Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > South
Reload this Page >

"It" Restaurants in New Orleans

Old Nov 12, 18, 3:11 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA

What are the hot new (or old) restaurants in New Orleans these days? Will be staying at the Hyatt Regency. Anything new and trendy near there?
Old Nov 12, 18, 5:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
Saba is new and hot, it's Alon Shaya's new place after his split with John Besh. I'm also hearing buzz about Gris-Gris. Both are on Magazine St towards uptown, and I haven't been to either yet myself.

Closer to your hotel, I highly recommend Maypop, which was getting the buzz when it opened 2 years ago.
travelmad478 likes this.
Old Nov 12, 18, 9:03 pm

Old Nov 12, 18, 9:44 pm

Programs: BA GfL
There is a FB group called “Where NOLA Eats” that is very active; you can just read through a few pages of it, or ask a question (if you are ready to wade through 100 responses!). You can also look at the Times-Picayune’s critics’ picks.

Pythian Market, a food hall, is pretty close to your hotel and a very fine place for lunch or an early-evening meal. It just opened a couple of months ago and has some very good options (I ate at the Cru seafood bar there recently and was quite happy with my meal). Restaurant August and Cochon (and Cochon Butcher) are also not far away and excellent. A place that will probably come up in your search, but which I was underwhelmed by, is Compere Lapin.

Saba (Uptown) is excellent. If you are willing to Uber it a few miles, there are dozens of great choices.

Last edited by travelmad478; Nov 12, 18 at 9:54 pm
Old Nov 13, 18, 4:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 5MM; BA GLD
Originally Posted by theshaun View Post
Will be staying at the Hyatt Regency. Anything new and trendy near there?
Unlike in the not-too-distant past, there now are some decent options near the Hyatt (including Borgne in the hotel itself, although I believe its executive chef recently departed). That said, New Orleans is small enough and easily navigable enough that you should not base you dining decisions on proximity to the Hyatt. You'll be doing yourself a huge disservice.
Old Nov 13, 18, 8:55 am

I agree with Blumie about not basing your decisions on proximity to the Hyatt, however, I’ll throw in two places within walking distance of the Hyatt: Josephine Estelle and Meril. It would probably be best not to walk back to your hotel late at night.

Josephine Estelle

https://emerilsrestaurants.com/meril/

Here is another list to look at it, although I don’t agree with some of the choices on it. Been to some very recently that are very well known, but won’t be going back any time soon.

https://nola.eater.com/maps/best-res...ns-38-map-nola
Old Dec 3, 18, 6:58 pm
Original Poster

Anyone with experience at Bacchanal? Would you eat there or just wine there? And if just wine, where would you eat near there?
Old Dec 3, 18, 8:29 pm

Both the food and the wine at Bacchanal are well worth going there for. They also have live music, completing the picture. It’s a great place.
ajGoes likes this.
Old Dec 4, 18, 8:28 am

Programs: UA MileagePlus
Originally Posted by theshaun View Post
Anyone with experience at Bacchanal? Would you eat there or just wine there? And if just wine, where would you eat near there?
I've never had less than an outstanding meal there. The wine and ambiance make the whole experience something you'll remember.
Old Dec 4, 18, 5:59 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for confirming Bacchanal. Any restaurants in the area that you would recommend? They don't take reservations so would be good to have a back up in case we dont get seated
Old Dec 4, 18, 6:18 pm

When is this dinner? The seating at Bacchanal is all outdoors. It’s pretty chilly right now.

If you are looking at the Bywater specifically, there are plenty of options. Bywater Bistro is the current hot favorite (I have not been there—same restaurant group as Compere Lapin which I was underwhelmed by, but people rave about both of them). They will take reservations and you will definitely need them. The Country Club is also nearby and a very good choice. If you want more casual, there is The Joint (BBQ, excellent). I have heard good things about Bao & Noodle but have not been there.

St. Roch Market is a good choice for casual food if people in your group can’t agree on what they want to eat
Old Dec 4, 18, 6:36 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus
There are some indoor tables upstairs at Bacchanal. Maybe just one or two—I'm pretty sure my party was the only group up there when I was there.

I had a very tasty late meal at the bar at Compre Lapin a couple of years ago when check-in at the hotel next door was in meltdown. After waiting for an hour and a half to get checked in, I was glad to find something light so close by.
Old Dec 4, 18, 10:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 5MM; BA GLD
Originally Posted by ajGoes View Post
There are some indoor tables upstairs at Bacchanal. Maybe just one or twoI'm pretty sure my party was the only group up there when I was there.
There are probably 8 or 10 tables in the two upstairs rooms. Its a very comfortable place to sit when its too cold or wet to sit outside (although they do have heat lamps).
ajGoes likes this.
Old Dec 5, 18, 5:29 am

Thanks you two, that is news to me!
Old Jan 16, 19, 9:26 am

We ate at Saba in Oct last year and it was fabulous. The fresh pita was amazing- simple but elevated by the process. All the flavors were on point. In good weather, walking off the dinner over to creole creamery is a nice way to top the night.

Search this Thread