New MSY terminal delays & traffic issues

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New MSY terminal delays & traffic issues

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3, 2019, 10:35 am

Programs: BA GfL
Apparently a small part of the Loyola road improvements plan has been temporarily solved (not sure what that means) via the extraction of $3.5MM from the state by the city of Kenner to relocate the fire station on Loyola. The fire station is to be vacated by Jan. 10. However, the agreement notes that “the parties have not been able to negotiate a full and final settlement" and Kenner has reserved the right to seek further state money for the relocation Advocate article here.
Old Feb 25, 2019, 9:03 am
Original Poster

The latest update on the new airport access:

https://www.theadvocate.com/baton_ro...f603bb3dc.html

I’m tempted to take bets.
Old Feb 25, 2019, 1:22 pm

Holy Mother of God, they are talking about four years just to widen Loyola? What about that expressway that's supposed to be getting built?
Old Feb 25, 2019, 2:05 pm
Original Poster

I don’t know if it adds another complication, but my understanding is that the Loyola project involves state funding whereas, the new I-10 flyover to the airport is federal dollars. Curious as to what’s the current status of the flyover project (which is not the one mentioned in the article)?
Old Feb 25, 2019, 9:37 pm

Originally Posted by FLYMSY
Curious as to what’s the current status of the flyover project (which is not the one mentioned in the article)?
Yes, I too was wondering that, but I guess if the interim solution is going to take FOUR YEARS, then the flyover construction will take, what, 10?
Old Feb 26, 2019, 11:50 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by travelmad478

Yes, I too was wondering that, but I guess if the interim solution is going to take FOUR YEARS, then the flyover construction will take, what, 10?
I will probably fly in late May or early June. I’m hoping someone reports on their experience with getting to the new terminal before my trip.
Old Feb 26, 2019, 2:18 pm

If your trip is in June, you will have one from me. Mr. travelmad478 is flying MSY-PHL on May 25 and I will follow him north on May 31.
Old Feb 26, 2019, 10:45 pm

Programs: Marriot Rewards, AC Aeroplan, UA MileagePlus, WN Rapid Rewards
The firehouse on Loyola is being demolished this week. The state will start work to add exit and entrance ramp turn lanes and add a lane to Loyola once the firehouse demolition is complete. This work is planned to be complete before the terminal opens. The 4 lane airport connector road is basically complete. Sound walls were being installed the last time I drove by. The City of Kenner will also repave Bainbridge Ave. which will be the main entrance used by rental car and economy/commercial parking shuttles. The four year project mentioned is specifically related to the flyover ramps. Construction of these ramps will commence in August. The ramps are being funded through GARVEE bonds. Basically, the state is borrowing against future federal dollars to work on 4 projects. New entrance from I-20 for Barksdale Air Force Base, a new Belle Chasse tunnel and bridge, widening I-10 in Baton Rouge from the Mississippi River bridge and I-10 to I-12 split including a new flyover ramp for College Drive, and the flyover ramps to the airport access road at Loyola. Here is the plan the state has decided to go with.

Here are some shots of the new access road taken in mid-December.

Last edited by ASDwxguy; Feb 26, 2019 at 11:00 pm
Old Feb 27, 2019, 5:52 am

Programs: Delta Platinum/1MM, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by ASDwxguy
The City of Kenner will also repave Bainbridge Ave. which will be the main entrance used by rental car and economy/commercial parking shuttles.
This confirms my thoughts. Forget Loyola. Coming from the east, I will exit at Williams (going south), turn right on Veterans, and then turn left on Bainbridge.
Old Feb 27, 2019, 6:46 am

Thanks, ASDwxguy. I’m glad to know that the flyovers at least exist on paper at this point!
Old Feb 27, 2019, 6:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
Originally Posted by ASDwxguy
The City of Kenner will also repave Bainbridge Ave. which will be the main entrance used by rental car and economy/commercial parking shuttles.
Originally Posted by Smaug
This confirms my thoughts. Forget Loyola. Coming from the east, I will exit at Williams (going south), turn right on Veterans, and then turn left on Bainbridge.
I think it was mentioned up-thread that there would only be a single access road (Loyola) for "security" reasons. Is it known whether Bainbridge to Boeing to the terminal will be an option for private vehicles, or will it be restricted to shuttles only? If not, once on Bainbridge, what is the connection to Loyola and is it likely to be any better?
Old Feb 28, 2019, 12:52 am

Programs: Marriot Rewards, AC Aeroplan, UA MileagePlus, WN Rapid Rewards
Bainbridge is a public road that will be directly connected to the terminal road network outside of the secure area, so I don't see how they could restrict access there. The link below is to the latest aerial image, and you can see the terminal road network ties directly into Bainbridge. There is a road that meets up with Bainbridge to the right, and that will enter the secure area and eventually the ramp. That road meeting up with Bainbridge is likely what was being discussed previously. Just from a safety standpoint, a second public access point is pretty important for emergency services.

http://fluxconsole.com/files/image/7...&progressive=1
Old Mar 9, 2019, 11:12 am

My understanding is that there won't be public access to the terminal roadways via Bainbridge. That will be for shuttles, public buses, emergency vehicles and the like. I imagine some sort of automatic gates will be installed there.
Old Mar 9, 2019, 3:27 pm
Original Poster

As mentioned in post 7 above, I attended the public meeting in November and spoke with engineers and consultants for the road projects. I asked them face-to-face, point blank, about road access and I’m going with the information they gave me, until proven otherwise. The caveat being that things can change. We’ll find out soon enough.
Old Mar 10, 2019, 11:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Silver
Just a side note, we took Uber recently to MSY. It gave directions to the new terminal.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.