probably has a few night flights flying back to the East Coast (DL, B6?).
newyorkgeorge is offline  
Old Feb 12, 19, 4:10 pm
  #8  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 4,908
Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge View Post
For the hub and spoke flights out of MSY are timed for connections. There's few connections in hub airports after 11PM (other than a few APAC flights.) For point to point flyers far favor a flight that arrives at 10PM versus something that's going to get in after midnight. SJC probably has a few night flights flying back to the East Coast (DL, B6?).
They actually have many flights that get in late though. I guess the planes just sit there til the next day.
s0ssos is offline  
Old Feb 12, 19, 9:35 pm
  #9  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
Posts: 13,140
20 years ago, when I first started traveling to New Orleans, flying down from Dallas for Jazzfest, there was an oddball late departure. It was a TWA flight between two non-hubs, MSY-DFW , that departed around 9:30 or 9:45 pm, IIRC. Odder, it was the TWA only flight between that city pair.

It wasn't scheduled for maximum load or passenger convenience, rather, they had to re-position the aircraft after an afternoon JFK-MSY to be ready for an early morning departure DFW-STL. But it was perfect for us, we could spend the entire day at the festival and still catch a same day flight home. (And in the opposite direction, the once-daily DFW-MSY was around 9 am, letting us fly in and still be at the fest by noon).

I do recall MSY airport being pretty deserted, besides our departure gate.
swag is offline  
Old Feb 19, 19, 8:38 am
  #10  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 12,338
Originally Posted by s0ssos View Post
They actually have many flights that get in late though. I guess the planes just sit there til the next day.
Most spoke airports do because there will be people that need to take an early morning flight. If those flights turned around and went back to a hub they'd be arriving in the early morning hours. Airlines would have to discount fares to encourage people to arrive at 3AM or so and wait around another 3-5 hours for their connecting flight, getting none to little sleep. The flights would be money losers. Not to mention originating paxs say at MSY would have no aircraft available for early morning flights.
newyorkgeorge is offline  
Old Feb 19, 19, 2:45 pm
  #11  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 4,908
Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge View Post
Most spoke airports do because there will be people that need to take an early morning flight. If those flights turned around and went back to a hub they'd be arriving in the early morning hours. Airlines would have to discount fares to encourage people to arrive at 3AM or so and wait around another 3-5 hours for their connecting flight, getting none to little sleep. The flights would be money losers. Not to mention originating paxs say at MSY would have no aircraft available for early morning flights.
In looking at flights out I'm not sure many people want to take those super-early morning flights. I think the airlines need them to be positioned somewhere else so have them leave at 5am.

AA leaves at 527 to CLT, 532 to MIA, 557 to DFW, 651 to LAX, Spirit flies at 530 to FLL, 6am to DEN, UA 533 to IAH, B9 6am to BOS, DL 6am to ATL, 610 to LGA.

This is all before 630am. If you get to the airport 1h before, that means you get there at 530am.
I was looking at tickets and the early flights are discounted. Because nobody wants to take them.
s0ssos is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread