New MSY terminal delays & traffic issues

Old Oct 8, 18, 7:28 am
Original Poster

New MSY terminal delays & traffic issues

Articles from The New Orleans Advocate:

https://www.theadvocate.com/new_orle...b1e1af363.html

https://www.theadvocate.com/new_orle...4178ea164.html

https://www.theadvocate.com/new_orle...997878f7c.html

Getting to the new terminal for the four years (?) after the terminal opens is going to be a huge PITA. Wait until Mardi Gras, Jazz Fest, Essence Fest, etc. roll around. Yikes!!

Traffic is already horrible in the Loyola Ave. (Kenner) area and it’ll get really interesting when there is a heavy rain and the streets flood.

Great planning foresight. NOT!!!

Last edited by FLYMSY; Oct 8, 18 at 7:38 am
Old Oct 11, 18, 8:07 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond
The more I read about the new terminal,the more I dread its opening. I did not realize the long-term parking garage would not be opening on time. That shuttle from the old garage will not be pleasant, and I'll have to factor in an additional 15-30 minutes of time to deal with that.

As far as getting there (coming from the east), I wonder if it would be easier just to take Bainbridge from Veterans Blvd instead of going via Loyola.
Old Oct 11, 18, 10:20 am

Programs: BA GfL
Originally Posted by Smaug View Post
The more I read about the new terminal,the more I dread its opening. I did not realize the long-term parking garage would not be opening on time. That shuttle from the old garage will not be pleasant, and I'll have to factor in an additional 15-30 minutes of time to deal with that.
I’m also dreading it (and not only because there STILL won’t be an Admirals Club ). Today, my drive from home to the parking garage is 25-35 minutes depending on the time of day, plus a five-minute walk to the terminal. I assume the drive will get at least 10-15 minutes longer, and if I need to park, the shuttle ride will also be 15 minutes or so, plus waiting time. Not fun.

Originally Posted by Smaug
As far as getting there (coming from the east), I wonder if it would be easier just to take Bainbridge from Veterans Blvd instead of going via Loyola.
That also strikes me as the most direct way, assuming there’s an entrance from Bainbridge, although who knows if the roads will be able to handle the traffic.

Old Oct 11, 18, 1:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
Latest Q&A on the new terminal:
https://www.theadvocate.com/new_orle...0fd8782d2.html
Old Oct 19, 18, 6:08 pm

More depressing info about road access: Kenner fighting with the state over Loyola expansion

When I lived in Russia, if they needed a construction job done fast and done right they would hire one of the Turkish contracting companies. Maybe someone should give those guys a call.
Old Nov 20, 18, 7:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It's now less than 6 months until the terminal is set to open, so the state is taking one last round of public comment before finalizing the plans for the access roads. It sounds like construction won't be completed until 2022-ish.
https://www.theadvocate.com/new_orle...a92a3b813.html
Old Nov 20, 18, 8:13 pm
Original Poster

Well, I attended the meeting this evening and all I can say is:

WE’RE SCREWED!!!

My description of of the meeting is dysfunctional and unorganized organization. When you walked into the gym, there was a sign-in table and then 6 other stations. One station had a video, most of the others had large poster boards with renderings of the proposed traffic “improvements” and some had handouts. Manning the stations were representatives of the LADOTD (LA Dept. of Transportation & Development) and my favorite, consulting firms.

There wasn’t a presentation, you were just able to go visit the various stations and ask questions. A little chaotic! The representatives came off as “programmed”, the most common refrain being, “We really want to hear your comments. Please write them down and deposit them at the last station.”

1. The residents who live west of Aberdeen deserve our “thoughts and prayers”.
2. People who work at the airport will have to park at Airline Hwy and take shuttles to the new terminal.
3. Passengers who park at Airline Hwy lots or rent cars will be taking shuttles. The shuttles will have a separate gated entrance to the airport.
4. There were representatives from at least two consulting firms. One firm was responsible for designing the flyover ramps. The other was responsible for the Loyola Dr. “improvements”. They told us that the Airport Board told them, “This is the layout for the new airport and plot plan. Now, we want you to design one way in and one way out because (of that nasty bogeyman) security purposes.”
5. One of the concerns that I repeatedly expressed was, what if there is an accident on the flyover from I-10? The answer was that they are building the flyover with a shoulder so that you’ll be able to drive around the accident. Speaking from personal experience, I said that the current flyover by Williams Blvd. has a shoulder, also. However, from personal experience, if cars get sideways after an accident, you’re not going to be able to around it. Several years ago, I got caught in a traffic jam because of an accident on the existing flyover, had to creep slowly to the Loyola exit, get caught in that nightmare of an intersection with all of the other cars trying to get to the airport and, to make a long story short, missed my flight.
6. I asked the consultants and DOTD reps about their backup plan for alternative routing in that scenario. HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! Naturally, they don’t have one. As one said, “You’ll miss your flight.” Points for honesty!
Another asked, “Don’t you use Waze?” Like using Waze is going to help me get to the airport if there is only one way in! Minus points for a stupid question.
7. None of the reps fly frequently (I asked) and really don’t have a clue. There were no reps from the airport in attendance.
8. I might be willing to take bets on whether these projects are completed in 4 years. It appears that the left hand doesn’t know what the right hand is doing.
9. I left in less than an hour, very frustrated, as did most of the people who were there when I arrived. In my written comments, I strongly emphasized the need for more than one point of access and egress.

