Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > South
Reload this Page >

How reliable is PBI when you know who is at Mar a Lago?

Old Mar 24, 18, 10:00 am
Original Poster

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold

I have my first trip using PBI in years, and now that the Winter White House is nearby, I was wondering how Presidential travel affects scheduled flights?

My flight would be on a Sunday afternoon, so that could be in the zone of Potus travel. Anyone flown through PBI during Presidential visits?
Old Mar 24, 18, 11:13 am

Programs: AA (EXP); among others :)
pretty reliable. Regular scheduled passenger service is not or only very minimally affected by the TFRs (Temporary Flight Restrictions). There are minor delays right around when the presidential aircraft lands and departs but otherwise it's pretty much business as usual:
When the PBI TFR is active, all operations will be prohibited within the inner ring of the TFR, except POTUS aircraft; military aircraft supporting the U.S. Secret Service; approved law enforcement, air ambulance and firefighting operations; and scheduled commercial and cargo flights operating under TSA Standard Security Programs. (Source - bolding mine). It's General aviation that takes a big hit. And there's a lot of road closures that may cause delays in getting to the airport depending on where you are; check the local media for details. I had a flight out of PBI during a presidential visit, and the worst thing was getting to the airport in time through the closed roads.
Old Mar 25, 18, 2:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, Starwood Plat, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Hilton Silver
We raced AF1 in one time. Pilot said if we were to arrive after him, there would be a 45 minute delay. Not sure about outbound.
Old Apr 2, 18, 12:49 pm
OTD

Programs: AAdvantage PPRO, HHonors Gold, Marriott Silver, Skymiles, Mileage Plus
I've not had a problem related to AF1's comings and goings. They seem to clean up pretty quickly after he arrives. The only roads that are closed when Trump's in town are right around Mar-a-Lago on the island proper. Other than that, minimal impact, although my wife did see a group of Secret Service agents once at the Jon Smith's in WPB.

Search this Thread