Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > South
Reload this Page >

New MSY terminal delays & traffic issues

New MSY terminal delays & traffic issues

Old Apr 11, 19, 4:00 pm

Programs: Marriot Rewards, AC Aeroplan, UA MileagePlus, WN Rapid Rewards
The most impactful part of this delay is that three jetbridges have already been moved over to the new terminal from the existing one. That is three less gates to operate from, so I fully expect to see some operational issues in concourses C and D this Summer.

All of the tenants were informed as recently as last week that the move was still on for May 15th. The lack of transparency by the contractor and the airport board is galling, and it has really pissed off the airport tenants. It appears two issues have arose that caused the delay. The first issue is pavement settling on the arrivals roadway that needs to addressed, and the second issue is that none of the food or retail vendors were going to be ready by May 15th. Basically, the building was supposed to receive a certificate of occupancy on April 10th, and the building was nowhere near ready for that.

UA sent out an email yesterday to staff stating the new proposed opening date is August 7th. It sounds like the airport isn't going with a firm public date in case of further unforeseen delays. Also, in the PR world, it looks better to say Fall and then actually have the airport in August. They can then say it finished ahead of schedule (complete b.s., but that's the world of public relations).
Old Apr 12, 19, 3:02 pm

You're concerned about a lack of transparency, in New Orleans? It's a way of life here. The Mayor's recent trip to Cuba and the change in traffic camera ticket thresholds are two prime examples. Anyone could tell from the early April pictures published by NOLA.com that the airport was not going to open on May 15.
skeets50 likes this.
Old Apr 13, 19, 11:46 pm

Further confirmation from an AA employee that the move to the new terminal is now scheduled for August 7th.
Old Apr 14, 19, 6:35 pm

Programs: ex-Con *Gold (earned)
One can only wonder which meaning of ‘trial’ they are contemplating putting “real-life passengers” through.

Perhaps... “a test of faith, patience, or stamina through subjection to suffering or temptation”?
Old Apr 28, 19, 4:10 am

From what gates were they moved?
Old Apr 28, 19, 6:34 pm

C6, C10, and D11.
Old May 9, 19, 5:24 pm
Original Poster

Old May 10, 19, 5:24 am

Programs: B6 Mosaic
May 2020!

Old May 10, 19, 10:48 pm

Programs: AS DL
The new terminal seems like a waste of money. Shreveport's terminal was needed when it was built more than a decade ago.
Old May 11, 19, 8:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
I got a survey in the mail from my state representative, about issues for this spring legislative session. On the question for ranking spending priorities, one of the six choices (along with things like road repairs and teacher pay) was "Funding enhancements to ease traffic concerns at the new airport".

This suggests to me that (1) someone has ideas about how to make the interim traffic plan better, and that (2) funding it is something the legislature is considering.

No details what this entails, unfortunately, but I was glad to see it on the list.
Old May 14, 19, 12:23 pm
Original Poster

Old May 15, 19, 9:19 pm

Programs: ex-Con *Gold (earned)
I'm guessing the current rental car facility will remain? There was new construction on the airfield side of the fence near the walkway from the terminal when I arrived yesterday morning.
Old May 16, 19, 7:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
Originally Posted by kale73 View Post
I'm guessing the current rental car facility will remain? There was new construction on the airfield side of the fence near the walkway from the terminal when I arrived yesterday morning.
Correct. It will no longer be walkable, of course; a shuttle bus will run between the rental car facility and the new terminal.
Old May 16, 19, 1:19 pm

Programs: Priority Club plat-Hertz 5*-AA gold-Marriott gold-Hilton silver
Originally Posted by swag View Post
Correct. It will no longer be walkable, of course; a shuttle bus will run between the rental car facility and the new terminal.
I knew this would be the case and is the only part of the new facility I am not looking forward to. I fly to MSY 2-4 times a year and always need a rental car. Prior to the garage being built, I remember having to wait 15 minutes for a shuttle bus there. Hopefully it is efficient, but I have my doubts.
Old May 16, 19, 11:46 pm

At least it will not be with rental car company shuttles. Expect to be riding a bus similar to those at MCI and PHX. In fact, the ride time should be similar to that of PHX which is also located well away from the terminals. Definitely not ideal.

At least we all have this to look forward to. Definitely grabbing some of those cookies before a flight.

Search this Thread