Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > South
Reload this Page >

Amenities/Lounges at new MSY Terminal in New Orleans?

Amenities/Lounges at new MSY Terminal in New Orleans?

Old Aug 16, 18, 3:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAdvantage PP
More and more airline clubs are competing against priority lounges, usually catering to high spend flyers. The kind of flyer a large International airline would want. In truth there could be a good reason financially to do away with lounges but that Gennie is well out of the bottle. I often just how profitable are airline clubs on their own merit. I suspect they’re not huge money makers.
Old Mar 8, 19, 2:03 pm

Does anyone have any updated information? I haven't seen much new information available to the public except above, and no opening dates for the confirmed lounges, with the airport set to open in ~2 months. Will any of the above lounges be PP?

Last edited by bds123123; Mar 8, 19 at 2:12 pm
Old Mar 14, 19, 2:08 am

I flew out of MSY yesterday and spoke with one of the UA agents.
He said that they’re still being told that the new terminal will open mid-May and that the United Club will be larger than the Delta Club. I’ll be happy about that but, I’ll believe it when I see it. He, also, said that the UC might not open at the same time as the terminal.
Old Mar 14, 19, 10:01 am

Thanks for the update. I doubt either of those lounges will be PP unfortunately, does United have any long-haul int'l flights out of MSY? I contacted Priority Pass but they gave a canned response about the current MSY. I'll be flying out in 2 weeks I'll see if I can find out any more information then, although on SW so I doubt I'll get any good info about lounges.
Old Mar 15, 19, 8:54 am

See attached screenshot, Airport Lounge Development will also operate a lounge called The Club MSY

Last edited by bds123123; Mar 29, 19 at 2:38 pm
Old Mar 15, 19, 10:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by bds123123 View Post
See attached screenshot, Airport Lounge Development will also operate a lounge called The Club MSY
I don't see the attachment, but that's great news. I'm assuming this will be the same folks running "The Club at ATL" and "The Club at DFW". That's got the same parent company as Priority Pass, so almost certainly this will be a PP lounge.
Old Mar 15, 19, 10:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Here's the updated airport into page, listing all three clubs including locations.
https://www.thenewmsy.com/passenger-amenities/lounges
Old Mar 15, 19, 4:35 pm

Although the website is listing "The Club at MSY," when you look at the status of the City of New Orleans RFP for the "Common Use Lounge," bids for which were opened last October, it states that the contract has not been awarded. Go to the City of New Orleans Contract and Bid Search and search for Bid #8910-02428 if you are interested. I'd post the link, but FlyerTalk will not let me because I do not have enough posts.
Old Mar 16, 19, 8:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by llupin View Post
Although the website is listing "The Club at MSY," when you look at the status of the City of New Orleans RFP for the "Common Use Lounge," bids for which were opened last October, it states that the contract has not been awarded. Go to the City of New Orleans Contract and Bid Search and search for Bid #8910-02428 if you are interested. I'd post the link, but FlyerTalk will not let me because I do not have enough posts.
Here's the link: City of New Orleans - Bid Solicitation

I wonder if that site is just out of date? The RFP there shows estimated scheduled award notification 11/16/18, so if it's really not yet awarded, they're way behind plan. And it seems odd that the airport would list The Club on their site, complete with description and pictures, if it really were still un-awarded.

In any case, the RFP PDF has some interesting notes in it.

