FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   South (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/south-454/)
-   -   MCO to TPA? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/south/1927996-mco-tpa.html)

amw3000 Aug 29, 2018 7:33 pm

MCO to TPA?

Hi,

Any suggestions for reasonable transportation between the two airports? I know Uber used to have "Uber highway" and it was about $100 one way. Wondering if anyone has any other options?

Thanks,
A

Ceres Aug 29, 2018 7:58 pm

I’ve rented a car one way on more than one occasion. Between TPA - MCO or SRQ. I’ve gotten TPA - SRQ for as low as $19 (plus taxes) Even MIA-TPA for $40.

pbiflyer Aug 30, 2018 11:29 am

Typically, there are no drop charges between most cities in Florida with most rental car agencies. Cheapest way to get between the two.

BamaVol Aug 30, 2018 12:43 pm

Originally Posted by amw3000 (Post 30146041)
Hi,

Any suggestions for reasonable transportation between the two airports? I know Uber used to have "Uber highway" and it was about $100 one way. Wondering if anyone has any other options?

Thanks,
A

Linear Air Taxi will fly you RT for $3,304, according to Kayak.com. That might not meet your "reasonable" requirement, but it is only 41 minutes and I believe you get to choose when to leave.

amw3000 Sep 1, 2018 10:40 pm

Originally Posted by Ceres (Post 30146107)
I’ve rented a car one way on more than one occasion. Between TPA - MCO or SRQ. I’ve gotten TPA - SRQ for as low as $19 (plus taxes) Even MIA-TPA for $40.

Thanks - I completely didn't think of driving. Is there anything worth seeing between the cities?

Antonio8069 Sep 1, 2018 11:13 pm

I-4 and follow the signs

Take the I-4 and follow the signs.
BTW, getting out of MCO w/o paying tolls can be a challenge. I suggest you rent from a city location, also reduces the surcharges

pbiflyer Sep 1, 2018 11:19 pm

Originally Posted by amw3000 (Post 30157373)
Thanks - I completely didn't think of driving. Is there anything worth seeing between the cities?

Dinosaur World? The Holy land Experience?

Lots of touristy stuff including all the Disney things. All depends on what your interests are. It is a fairly rural area between the two cities.
If you really wanted to stop, Disney Springs. Other than parking, it is free.
Orlando is north of where you are going to turn off for the airport. So that is out.

Ceres Sep 2, 2018 11:35 am

Use someone list Costco to reserve the car. I did a couple dummy reservations, and they are cheaper than Hertz or Avis. Unless you have a good corporate code.

And if you're traveling from MCO - TPA there are more things a few things to see in Tampa. The Aquarium, river walk, a few museums including the children museum, Ybor city, along with numerous parks, all a short drive from TPA.

writerguyfl Sep 9, 2018 2:06 am

Originally Posted by pbiflyer (Post 30157450)
Dinosaur World? The Holy land Experience?

Lots of touristy stuff including all the Disney things. All depends on what your interests are. It is a fairly rural area between the two cities.
If you really wanted to stop, Disney Springs. Other than parking, it is free.
Orlando is north of where you are going to turn off for the airport. So that is out.

Some slight corrections: The Holy Land Experience is located in the opposite direction of travel. Going there would be require a detour. It's not a huge detour, but a detour nonetheless.

And it's free to park at Disney Springs.

pbiflyer Sep 9, 2018 2:36 pm

Originally Posted by writerguyfl (Post 30184178)
Some slight corrections: The Holy Land Experience is located in the opposite direction of travel. Going there would be require a detour. It's not a huge detour, but a detour nonetheless.

And it's free to park at Disney Springs.

I forget that the connection to 417 is so far south on I4. I thought when they added the parking garages they started charging at Disney Springs. I guess I was mis-remembering. Thanks for the corrections!

LondonElite Sep 14, 2018 12:57 am

Originally Posted by amw3000 (Post 30157373)

Not really.

PandaSoPink Oct 6, 2018 1:05 pm

If you don’t want to uber the only option is to rent a car and drive yourself like they say above.
Second, are you staying in Tampa for a while or just catching another flight? There is legitimately nothing in between the two cities worth stopping for. Really you should A. kill time in Orlando or B. Kill extra time in Tampa. There’s a lot to do in Tampa that’s not shopping. TPA has the benefit of actually being located inside the city not outside and can be quick drive when there’s no traffic on 275.

Often1 Oct 6, 2018 3:19 pm

I would not overcomplicate this. It's a 90-minute drive and, presuming that you are picking up and dropping off at the airport because that is where you want to be, it really isn't worth the time & hassle to go offsite to save a few bucks.

Just grab whatever is cheapest for the day in question (and has onsite) available.