Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > South
Reload this Page >

Amenities/Lounges at new MSY Terminal in New Orleans?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 26, 2018, 12:25 pm
Original Poster

There's going to be a new $1 billion terminal completed in Feb of 2019 to completely replace the old terminal at MSY airport in New Orleans.

Does anyone know if there's been any talk of what lounges or amenities will be available? I know the old terminal has a Delta Sky Club, but not much else.
Old Jun 26, 2018, 5:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
Nola.com ran a feature today on the new terminal.
https://www.nola.com/expo/news/erry-...g_a_new_a.html

They didn't discuss lounges. I'd like to see an AA/OneWorld lounge; hopefully the BA flight is a driver for this.

The article does list the planned restaurants.

I'm disappointed to see that they will move Uber/Lyft pickup to curbside. The existing setup in the garage may be a few extra steps, but the ample space made it the most civilized airport rideshare system. So many other airports have too many cars jockeying for too little curb space, and I hope that won't be the case at the new MSY.

And while I no longer rent cars at MSY, it's also disappointing to see that the car rental center isn't moving. Currently, you walk there; with the terminal move, it will require a shuttle bus ride. I hate rental car shuttles.
LOCommish likes this.
Old Jun 27, 2018, 6:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Originally Posted by swag
And while I no longer rent cars at MSY, it's also disappointing to see that the car rental center isn't moving. Currently, you walk there; with the terminal move, it will require a shuttle bus ride. I hate rental car shuttles.
I couldn’t agree more. I love being able to walk to/from the MSY car rental facility.
LOCommish likes this.
Old Jun 27, 2018, 8:44 am

Programs: Marriot Rewards, AC Aeroplan, UA MileagePlus, WN Rapid Rewards
There will be a Delta SkyClub and a United Club in the new terminal. Both will be in or near Concourse C. The Skyclub will be a 2 level club with great views of the runway. The United Club will be a ground level club. There are rumors that a third independent lounge will be going into Concourse B, but nothing confirmed as of now.

As for the rental car facility, the airport board approved a 100 million dollar bond issuance to construct a new rental car facility near the new terminal. I still think a shuttle will be required to get to it since parking garages are going up around the terminal, but it will be a short ride over when it is complete. That will probably be later into 2019 or early 2020 though. Unfortunately, the long shuttle ride to the existing rental car facility will have to suffice initially.
Old Jun 27, 2018, 3:01 pm

Originally Posted by ASDwxguy
There will be a Delta SkyClub and a United Club in the new terminal. Both will be in or near Concourse C. The Skyclub will be a 2 level club with great views of the runway. The United Club will be a ground level club. There are rumors that a third independent lounge will be going into Concourse B, but nothing confirmed as of now.
Would you provide a link to the information regarding the lounges that you mentioned?
Old Jun 27, 2018, 9:43 pm

The lounge information was passed on to me from a friend who works for one of the airlines at the airport. This is the prospective tenant list for the new terminal. It's a bit outdated since Silver Airways and Sun Country have added flights since then.
brewdog11 likes this.

Last edited by ASDwxguy; Jun 27, 2018 at 9:51 pm
Old Jun 28, 2018, 8:00 am

Thank you.
Old Aug 6, 2018, 2:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Today's update from nola.com.

9 more things you need to know about New Orleans' new airport terminal

Of note:
The public will only be able to access the airport from Loyola Drive.
As we previously noted, driving to the new airport terminal is going to be complicated, at least at first. A new $90 million flyover ramp from Interstate 10 at Loyola Drive will replace the existing ramp at Williams Boulevard, but construction on the ramp isn't expected to begin until after the terminal opens. Drivers coming from I-10 will have to take the Loyola Drive exit to get to the new terminal.

What if you're coming from Airline Highway? Airport officials confirmed the entrance on Loyola Drive will be the only public access to the airport. Those approaching on Airline Highway will need to take Airport Road toward Interstate 10, turn left at Veterans Memorial Boulevard and take Veterans to Loyola Drive.
The new terminal will have three lounges.
Delta Airlines is the only airline that currently offers a lounge option for travelers in New Orleans. Delta will continue to operate its Delta Sky Club lounge at the new terminal, and United Airlines has announced plans to operate a lounge of its own. In addition, Burns said the airport will issue a request for proposals this fall to find a third-party operator to run a general use lounge at the new facility.
brycas and pbiflyer like this.
Old Aug 10, 2018, 12:42 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
I fly through MSY several times last month and really thought AA needs to put an AC in the new terminal. However for now doesn't seem like that's coming through.
Old Aug 11, 2018, 1:08 am

