Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > South
Reload this Page >

New MSY terminal delays & traffic issues

New MSY terminal delays & traffic issues

Old Aug 15, 19, 10:10 pm

Programs: BA GfL
We shall see, I guess. Personally, I’m kind of hoping the terminal is delayed another 4 years until the expressway is finished
Old Aug 16, 19, 7:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
From the UA forum:

Originally Posted by ASDwxguy View Post
According to AA station manager, tentative opening date for MSY is October 23rd. There is a drain line issue that is being repaired, and that job is over 80% complete. Construction close-out phase of the project is commencing, and airline tenants have already begun installing equipment.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/31420962-post130.html
Old Aug 16, 19, 8:43 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ASDwxguy View Post
Further confirmation from an AA employee that the move to the new terminal is now scheduled for August 7th.
I wonder if itís the same AA employee that gave this confirmation?

Iím going to enjoy the ease of access to the current terminal while I can.
realworld likes this.
Old Aug 16, 19, 10:05 pm

Programs: Delta PM
Travelling there the week after next. Since I am renting a car, I am glad that it will be the old terminal. Easy walk to the rental car facility.
Old Aug 16, 19, 11:45 pm

Programs: Marriot Rewards, AC Aeroplan, UA MileagePlus, WN Rapid Rewards
It is. Not much one can do but trust them as a source since they work there. Hopefully, this date will stick.
Old Aug 23, 19, 7:14 am

Programs: B6 Mosaic
I'd be truly shocked if they opened before the end of 2019.
Old Sep 8, 19, 8:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Video critiquing the new airport planning (or lack thereof). Much of it we've heard before, but a couple of interesting tidbits.

Despite the media reports that the (temporary) access road is complete, work is still ongoing.

The airport is boasting about increased parking, but the video points out that includes the Economy Parking (existing long term garage) on the south side of the airport. Checking the numbers, currently the airport has 6300 spots (3,000 short-term, 2,500 long-term, 800 credit card lot). And that's not enough, all parking often is full during peak periods like holidays and summer weekends. The new terminal will open with only 5625 adjacent spots (2190 short term, 2750 long term, 685 surface lot). If you arrive to find those full, it's a long drive around to get to the south side economy parking and then a long shuttle ride back to the terminal.

Old Sep 9, 19, 2:44 pm
Original Poster

It could be a heck of a lot worse. At least it’s not BER. Yet. Although, if it were like BER, the access road and flyover would probably be complete for the opening of the new terminal.

(if you want an amusing read, google “new Berlin airport ”.)
Old Sep 13, 19, 6:35 am
Original Poster

Three possible completion YEARS for the flyover are mentioned in this article!
2021, 2022 & 2024!

https://www.wwltv.com/article/news/l...d-4057278fe72e
Old Sep 14, 19, 12:09 am

My money’s on 2025
Old Sep 20, 19, 6:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Latest.

The contractors and airport officials said they still expect an opening "in the fall."
The latest holdup has been caused by the discovery of an AT&T utility vault, which holds telecom infrastructure, in the path of the final stretch of access road leading to the new North Terminal.

Chris Spann of Burns & McDonnell told the board Thursday that AT&T has promised to bury the vault within the next three weeks so that paving of the block-long stretch of road can be completed by mid-October.

The new terminal reached a major milestone on Wednesday when the baggage handling system passed its certification test
Some vendors said they have heard they'll be given a move-in date soon, with one saying they'd been told Oct. 23 by airport staff.
experiments conducted recently suggested that traffic would flow well "on normal days," but that the usual snarl seen at holiday times, like Thanksgiving and Christmas, would likely continue.
https://www.nola.com/news/business/a...c972e6ce8.html
Old Sep 21, 19, 1:16 am

First full operational tests with volunteers serving as passengers begin on October 1st. Volunteers are limited to those with current airport badges, so it's not open to the general public. Good to see that the October 23rd date hasn't shifted.

Also, the baggage system certification is absolutely huge.

The telco vault thing is being blown of proportion. It's a small stretch of road (one block) that will be quickly paved over when the vault is buried in the next couple of weeks.

The flyover ramp will be a single structure now instead of two structures, so that will speed up the process. Ground breaking in January, and the project should be finished by mid to late 2021 depending on how many weather delays occur. The entire interchange redesign that involves putting a diverging diamond interchange in place should wrap up by 2023. The project will be built in two phases with the flyover ramps coming first, and then the interchange redesign. This will take airport traffic coming to and from the east off the existing infrastructure at I-10 and Loyola, and allow for more manageable traffic conditions while the interchange is completely overhauled.

Last edited by ASDwxguy; Sep 21, 19 at 1:35 am
Old Sep 21, 19, 1:55 am

Here's some shots from a couple of weeks back.

Prospero likes this.
Old Yesterday, 4:05 am

The restaurants look pretty fabulous, but unfortunately that’s not what I go to an airport for. My preferred M.O. is to get to the airport 50 minutes before my flight, flash my mobile BP, roll my carry-on through PreCheck, walk to my gate and board five minutes later. With the lack of a decent road to get to the airport, once the new terminal opens I’m not going to be able to do this consistently until...2023?

Search this Thread