FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   South (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/south-454/)
-   -   NYE 2018-19 in New Orleans (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/south/1947112-nye-2018-19-new-orleans.html)

cinimo Dec 22, 2018 8:49 am

NYE 2018-19 in New Orleans

My partner and I will be visiting New Orleans for a few days including NYE. It's our first trip to New Orleans so I am hoping for a few suggestions. We are currently planning on getting an earlyish dinner in a nice restaurant and then going to Jackson Square for the fireworks. How crowded does Jackson Square get? What time do we need to get there for a reasonable spot (we don't need to be right at the front, but somewhere where we can get an ok view)?

We are also looking at going to the NYE parade earlier, where is a good place to see it from?

FLYMSY Dec 22, 2018 4:05 pm

Originally Posted by cinimo (Post 30564533)
My partner and I will be visiting New Orleans for a few days including NYE. It's our first trip to New Orleans so I am hoping for a few suggestions. We are currently planning on getting an earlyish dinner in a nice restaurant and then going to Jackson Square for the fireworks. How crowded does Jackson Square get? What time do we need to get there for a reasonable spot (we don't need to be right at the front, but somewhere where we can get an ok view)?

We are also looking at going to the NYE parade earlier, where is a good place to see it from?

Been there, done that, but I’m long over it.

The French Quarter is going to be jam-packed and especially the area around Jackson Square. I would try to get out by the River, but I’m sure a lot of other people have the same idea. You should make your dinner reservation NOW!

If it were me, I’d probably be thinking about having dinner in the Marigny or Bywater neighborhoods and going out to the riverfront there. Another alternative (probably for more seasoned visitors) would be to go across the River to Algiers Point, but check the ferry schedule, especially for your return trip.

travelmad478 Dec 22, 2018 8:28 pm

Originally Posted by FLYMSY (Post 30565659)
If it were me, I’d probably be thinking about having dinner in the Marigny or Bywater neighborhoods and going out to the riverfront there.

Although I have not spent NYE in New Orleans, I can suggest a small addition to FLYMSY’s suggestion of eating dinner in the Bywater and then watching the fireworks from there. Crescent Park is a long, narrow park along the river that runs from just past the bottom of Elysian Fields Ave. about 1.4 miles downriver into the Bywater. To get to it, you have to cross train tracks via an elevator/stairs (at the Elysian Fields end) or a high, arching pedestrian bridge (in the middle, near the intersection of Piety & Chartres Sts.). Technically, the park closes at 7:30 PM, but I bet the top of that pedestrian bridge would be a great place to view the fireworks. There is a perfect view of downtown from there, over the Mississippi. Obviously you’re about 1.8 miles from the actual event, but you’d get a very lovely view.

FLYMSY Dec 22, 2018 8:50 pm

As far as the parade, anywhere along the route will be ok. It won’t be like one of our famous (or, infamous) Mardi Gras parades, so, anywhere should be ok to watch it. Crowds should be manageable, unlike later that night for the fireworks. I’m assuming that you’re talking about the Allstate Sugar Bowl parade.

https://allstatesugarbowl.org/allsta...rs-eve-parade/

Oh, and did I mention that you should have made your “nice restaurant” reservation YESTERDAY! ASAP! NOW!

cinimo Dec 23, 2018 6:27 am

Thank you for both for the advice. I booked Doris Metropolitan for early evening. According to google maps its a 15min walk to the end of Crescent Park so we'll head in that direction if it is really busy in the Jackson Square and by the river in the immediate area.

FLYMSY Dec 23, 2018 7:55 am

Good restaurant choice.

I hope your partner and you have a wonderful time while in New Orleans.

edit to add: Thank you for coming to visit our city. :)

andrewstahl Dec 23, 2018 7:22 pm

We will be at the Palm Court for NYE dinner & Jazz

FLYMSY Dec 27, 2018 8:59 pm

Additional fireworks displays

The city is having additional fireworks displays in honor of the NOLA Tricentennial this year.

Four major fireworks events planned for New Orleans New Year?s Eve

swag Dec 29, 2018 7:43 am

I hope no one is planning to drive in the Quarter this weekend thru New Years Day, but just in case, here are the road closures and parking restrictions.

Traffic, Transportation, and Parking Impacts Associated with New Year's Eve and the 2019 Allstate Su - NOLA Ready