A Priority Pass lounge would be a nice addition.
Old Aug 11, 2018, 3:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge
I fly through MSY several times last month and really thought AA needs to put an AC in the new terminal. However for now doesn't seem like that's coming through.
When you say that AA "needs to put an AC in the new terminal," do you mean to say that, like the rest of us, you'd really like one, or are you saying that the cost of leasing, building out and furnishing the space, supplying it with food and beverage, and staffing it for, say, 14 hours a day (I'm thinking 5am-7pm) will provide AA with a sufficient return on its investment in terms of increased revenue (ticket sales, lounge memberships, in-lounge food and beverage purchases), increased customer loyalty (hard to measure other than in the form of increased revenue, but needs to be accounted for nonetheless), and decreased business lost to competitors who operate lounges (currently just DL, but DL and UA in the new terminal) to make the investment worthwhile?

I've flown AA from MSY around 100 times and I sure do wish they had a lounge. But it's hard to say that they need a lounge.
Old Aug 11, 2018, 6:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Blumie
When you say that AA "needs to put an AC in the new terminal," do you mean to say that, like the rest of us, you'd really like one, or are you saying that the cost of leasing, building out and furnishing the space, supplying it with food and beverage, and staffing it for, say, 14 hours a day (I'm thinking 5am-7pm) will provide AA with a sufficient return on its investment in terms of increased revenue (ticket sales, lounge memberships, in-lounge food and beverage purchases), increased customer loyalty (hard to measure other than in the form of increased revenue, but needs to be accounted for nonetheless), and decreased business lost to competitors who operate lounges (currently just DL, but DL and UA in the new terminal) to make the investment worthwhile?

I've flown AA from MSY around 100 times and I sure do wish they had a lounge. But it's hard to say that they need a lounge.
I won't pretend to have much knowledge of the business economics of airline lounges, but United, with 80K monthly passengers, decided one made sense. AA has 87K monthly at MSY. Delta, with 100K monthly, has had one for years. And AA has something neither of the others do, a joint-venture & alliance partner with an international departure. I'm sure BA would love to have a lounge to offer their J pax departing MSY.

Unless this is a case of United copying whatever Delta does, it would seem that whatever led them to the conclusion that a lounge made sense, would lead AA to the same conclusion.

http://www.flymsy.com/Files/Press/Ma...istics2018.pdf
travelmad478 likes this.
Old Aug 11, 2018, 7:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I won't pretend to have much knowledge of the business economics of airline lounges, but United, with 80K monthly passengers, decided one made sense. AA has 87K monthly at MSY. Delta, with 100K monthly, has had one for years. And AA has something neither of the others do, a joint-venture & alliance partner with an international departure. I'm sure BA would love to have a lounge to offer their J pax departing MSY.

Unless this is a case of United copying whatever Delta does, it would seem that whatever led them to the conclusion that a lounge made sense, would lead AA to the same conclusion.

http://www.flymsy.com/Files/Press/Ma...istics2018.pdf
You raise a good point swag. But my point is that any airline that is going to open up a lounge anywhere will prepare a business case to support the investment.
In UA's case, perhaps they think they can gain market share from AA by having a lounge. Maybe their lounge strategy is just different than AA's. Maybe they have a similar strategy but simply have reached a different conclusion based on the available information. I certainly don't know. What I do know is that simply by being an AA customer I can't conclude that they need to have a lounge at MSY. And I do know that I really want them to have a lounge there. But their not having a lounge at MSY hasn't changed my behavior one bit. Of the 100 or so times I've flown out of MSY, I can't remember once flying a carrier other than AA (I did fly in on BA once, which was a great experience!), the absence of a lounge notwithstanding.
Old Aug 11, 2018, 2:46 pm

I won't pretend to have much knowledge of the business economics of airline lounges, but United, with 80K monthly passengers, decided one made sense.
Makes perfect sense to me. ^
Old Aug 12, 2018, 12:02 am

The United lounge also has the advantage of being able to tap into both the Air Canada and Copa business passengers since they are all part of the same alliance. That may help the business case for UA even more. An AA lounge would be fantastic, but doesn't look to be in the cards right now. Like I said before, I'll be very happy with a Priority Pass lounge. The airport currently hands out vouchers for food and drink to BA business class passengers, so they could easily also give these business passengers a voucher for the independent lounge. The same can be said for Condor business class passengers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.