Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > South
Reload this Page >

If you didn't go to Miami: would you choose Fort Myers, Naples, or West Palm Beach?

If you didn't go to Miami: would you choose Fort Myers, Naples, or West Palm Beach?

Old Oct 4, 18, 5:43 pm
Original Poster

How would you compare these 3 beaches: Fort Myers, Naples, or West Palm Beach?

From them, which is the most scenic/had the most interesting picturesque beach views?
Also, which city has the best nightlife?
Old Oct 4, 18, 7:04 pm

Programs: HH Gold, Marriott Gold
Best beaches of those three would be Sanibel (Ft Myers). In my opinion. Captiva Island is nice as well.

Ft Myers Beach (Estero Island) is nice as well. But not as picturesque.

I find the west coast of FL only to be good in the winter and early spring. Too hot, stormy, red tide, etc in the summer and fall.

I love a state park on Singer Island near WPB called John D. MacArthur Beach St Park. But I love the boardwalk over the inland waterway and the mangrove swamp a lot. It is 'natural' Florida.

As for 'nightlife', these 3 cities are the land of the early bird specials. There is afternoon life, but not much nightlife.

Ft Lauderdale has nightlife if you don't want Miami, but want the city to be still open after 8 PM.
Old Oct 5, 18, 7:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Naples is the most laid back area. West Palm and Naples are definitely a older crowd.
Old Oct 7, 18, 8:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, Starwood Plat, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Hilton Silver
West Palm Beach boasts both City Place and Clematis Street. area bars. Lots of nightlife. Downside is no good beach access unless you go up to the aforementioned Singer Island or down to Lake Worth area.
But for the way you describe the beach requirement, I would also pick Ft Myers area. Sanibel cannot be beat. And you can kayak in Ding Darling State park. Go eat on Cabbage Key (you need a boat to get there).
Old Oct 7, 18, 8:30 pm

Programs: AA Exp
Originally Posted by pbiflyer View Post
West Palm Beach boasts both City Place and Clematis Street. area bars. Lots of nightlife. Downside is no good beach access unless you go up to the aforementioned Singer Island or down to Lake Worth area.
But for the way you describe the beach requirement, I would also pick Ft Myers area. Sanibel cannot be beat. And you can kayak in Ding Darling State park. Go eat on Cabbage Key (you need a boat to get there).
restsurant on cabbage was great scenery. Canít remember name, but I read all of Florida is full of red tide. When would you go?
Old Oct 7, 18, 10:39 pm

Programs: DL Skymiles KE Skypass
If you like to collect Shark's teeth, then I would suggest Venice Beach, north of Tampa.

Unfortunately, with the quickly spreading Red Tide throughout all of Florida, I would pass on going to any beach as well as any inland parks that have water activities. The one thing I am worried about is if the red tide gets into our drinking water.
Old Oct 9, 18, 12:21 am

Originally Posted by fay637 View Post
Also, which city has the best nightlife?
The word "best" has many different connotations here. What is best for one person would be horrible for another.

For example, going to a club where I'm being judge based solely upon appearance to determine if I'm allowed in would be common in many places in Miami. In my experience, those types of establishments tend to have loud music that actively discourages any verbal communication. None of that appeals to me.

If you can provide your definition of "best", you might get better feedback.

Search this Thread