Search

A few days in New Orleans

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19, 2018, 11:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Originally Posted by philemer
PM sent. ^
I completely trust whatever advice swag gives, but if you post your dates publicly, I'm happy to contribute my two cents, too.
Old Mar 19, 2018, 11:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Originally Posted by Blumie

I’m neither a native nor a local — as much time as I spend in Nola, I know not to consider myself a local until I take the leap that swag took and actually relocate there; and my new position in Abu Dhabi, and my daughter’s likely decision to go to school in California rather than at Tulane, may have pushed that back by a couple of years — but I’m loving this conversation, too.

What i foubd of particular interest in the research I cited wasn’t just their definition of “downtown” as being down river from Canal St — which I also never had heard before — but also that the term “downtown” is used less frequently, as people now tend to refer to specific neighborhoods. This is exactly what I was thinking when I responded to the OP indicating that his hotel was not “downtown.” Although I hear the term “downtown” used, I recognize it as being too vague to identify exactly where the hotel is (although to a native, such as FLYMSY, it sounds like the description is perfectly precise).

By the way, FLYMSY, I love the image of you as a kid on the streetcar as it “sped along the tracks.” I’ve ridden the streetcars many, many times as an adult and “sped” is not the first word that comes to mind!!

Let me ask this question of the natives and locals: what does one mean by “uptown”? Where does it begin? Does it include or exclude other specifically identifiable neighborhoods (Riverbend, for example)?
This geography discussion probably deserves it's own thread. Probably not what the OP was thinking of when he started this thread. FT threads are famous for morphing, of course. Just thinking out loud.
Old Mar 19, 2018, 11:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I completely trust whatever advice swag gives, but if you post your dates publicly, I'm happy to contribute my two cents, too.
Last week of March. Thx. ^ "Streetcar..." sounds awesome.
Old Mar 20, 2018, 5:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If that includes the night of the 31st, this show is a can’t miss IMHO, both because of the performers and the venue:

https://m.facebook.com/events/226608511410711
Old Mar 20, 2018, 6:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If that includes the night of the 31st, this show is a can’t miss IMHO, both because of the performers and the venue:

https://m.facebook.com/events/226608511410711
There are great options every night that week. But what's really great is that that is not unusual. It is rare for me to look at the WWOZ Live Music Calendar (find it at https://www.wwoz.org/calendar/livewire-music) and not find at least one --and usually more than one -- great option for every night of the week. Below are where I would be each night that week if I were in town. I've noted those that I consider to be musts.

Sunday, March 25: Meschiya Lake and the Little Big Horns at Chickie Wah Wah. A must IMHO.

Monday, March 26: Ok, so this is a random Monday in March, and I count no less than five shows that I want to attend, so I had to narrow it down to three:
Start by seeing Margie Perez perform an early (5pm; note, though, that all shows are "New Orleans time," meaning don't expect them to start precisely, or even imprecisely, on time) show at 30/90 on Frenchmen St.
Then head to dinner in the courtyard at Bacchanal (a must IMHO), where Helen Gillet performs beginning at 7pm. Helen is a Belgian (though has lived in NOLA for a long time) cellist who usually performs solo with a repeater. She's a real treat.
End the night (you are planning to stay out late, aren't you?) with the George Porter Trio at the Maple Leaf Bar.

Tuesday, March 27: Start with Alex McMurray at the Circle Bar and then it's a toss up between the Treme Brass Band at dba and Rebirth Brass Band at The Maple Leaf Bar.

Wednesday, March 28: Beginning in March, the Young Leadership Council hosts Wednesday at the Square, free late afternoon concerts in Lafayette Square. This is great community event and not to be missed, IMHO. This Wednesday, Marc Broussard and Helen Gillet (who you will have seen and loved at Bacchanal on Monday night!) will perform beginning at 5pm. (Expect this to start close to on time.) In addition to the music, food and beverages will be available for sale, and a number of local artists and other vendors will set up shop. A really nice way to spend a late afternoon/early evening.
After dinner, head to dba to see the Tin Men, followed by Walter "Wolfman" Washington. (Note: nobody looks better in a mustard yellow, or cherry red, or periwinkle blue suit than Walter does!)