Last edited by FLYMSY; Mar 17, 19 at 4:12 am
Old Nov 20, 18, 9:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

My gut says you're right that it'll be a mess and slow for years.

But isn't I-10 to Williams to Veterans to Loyola the way to bypass the flyovers? Now, if Loyola south of the flyovers is blocked, that's another story. Mind-boggling that they consider a single entry point a feature and not a bug.
Old Nov 20, 18, 10:13 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by swag View Post

But isn't I-10 to Williams to Veterans to Loyola the way to bypass the flyovers? Now, if Loyola south of the flyovers is blocked, that's another story. Mind-boggling that they consider a single entry point a feature and not a bug.
Even more future work....

David
Old Nov 21, 18, 7:13 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by swag View Post

Have you ever driven the Loyola intersection/interchange at rush hour times? I avoid that area like the plague and haven’t gone near there in years because it is such a “cluster”. People who live out there tell me that it is worse than ever.

There aren’t going to be any flyovers for at least 3-4 years. The route that you describe in your post seemingly makes the most sense, but good luck with it once the new terminal opens. The bottleneck will be huge at Loyola because the people coming from the west will have to use it, everyone driving from the east, including those in their own cars, taxis, Uber, Lyft, limos, etc., in addition to the residents of the area, shoppers going to the Sam’s Club, etc.

One of the consultants that I spoke with admitted that Alternative 1, aka “The best solution”, is flawed! Sheesh!!! They know that access is going to be a big problem before the flyovers are constructed and they know that after the flyovers are finished, that the access plan will be flawed. WTH?!?!

As far as only having one road in and out, we have to remember that it is for “our security” and that Waze will solve our access problem.

edit: someone above mentioned using Bainbridge and that came up yesterday evening. Consultant said Bainbridge might not be available. Whatever that means.
Old Nov 21, 18, 8:51 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond
The Advocate article from yesterday.

https://www.theadvocate.com/new_orle...a92a3b813.html

Thanks for the meeting report, FLYMSY. What a mess. I keep hoping that someone with some pull would wake up and see what an absurd situation this is, but I have little faith now that anything better would be implemented.

I'm thankful that I have GPT as another option at times. Much better (and cheaper) parking situation than MSY.
Old Nov 21, 18, 1:48 pm

I am trying desperately to put my hands over my ears and not hear all this, because it's depressing me to no end. I've been booking 6 AM flights a lot this year because those are the ones I can get on miles, but I have a feeling that I'm going to keep on doing that even for revenue flights because 5 AM will be the only time that the drive to the airport won't take 90 minutes (it currently takes me about 25-35 depending on the time of day).
Old Nov 28, 18, 8:53 pm

Programs: ex-Con *Gold (earned)
Any local word on how the Jefferson Transit E2 bus will be affected? Will it still go down Airline or are they planning to somehow re-route it to I-10 or (please Jesus no!) Veterans?
Old Nov 29, 18, 11:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kale73 View Post
Any local word on how the Jefferson Transit E2 bus will be affected? Will it still go down Airline or are they planning to somehow re-route it to I-10 or (please Jesus no!) Veterans?
I haven't heard anything yet on that. But when I've taken that bus, there are always a fair number of people getting off & on along Airline, so the bus serves more than just the airport to downtown riders. And there's already the E-1 that runs along Veterans. So my guess is that it'll continue to run along Airline.
Old Dec 7, 18, 8:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Confirmation that the new terminal will offer the Clear service. I really hope it's not needed.

It's also available starting this week at the D concourse (DL, UA, AC) at the existing terminal.

https://www.theadvocate.com/new_orle...107b0fb85.html

Search this Thread