Reload this Page >

NOLA car rental starting 4/1/18 (Easter Sunday)--nope

Old Mar 7, 18, 6:36 pm
Moderator: Credit Card Programs & Chase Ultimate Rewards
Original Poster

Programs: Too many to list

I reserved a car in NOLA, on Canal St., starting 4/1/18 many months ago. Today I get a call from the Canal St. office that they are closed on Easter Sunday. So I call the 1-800 # and explain my problem. Turns out all locations, except MSY, are closed. They ask if I can pick it up a day early, on Sat. Luckily I can and the rate actually went down by $30. Good news, bad news. Homewood Suites, on Rampart, charges $35/night for Valet parking. Maybe I can find a safe place nearby that charges less. Ideas?
Old Mar 7, 18, 9:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
There's a large public garage across Rampart from your hotel (well, one block over, between Iberville and Bienville). Not sure of overnight rates, but I'm sure it's cheaper than the hotel.
Old Mar 8, 18, 8:11 am
Original Poster

Thanks, swag. Will ck it out.
Old Mar 8, 18, 11:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 5MM; BA GLD
Although not as easy as it once was, there are still parking bargains to be had in NOLA if youíre willing to walk a few blocks. Check out www.bestparking.com. Enter your dates, time and location and search for rates.
Old Mar 9, 18, 12:23 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Blumie View Post
Although not as easy as it once was, there are still parking bargains to be had in NOLA if youíre willing to walk a few blocks. Check out www.bestparking.com. Enter your dates, time and location and search for rates.
Thanks. Looks about the same as https://neworleans.bestparking.com/ and https://www.parkingpanda.com/new-orleans-parking
$20/24 hrs is better than $35 that the hotel charges.
Old Mar 9, 18, 12:43 pm

It’s good to have choices. One is valet parking and the other is self-parking, along with the price differential.
Old Mar 9, 18, 1:58 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by FLYMSY View Post
Itís good to have choices. One is valet parking and the other is self-parking, along with the price differential.
This hotel doesn't offer self-parking so Valet or off property were my choices. Yes, the man with many choices is a happy man.
Old Mar 9, 18, 5:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 5MM; BA GLD
Originally Posted by philemer View Post
This hotel doesn't offer self-parking so Valet or off property were my choices. Yes, the man with many choices is a happy man.
If the man with many choices chooses to walk a few blocks up Canal St. heíll find a couple of lots with rates as low as $5, which might make him even happier.
Old Mar 9, 18, 6:41 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Blumie View Post

If the man with many choices chooses to walk a few blocks up Canal St. he’ll find a couple of lots with rates as low as $5, which might make him even happier.
After careful perusal I'm MUCH happier. Parking
Old Mar 12, 18, 1:00 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond
OP, be aware that on the morning of March 31 (the Saturday before Easter), the 10K Crescent City Classic is run. Multiple streets around the FQ will be closed that morning to accommodate the runners. Canal St (except near the river) should be OK though.
Old Mar 13, 18, 7:08 pm
Original Poster

The car rental office looks to be near Canal & Treme. I plan to park it right away and enjoy our final evening in NOLA. Maybe Uber it to a nice restaurant.
Old Mar 14, 18, 7:11 am

Programs: DL, AA, UA
You might check for (free) street parking on Crozat between Canal and Bienville, around the corner from your hotel. It's a short street with very little traffic. I've frequently been successful there for evening shows at the Saenger, and I've seen FQ restaurant workers park there, too.
Old Mar 15, 18, 7:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
Originally Posted by jg70124 View Post
You might check for (free) street parking on Crozat between Canal and Bienville, around the corner from your hotel. It's a short street with very little traffic. I've frequently been successful there for evening shows at the Saenger, and I've seen FQ restaurant workers park there, too.
I agree, you may be able to find legal and free street parking on the weekend. That said, if you do try for street parking...
  • Read the signs carefully.
  • It's not posted, but in New Orleans, it's illegal to park within 20 feet of a crosswalk. At some corners, you'll see a yellow triangle designating the prohibited space, but even if it's not painted, it's still illegal. One car length from the crosswalk (or 2 from the corner) is a good estimate.
  • If you do somehow end up with a ticket, pay it promptly. Fines usually double after 14 days, and if it gets sent to the rental car company, you'll have a bunch of fees from them too.
  • If you park on the street, do not leave anything at all visible inside the car. Even something innocuous like a jacket or a phone charger can attract thieves. This advice also applies for parking in an unmanned lot.
Old Mar 15, 18, 9:54 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by swag View Post
I agree, you may be able to find legal and free street parking on the weekend. That said, if you do try for street parking...
  • Read the signs carefully.
  • It's not posted, but in New Orleans, it's illegal to park within 20 feet of a crosswalk. At some corners, you'll see a yellow triangle designating the prohibited space, but even if it's not painted, it's still illegal. One car length from the crosswalk (or 2 from the corner) is a good estimate.
  • If you do somehow end up with a ticket, pay it promptly. Fines usually double after 14 days, and if it gets sent to the rental car company, you'll have a bunch of fees from them too.
  • If you park on the street, do not leave anything at all visible inside the car. Even something innocuous like a jacket or a phone charger can attract thieves. This advice also applies for parking in an unmanned lot.
Good advice. I plan on parking in a garage. Safer I feel.
Old Mar 15, 18, 2:35 pm

Originally Posted by philemer View Post
Good advice. I plan on parking in a garage. Safer I feel.
Good decision.

Search this Thread