Reload this Page >

Drive from MIA to Key West

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Drive from MIA to Key West

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6, 2019, 12:25 pm

We recently did the drive from Homestead to Key West and did this timelapse ...

MoreMilesPlease and lrbenko like this.
Old May 3, 2019, 11:40 am
Original Poster

Programs: Four Seasons Aviara (owner), Starwood, Marriott, Hyatt, Hertz President's Circle, United MP 30+ yrs
Thanks again to all of those who helped this OP plan this trip. We go home tomorrow so I wanted to report back with some information:
  • We flew into MIA at about 4:30 from SFO and wisely had decided NOT to drive down to the upper keys until the next day. Good thing; it took a full 90 minutes and a 2 miles walk (seriously this is what my husband and I both came to independently to get our bags and the car; it was one very long walk, and half of it with all of our luggage) and drive 1 mile to the airport hotel. Am thrilled we took advice offered here and are flying out of Key West. I haven't been to MIA in 20 years and I really disliked it then too
  • Drive after the morning rush hour was a breeze and we were in Islamorada in plenty of time for lunch. We stayed at Drop Anchor resort which is an old style Florida motel on the water. Small, but we had a lovely room with a gorgeous vies of the water (unit 9) and a kitchen.
  • Recommend the Square Grouper for lunch or dinner (pretty sure no reservations). They have a popular place further down the keys in Cudjoe Key and recently opened the one in Islamorada. Too new for the guide books which is always nice. Had a great lunch; best sweet potato fries on our trip.
  • Stopped at No Name Bar the next day for lunch and would recommend skipping it. No deer to be seen, and I had read so much about this place that I expected at least good food. Disappointing. Aside from the schtick about the dollar bills it was entirely ordinary. Nothing special in terms of food or service and all the people around us were disappointed to find that despite three “drinks” being listed on the menu they only serve beer and wine and the drinks" were made with wine. Seems like one of those places that is resting on its glory these days.
  • Stayed at Parmer's Resort in Little Pine Key which was another lovely old style Florida resort. Would recommend it highly but go this year. They are tearing it mostly down in 2020 to put up something more "insurable". The old style places like this are disappearing.
  • We were at the Hyatt Beach House in Key West and can recommend two restaurant we ate at more than once. Moondog Cafe which was fabulous. Slightly off the beaten path at Whitehead and Octavia (close to stop 5 for the Hop on Hop off bus and the free one for old town). Charming Cafe with a front outdoor patio, an A/C dining room and wonderful food and service. They have killer baked goods and we would have probably eaten there every day if we were staying closer. Generous portions; we had lunch but I saw some huge, wonderful looking breakfasts go by. Found it on another listserv:
My favorite reasonable priced restaurant is MoonDog Cafe and Bakery. Their bakery is a treat, all baked on premise. You can watch the bakers as it’s open viewing. They have a blueberry muffin that is vegan and gluten free that is the best I ever had, full of blueberries for $2.50. My other half votes for the Black Forrest cake, a splurge, almost as expensive as a meal at $8.50 but big enough for two. Their tacos are fresh and delicious with choice of mahi, chicken, shrimp or tofu. Their pizzas are thin and crispy with generous toppings. So much more to choose from.
https://moondogcafe.com/dinner-menu/

The other restaurant was Stoned Crab which is on N. Roosevelt water side, across from the two large shopping centers with the Publix and Winn Dixie and sever other chain stores. It is part of a wholesale/retail fish company called Three Hands Fish Co and they only serve fresh fish they have caught. There is a small retail walk up window but our experience is that it was open quite variable hours. We got fish there once and they filleted it right in front of us. The larger of the two Publix (the one with the liquor store attached) also has a very decent fish department with mostly fresh fish.

We took the Hop on and Hop off bus in Key West, which I recommend, especially if you are staying in the newer part of Key West out of old town. We were close to one of the stops on the north end and it was very easy and interesting to hear so much about Key West history. Also was easy transportation to stay out of the car.
Thunderroad, pbiflyer and Caribgrl like this.

Last edited by mstraveler; May 3, 2019 at 11:47 am Reason: clarity
Old May 5, 2019, 3:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Thanks to OP mstraveler, and to the many who replied, for this informative thread.
Old May 30, 2019, 8:11 pm

Next will be our turn. We are looking to do this with a Cruise as well. We would be looking to fly into Miami like 2 or 3 days before our Cruise. Not sure what to do in Miami so that's why we will have limited time there. We haven't been there for almost 20 years. So at least we'll get to see it. Hoping to find a couple good restaurants for the most part. Then we'll be onto our Cruise. Hoping for only 3 or 4 days. And after that take the 7 mile bridge ride to Key West. I didn't realize you could fly out of KW. So looking forward to doing that drive once...
Old Jun 1, 2019, 9:56 am

But finding it to be costly to fly out of Key West. Costly by points and dollars.
pbiflyer likes this.
Old Jun 1, 2019, 9:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Silver
Originally Posted by Caribgrl
Next will be our turn. We are looking to do this with a Cruise as well. We would be looking to fly into Miami like 2 or 3 days before our Cruise. Not sure what to do in Miami so that's why we will have limited time there. We haven't been there for almost 20 years. So at least we'll get to see it. Hoping to find a couple good restaurants for the most part. Then we'll be onto our Cruise. Hoping for only 3 or 4 days. And after that take the 7 mile bridge ride to Key West. I didn't realize you could fly out of KW. So looking forward to doing that drive once...
Feed the tarpons at Robbie's in Islamorada. Have food and drinks at Lorilei's on the Florida bay. If you aren't driving, have a bushwacker. Best in the world.
Caribgrl likes this.
Old Jun 2, 2019, 5:05 am

