New MSY terminal delays & traffic issues

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New MSY terminal delays & traffic issues

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10, 2019, 3:08 pm
Original Poster

How long were the lines at the new common security checkpoint?
Old Mar 13, 2019, 10:52 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by pbiflyer
Just a side note, we took Uber recently to MSY. It gave directions to the new terminal.
Same thing for me today.

Off topic, I was amused to see a dog in the gate area wearing Mardi Gras beads. Must have been a tourist since residents know that you don’t wear them after M.G.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 10:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by FLYMSY

Same thing for me today.

Off topic, I was amused to see a dog in the gate area wearing Mardi Gras beads. Must have been a tourist since residents know that you don’t wear them after M.G.
Either way, perhaps the dog and its owner were proud of how they "earned" the beads...

David
Old Mar 14, 2019, 9:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
Originally Posted by prokowave
My understanding is that there won't be public access to the terminal roadways via Bainbridge. That will be for shuttles, public buses, emergency vehicles and the like. I imagine some sort of automatic gates will be installed there.
The airport has confirmed this in a FB comment - no public access via Bainbridge.
Old Mar 17, 2019, 2:34 am

Programs: Marriot Rewards, AC Aeroplan, UA MileagePlus, WN Rapid Rewards
Originally Posted by swag
The airport has confirmed this in a FB comment - no public access via Bainbridge.
Well, that completely sucks, and really makes no sense from a safety standpoint. Truly was hoping Bainbridge would have public access. Can't wait to see how things go when a wreck happens on the access road, and there is no secondary entrance/exit for the public to use. The flyover ramps that start construction in August won't solve that issue.
Old Mar 17, 2019, 4:15 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ASDwxguy
Well, that completely sucks, and really makes no sense from a safety standpoint. Truly was hoping Bainbridge would have public access. Can't wait to see how things go when a wreck happens on the access road, and there is no secondary entrance/exit for the public to use. The flyover ramps that start construction in August won't solve that issue.
See post #7 above, points #5 & 6.

edit: just saw this article. Notice the word “might” in the title of the article.

https://www.nola.com/traffic/2019/03...nal-opens.html

Last edited by FLYMSY; Mar 17, 2019 at 4:36 am
Old Mar 17, 2019, 8:39 pm

My biggest concern is the access road between Veterans and the new terminal. If that is shut down and Bainbridge can't be used, how will traffic even access or leave the airport grounds. From what I've seen, there are no shoulders on the four lane access road, so one break down or accident will at best constrict traffic to one lane or at worst completely shut down the access road either heading in or out of the airport. I guess we'll find out the hard way when the inevitable accident or break down occurs and the airport is cutoff.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 1:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by ASDwxguy
My biggest concern is the access road between Veterans and the new terminal. If that is shut down and Bainbridge can't be used, how will traffic even access or leave the airport grounds. From what I've seen, there are no shoulders on the four lane access road, so one break down or accident will at best constrict traffic to one lane or at worst completely shut down the access road either heading in or out of the airport. I guess we'll find out the hard way when the inevitable accident or break down occurs and the airport is cutoff.
Future meeting of the airport commission with La DOT:

"Oh, look, now we need even more money to fix this problem...too bad it will take another decade before any real change actually occurs. Oh well."

David
Old Mar 21, 2019, 11:35 am

At least the construction of the added lanes on Loyola is moving along quickly. Hard to believe the fire station was still there only two weeks ago. The new access road is in the distance.

Old Mar 21, 2019, 3:34 pm
Original Poster

Last edited by FLYMSY; Mar 21, 2019 at 3:47 pm
Old Mar 26, 2019, 4:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FLYMSY
LOL. When’s the last time traffic in Kenner was not a nightmare?
Old Apr 3, 2019, 9:15 pm
Original Poster

Patience is a virtue.

Interview with the Kenner police chief:

Soon-to-open Armstrong terminal attracts job seekers, prompts traffic concerns
Old Apr 11, 2019, 10:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
Via email:

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
April 11, 2019

Erin Burns
[email protected]

City, Aviation Board Reschedule Opening
of New Airport Terminal

NEW ORLEANS - Today, the City of New Orleans and the New Orleans Aviation Board announced that, after evaluating the status of all construction activities and consulting with key stakeholders, the new terminal at Louis Armstrong New Orleans International Airport (MSY) will now open to the public in fall 2019. The complex coordination of construction activities during the final phase of this major project has impacted the ability to provide the new, state-of-the-art airport facility to the Greater New Orleans region on the previously-scheduled date of May 15, 2019.

“This is a once in a lifetime investment that will benefit our city, region, state and all of our people. I accept the responsibility of making sure that when our new airport opens, it is at 100 percent readiness,” said Mayor LaToya Cantrell. “The fact is: it is not ready, and there is more work to be done to get us there. I fully support the additional time needed and look forward to opening our new, completely operational facility at its peak on Day One.”

With passenger safety and customer experience as a top priority, the adjusted schedule will provide more time for testing, training, and implementation of key systems to transition operations to the new terminal. It will also give local residents time to become accustomed to the new access routes.

“Throughout the construction process, the Board has received progress updates, and we believe that this decision is in the best interest of our partners and the community. We can easily continue to operate in our existing facility during this short period until the new terminal is ready for full activation. It’s a big and complicated project, so it’s important we take this time to ensure that all systems are fully functional,” said Doug Thornton, Chair of the New Orleans Aviation Board Construction Committee.

“This is one of the most significant infrastructure projects in this region’s history. We want to make sure that we get it right. The additional time is going to allow us to deliver a world-class airport and ensure a safe and seamless transition so that our passengers have the best possible experience,” said Kevin C. Dolliole, Director of Aviation.

The existing airport facility remains operational, and there will be no impact to flights to and from MSY as a result of this change. As Airport officials continue to evaluate the project construction schedule, a specific opening date will be confirmed in advance of the move so the general public and other stakeholders can make any necessary preparations.

Because a move of this magnitude impacts employees, tenants, suppliers, and the surrounding community, the Airport will also continue with its plans to conduct real-life passenger trials prior to facility opening. In the coming weeks, MSY will solicit volunteers of all ages and travel experience to participate in trials to be conducted before the opening of the terminal. Those interested in participating should visit www.thenewmsy.com to sign up to receive additional information.
Old Apr 11, 2019, 11:01 am

Programs: Free agent
Where's my shocked face... I have it here somewhere.

travelmad478 likes this.
Old Apr 11, 2019, 11:59 am

Programs: Delta Platinum/1MM, Hilton Diamond
Perhaps by the time it eventually opens, the flyover ramps will be complete.
travelmad478 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.