Wiki Posts
Search

Where to see wild aligators in WDW area

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21, 2018, 4:10 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Independent
Where to see wild aligators in WDW area

My cousin and uncle really want to see a live alligator in the wild when we are down at Disney in a couple of weeks. I know plenty pf places to find them that are a bit of a drive from the parks, but any suggestions on a reliable spot in t4h Kissimme area? We won't have time for a airboat ride (would be appropriate for the group anyways) and was hoping for something wild, not Gatorland.

thanks!
Old Apr 22, 2018, 8:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Silver
This has some good advice, though some are a bit far afield.
6 of the Best Places to Spot Alligators Near Orlando

Top on the list:
The most infamous spot in town is Lake Jesup, which is 100,000 years old and home to a whopping 10,000 alligators. (We'll pass on the midnight swim, thank you very much.) Located just north of Orlando, Lake Jesup holds the record for the largest concentration of gators in any lake in the U.S.

https://rootsrated.com/stories/6-of-...s-near-orlando
Old Apr 22, 2018, 8:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Silver
One more note. You really have to know how to spot them. I was at the Canaveral National Seashore quietly enjoying lunch at a lakeside turnout.
A van full of tourists parked, got out, wandered around loudly and then complained that there weren't any alligators to be seen. I had already seen 4 or 5, including the one that was about 6 feet away from them.
When I pointed it out (and there was no protective barrier between them and the gator), they quickly got back in their van and drove off.
Old Apr 24, 2018, 4:25 am

Originally Posted by pbiflyer
One more note. You really have to know how to spot them.
Yes, they are easy to miss (by design). I once took one of the specialty tours at Kennedy Space Center. It was the tour that visits the oldest launch sites on the Cape Canaveral Air Force Station. One of the stops was Launch Complex 34, where the Apollo 1 tragedy happened. There's a lot of swamp surrounding that site and the guide suggested it would be smart to stay away from the vegetation because of alligators (and snakes). As if on cue, this massive gator crawled out of the water about 20 yards away. It was easily 10 feet long. I'd basically been looking right at it but only saw it once it moved.
Old Apr 26, 2018, 2:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by pbiflyer
One more note. You really have to know how to spot them. I was at the Canaveral National Seashore quietly enjoying lunch at a lakeside turnout.
A van full of tourists parked, got out, wandered around loudly and then complained that there weren't any alligators to be seen. I had already seen 4 or 5, including the one that was about 6 feet away from them.
When I pointed it out (and there was no protective barrier between them and the gator), they quickly got back in their van and drove off.
"Dang, there goes lunch!"

David

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.