Originally Posted by pbiflyer
Feed the tarpons at Robbie's in Islamorada. Have food and drinks at Lorilei's on the Florida bay. If you aren't driving, have a bushwacker. Best in the world.
Thanks for the suggestions. Just trying to figure out first how to get there and back efficiently...
Old Jun 2, 2019, 8:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Flights in or out of Key West tend to be expensive. And IIRC there are still weight restrictions on luggage.
Old Jun 7, 2019, 5:22 pm

Programs: DL Silver, AA EXP, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Flights in or out of Key West tend to be expensive. And IIRC there are still weight restrictions on luggage.
Only Delta has a single bag embargo in and out of here. 75 pounds max in F.
Old Oct 28, 2019, 1:38 pm
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
This has been so helpful to me for planning. I am going down to Key West around Thanksgiving. I was last there in 1983 - so I imagine that it has changed out of all recognition. We are flying down - the fares are ridiculous usually but I got a round trip for around $150 as a basic fare. It is a short flight and I don't care which seats we get as long as I do not have to do that drive. It may have changed but back then it was a very long road with nothing much to see. It was pretty but it was the same for 2.5 hours. We are staying at the Crowne Plaza.

So thank you all for your insights
Old Nov 14, 2019, 5:27 am

Programs: DL Silver, AA EXP, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE
This has been so helpful to me for planning. I am going down to Key West around Thanksgiving. I was last there in 1983 - so I imagine that it has changed out of all recognition. We are flying down - the fares are ridiculous usually but I got a round trip for around $150 as a basic fare. It is a short flight and I don't care which seats we get as long as I do not have to do that drive. It may have changed but back then it was a very long road with nothing much to see. It was pretty but it was the same for 2.5 hours. We are staying at the Crowne Plaza.

So thank you all for your insights
So as not to confuse anyone when you get here, no one calls it the Crowne Plaza, it's the La Concha (tallest building in town).
Old Nov 14, 2019, 12:47 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Domestic mileage tickets to get in and out of EYW can be a very good deal.
pbiflyer likes this.
Old Dec 17, 2020, 4:05 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, HH DIA, Hertz PC, GE + Pre✓, Amazon Super Special Prime
Afternoon all!

Time to revive an old thread.....

DW and I are headed to Key West in Mar 2021 for our honeymoon. Had multiple plans for a European honeymoon that were not feasible in 2020..... and then early 2021 - so a domestic trip was in order!

Doing the fly into MIA, one-way rental car down to EYW, 7 nights on KW, and flying home from there.

After reading through your suggestions (some of which were used in our early planning, so thanks for that!) - we still have some questions to the South FL + KW experts on here:
  • Flight arrives into MIA at 6am. I imagine getting bags and over to the rental car complex at that hour will be pretty low key affair? Been 7 or 8 years since I was through MIA.
  • Was thinking to do a quick circuit through Miami Beach in the AM for sightseeing and breakfast? Any recommendations for an eatery in Miami Beach area?
  • Traffic in MIA around 10am on a Thursday - should be relatively light as we start heading south towards the keys?
  • Figuring a stop of 2 along the drive to KW. Plenty of recommendations from this thread + google to choose from. Give me your best ones
  • Staying at "The Reach" in KW for the first 4 nights- as we have way to many HH points on hand. Decent redemption rate for a Ocean View King. Recent reviews seems to be OK post renovation? Any data points on this property?
  • Followed up by a slower paced stay at Oceans Edge on Stock Island for 3 nights. Reviews from several travel sights were positive. Anyone visit recently?
  • Have a dozen restaurants in KW on the "gotta go" list, care to add your favorites to it?
  • Any off the beaten path spots worth stopping at?
Appreciate any thoughts or insights you have for this trip.
We are overplanners on this sort of stuff - usually booking 8-10 months out. So booking a vacation with 3 months till liftoff is a bit of uncharted waters for us

Thanks all, be well and Merry Christmas!
Old Dec 31, 2020, 11:15 am

Traffic.

It seems every time we drive down to the Keys, Coral Gables on US 1 is like sitting on the 405. We usually pay for the tolls on the rental car and go around most of it. The Florida Turnpike will take you to Homestead in half the time.
Old Dec 31, 2020, 11:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Sorry for the late reply.

If you do go to South Beach, News Cafe is a must for breakfast.
On the way down, Lorelei's for lunch, drinks, views. (Try their bushwacker)
In KW, Pepe's for breakfast. Green Parrot for a drink and music. Still a locals place.
Have Cuban coffee or cafe con leche somewhere while you are there.
Since you are at Stock Island, one more recommendation - Cuban food at El Sibony. The original is in Key West, but they opened a location in Stock Island.

Off the beaten path?
For a drink: No Name Pub in Big Pine Key . nonamepub.com
If you are a bird fan, the Laura Quinn Wild Bird Sanctuary is a nice quick stop on the way down. https://www.missionwildbird.com/

As noted above, don't take US1 down, pay the tolls to take turnpike extension. 395 from South Beach will take you right to it.

Last edited by pbiflyer; Dec 31, 2020 at 12:23 pm Reason: Added suggestions

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.