Size:
{Common use lounge} shall consist of approximately 4,160 square feet.
Airline lounges:
Airline Operated Passenger Lounge Facilities
The Delta Air Lines Sky Club will be located on the 3rd Floor of the Terminal near the
entrance to Concourse C. The Sky Club is planned to be approximately 4,218 square foot
space. United Airlines will have a United Club on the first floor of Concourse C. The
United Club will be approximately 6,000 square feet.
Amenities:
J. Operational Requirements and Amenities
1. The Lounge will be available to all individuals who have passed through the TSA security
checkpoint or are connecting within the North Terminal.
2. The user fee structure should include day passes, longer term memberships, and reciprocal
memberships. The Successful Proposer will accept at a minimum, cash and all four (4)
major credit cards (Visa, MasterCard, Discover and American Express), as payment for any
debit or credit transaction.
3. The Successful Proposer will be expected to negotiate agreements with user groups
(airlines, credit card companies, tenants, corporations, etc.) to provide access and/or
amenity packages to “premium passengers” as defined by those user groups.
4. The Lounge shall provide complimentary and non-complimentary food service that
includes a high quality food menu addressing a variety of dietary considerations and a full
service bar with premium wine and liquor. Lounge customers will be allowed to bring in
food items to the Lounge from other airport concessions.
5. Seating areas should be a combination of comfortable couches/ lounge chairs, semi-private
work spaces, general seating areas, and restaurant/bar seating.
6. Re-charging stations should be provided throughout the space.
7. Flight Information Display (FIDs) with arrival and departure information shall be available
in the Lounge. The software, licenses and equipment for setting up FIDs in the Lounge are
estimated to be at least $4,500 (depending on the number of monitors and set-up desired
and is subject to change without notice).
8. The NOAB has a Shared Tenant Services Provider for network, access and data services,
voice services, cabling services, Internet Protocol Television (IPTV), Closed Circuit
Television (CCTV) Shared Camera Surveillance Connectivity, Access Control System
Connectivity, Wi-Fi Cabling Service, and key management. These services will be
available to the Concessionaire on a paid subscription basis.
9. The Successful Proposer shall be expected to have a Customer Service Plan that creates an
exceptional customer experience.
10. Maintain hours of operation as described below in Paragraph M of Section IV. Business
Terms.
11. Maintain a sufficient staffing level in order to provide a first-class level of service during
all of the required hours of operation.
12. Maintain a liquor license and any other licenses needed to operate.
New Orleans Aviation Board
RFP for Common Use Lounge
City of New Orleans Solicitation #8910-02428 Page 20 of 35
Additional Suggested Amenities
As a common use Lounge, it is imperative that Proposer develop diverse list of amenities to
provide a program that will appeal to users with sophisticated taste, require access to the latest
business services, and desire additional or detailed assistance. Suggested amenities to be offered
in the Lounge include but are not limited to the following:
• Shower Facilities
• Business Services (Fax, Coping, Video Conferencing)
• Conference Rooms
• Spa Services
• Relaxation Therapies
• Magazine, Newspaper And/ or Television (Complimentary or For Purchase)
• Concierge Services With Staff Who Can Easily Handle Requests For Hotels, Dining And
Entertainment And Transportation Information
• Valet Services
• Quiet Room
Although Proposers are encouraged to present a wide range of amenities that will contribute to
the concession program’s goal of providing an award-winning passenger experience, the NOAB
reserves the right to limit or reject any proposed amenities.
Hours:
L. Hours of Operation
The Successful Proposer shall maintain hours of operation from (i) two hours prior to the first
departure and remain open until the last flight departure or (ii) 4:30 am till 9:00 pm, whichever
results in longer hours of operation.
Old Mar 16, 19, 8:30 am

Any airport officials read this?

Being a lifelong New Orleans resident, if I had to guess, I'd predict both possibilities are correct: The City is likely behind on updating the website, and construction is probably behind on the lounge if a contract was awarded. The airport was originally scheduled to open last year. 2 delays have resulted in a current scheduled opening of May. The access road flyover ramp from I-10 is scheduled to start construction in August, meaning that when the airport opens, access will be by surface streets (and 2-3 traffic lights that EVERYONE going to the airport will have to navigate (think Midway, but with a much shorter stretch of road for all of the cars to crowd into). If anyone on the "inside" of the City or the airport knows the correct answer, please weigh in.

Last edited by llupin; Mar 16, 19 at 8:32 am Reason: additional information
Old Mar 31, 19, 7:36 am

This article is mainly about the design of the new terminal but does have a few tidbits about amenities. One interesting fact, IMO, is that the new terminal is smaller than the existing terminal.

https://www.theadvocate.com/new_orle...161bf2a14.html
Old Mar 31, 19, 9:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FLYMSY View Post
This article is mainly about the design of the new terminal but does have a few tidbits about amenities. One interesting fact, IMO, is that the new terminal is smaller than the existing terminal.

https://www.theadvocate.com/new_orle...161bf2a14.html
I'm very thankful for both of these:
"Fifty percent of the chairs have outlets for charging devices, and water fountains include bottle refilling stations."

In today's world, they should have outlets at every seat, but 50% is still better than most.

This pic is a little concerning. They've replaced lower/upper levels with a single level for traffic. A lower level may be dark and dreary, but at least it provides protection from the rain. Here there's an outer curb with no cover at all, and even the covered inner curb may not stay dry if the rain is accompanied by wind.
Old Apr 4, 19, 10:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: RCC: SC; BC: M.Ed.; UA: PG; DL: GM
Originally Posted by swag View Post
They've replaced lower/upper levels with a single level for traffic. A lower level may be dark and dreary, but at least it provides protection from the rain. Here there's an outer curb with no cover at all, and even the covered inner curb may not stay dry if the rain is accompanied by wind.
Rain? In New Orleans?
travelmad478 likes this.
Old Apr 10, 19, 7:18 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Hopefully they will upgrade the airport WiFi too. Maybe I'm just unlucky today but it seems to be FLYMSY by name, FLIMSY by nature. In the absence of a lounge I was hoping for a decent breakfast airside plus some basic facilities to get some work done. Sadly neither are present at the moment and my cell phone data connection is also very poor within the terminal building providing sporadic coverage (although this is not the airport's fault).
Old Apr 11, 19, 2:31 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Loews Platinum
https://www.thenewmsy.com/project-up...rport-terminal
Delayed to Fall

Search this Thread
Search Engine: