Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > South
Reload this Page >

Trip to the 2019 Masters @ Augusta National

Trip to the 2019 Masters @ Augusta National

Old Sep 26, 18, 2:08 am
Original Poster

Programs: QPPS
Smile Trip to the 2019 Masters @ Augusta National

I took part in the ballot for the 2019 Masters and was lucky to secure 2 tickets to this event. Since this is my first time traveling there for this event, I would like to know if anyone has traveled to Augusta, Georgia for the Masters before.

I have gone through various websites and some recommend flying in directly to Augusta (from my check, no *A websites fly to that airport), while others recommend flying into nearby cities and drive in to Augusta from there.

Some of the places recommended to fly into:

Atlanta: 145 miles via I-20
Macon, Ga: 120 miles via US-1
Columbia, S.C.: 75 miles via I-20
Charleston, S.C.: 169 miles via I-26
Savannah, Ga.: 128 miles via US 321 and 301
Greenville, S.C.: 114 miles via US-25
Charlotte, N.C.: 164 miles via I-77 and I-20

Any suggestions if I should fly direct? If no, which airport should I consider flying into?

My current plan is leaning towards SIN-EWR-CAE, with SIN-EWR being on SQ and EWR-CAE on UA. The only program I am enrolled in is in *A, hence would like to stick to *A airlines as much as possible. Would appreciate if anyone has some suggestions/ tips to share!

Thanks in advance.
Old Sep 28, 18, 8:13 am

Programs: AA Gold,WN CP, UAL Premier,HH Diamond, ChoicePriv Dmnd
I have been to the Masters a few times, once flying into Augusta (I used to travel there for work so I was able to combine it with a business trip). The other times I flew into Atlanta and drove. It's not a bad drive but Columbia is definitely closer and probably the best option of the choices you listed.
Old Sep 28, 18, 9:59 am
Moderator, Trip Reports

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Congratulations!!! I have done the Masters twice and highly recommend flying into Atlanta and driving from there. Also, what day are you going? I'll be there Wednesday.
Old Sep 28, 18, 12:52 pm

Programs: HH Diamond; National EE
I flew into ATL when I went. Many more options in/out of ATL in case of IRROPS.

Make sure you secure a rental car reservation WELL in advance. When I arrived in Atlanta, almost all of the major rental car agencies were displaying "No Walk Up Reservations" and empty lots.

What day are you going?

Are you in shape? It is a VERY hilly golf course. I went when I was 32 and in good shape. We walked 7 miles on the course that day and I was in some serious pain the next day.

Go to the gift shop early before inventory runs low. There is a free bag check so you don't have to carry your purchases around the course.

Remember, ZERO cell phones allowed on the property. You can bring a camera, but NO cell phones.

Food on the course is incredibly inexpensive.
Old Sep 28, 18, 7:33 pm
Moderator, Trip Reports

Originally Posted by aww3583 View Post
Make sure you secure a rental car reservation WELL in advance. When I arrived in Atlanta, almost all of the major rental car agencies were displaying "No Walk Up Reservations" and empty lots.
Very very good advice! Do not use some third rate booking site either - go directly through one of the majors and avoid Avis. They are the Tour's partner and every golf industry person from CBS to Wasserman sports will be in one.

Remember, ZERO cell phones allowed on the property. You can bring a camera, but NO cell phones.
Cameras are only allowed Monday - Wednesday FYI

Food on the course is incredibly inexpensive.

Here are two Trip Reports for reference:
My Day at Augusta National and The Masters
The Masters "A tradition unlike any other."
Old Sep 29, 18, 11:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, Starwood Plat, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Hilton Silver
I would highly recommend using a driver and giving them the other ticket. On a completely unrelated topic, I will be offering free rides from whichever airport you choose.

On a serious note, the drive from CAE is pretty easy. Nice little airport. But as others have said, ATL offers more options, more rental cars, etc.

Does your prize include lodging? Hotels are hard to get. A ton of folks stay in Columbia and prices there are even high. Book as early as you can wherever you stay.
Old Sep 29, 18, 11:17 pm
Original Poster

Programs: QPPS
Thanks for all the replies guys. I secured the ticket on Thursday. Can't wait to see the ceremonial tee shot in person. I plan to fly in to EWR or JFK over the weekend and do some sightseeing either in ATL or CAE before Thursday. I need to fly back to SIN on Friday as I have another trip scheduled for Sunday. However, looking at connections from EWR/ JFK, it does seem that getting to CAE will involved a stopover at IAD. This may be a deciding factor if the flights CAE - IAD - EWR are frequently late and I may miss my connection from EWR - SIN.

Noted on car rental reservations. Will probably go with Hertz since I am a Hertz Five Star member. Lodging looks crazy. Did a quick search on Expedia and most places are showing fully booked!
Old Oct 3, 18, 6:24 pm
Moderator, Trip Reports

Originally Posted by Azhiwen View Post
Noted on car rental reservations. Will probably go with Hertz since I am a Hertz Five Star member. Lodging looks crazy. Did a quick search on Expedia and most places are showing fully booked!
Lodging is NUTS, pick something fast.
Old Oct 4, 18, 9:29 am

I've lived in both ATL and CAE so let me know if you need any advice on where to stay. The drive from CAE is really easy. ATL is a good bit longer and pretty boring. But, ATL is 10 times the size of CAE. I have had a lot of delays over the years when flying out of CAE so do give yourself room in your connection if you fly from there. I mean, most have been on time, but I definitely have had some close calls. All of the planes out of there are small and I guess they just don't get the priority over others.

So would you be driving back and forth multiple days? If so, driving from Atlanta to Augusta every day sounds pretty unpleasant. You would want to stay off of I-20 and not in the city as traffic is going to really add a lot of time to your drive... but a lot of the areas along 20 on the east side aren't really the most appealing. Two hours each way for multiple days is just no fun. I would need to know more about the schedule really. I would, personally, fly in and out of CLT or ATL and stay in CAE. Just because you fly there doesn't mean you have to stay there. CAE is a breeze though. It's small but nice. I love flying in and out of there to visit family. No stress.

You mentioned doing some sightseeing... that's where CAE is going to lack. It's not a huge city. I mean there are some nice museums and stuff, but it's little.
Old Oct 5, 18, 3:13 pm

Programs: HH Diamond; National EE
Originally Posted by Madone59 View Post
Lodging is NUTS, pick something fast.
Lodging anywhere within 50-75 miles of Augusta will be nuts.

We picked up two rooms at the Embassy Suites on Washington Drive for a boat-load of HHonors points. Embassy Suites are pretty good about having a manager's reception each night. Normally, it's chips, pretzels, a cup of beer, etc.

Not during Master's week.

That ES had prime rib, full bar service, dessert, etc. It was indulgent. The manager came by and basically said "We make more money this week than the rest of the year combined. We can afford to have some fun." Hyperbole or not, it was a blast.

Search this Thread