Thursday, March 29: Another night with way too many shows to recommend. Among the too many good options, I'd go see John "Papa" Gros at Chickie Wah Wah, though if you want one night of traditional jazz, go see Joe Lastie at Maison Bourbon, and if you want to check out the famous Rock 'n' Bowl, go see Nathan & The Zydeco Cha Chas for Thursday zydeco night.

Friday, March 30: I see many good shows on the calendar that I imagine swag might recommend, but if I were headed out that night, I'd go to BJs, a real neighborhood dive bar to see Rough 7, Ryan Scully's New Orleans rock/punk band. Of all of my recommendations, this is the one in which I would suggest that you have to share my taste for the authentic, local, slightly off beat, likely off color, experience in order to enjoy this. I'll leave it to swag to chime in with safer suggestions.

Saturday, March 31: See my Music Box Village recommendation in my prior post.
When that ends, follow Meschiya Lake from Music Box Village to dba to see her perform with the Little Big Horns (especially if you didn't make it to her show on Sunday night), followed by a late performance by the Lost Bayou Ramblers. This, too, is an absolute must, IMHO.
Old Mar 20, 2018, 8:33 am

Are there any "don't miss" events going on in NOLA the last week of this month? Concerts? Theatre? I couldn't find anything.
Originally Posted by swag
Things slow down a little here for Easter week.
Based on swag’s and Blumie’s posts, it’s a good thing that it slows down a little here.

Here’s my contribution:

I’m a little surprised to see that the Historic FQ Easter parade begins and ends at Antoine’s. But, that’s another story for another day.

https://gonola.com/upcoming-events-i...in-new-orleans

Old Mar 20, 2018, 9:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks, Blumie. It's going to be hard to pick a few out of all the good looking options. Chickie Wah Wah is only about 1.5 miles from our hotel and I like the looks of that venue. Quite an eclectic place. ^
Old Mar 20, 2018, 9:25 am

Talking

:

I’m neither a native nor a local — as much time as I spend in Nola, I know not to consider myself a local until I take the leap that swag took and actually relocate there; and my new position in Abu Dhabi, and my daughter’s likely decision to go to school in California rather than at Tulane, may have pushed that back by a couple of years — but I’m loving this conversation, too.

​​​​
What I found of particular interest in the research I cited wasn’t just their definition of “downtown” as being down river from Canal St — which I also never had heard before — but also that the term “downtown” is used less frequently, as people now tend to refer to specific neighborhoods. This is exactly what I was thinking when I responded to the OP indicating that his hotel was not “downtown.” Although I hear the term “downtown” used, I recognize it as being too vague to identify exactly where the hotel is (although to a native, such as FLYMSY, it sounds like the description is perfectly precise).

By the way, FLYMSY, I love the image of you as a kid on the streetcar as it “sped along the tracks.” I’ve ridden the streetcars many, many times as an adult and “sped” is not the first word that comes to mind!!

Let me ask this question of the natives and locals: what does one mean by “uptown”? Where does it begin? Does it include or exclude other specifically identifiable neighborhoods (Riverbend, for example)? Does it extend all the way to Jefferson Parish?
Your daughter’s loss for not coming to Tulane. 😄
My family has a long history there. In fact, when my Dad was there, the night before the LSU-Tulane game in NOLA, he and some friends stole Mike the Tiger, cage and all, from Ye Olde College Inn’s parking lot. Mike spent the night in my grandfather’s garage in Faubourg Bouligny. 😄😄

As far as the streetcar speeding along the tracks story, that belongs to the magic and wonder of being an 8 year old. Adults don’t have that and the real pity is that kids don’t get to have that experience today.

Ahhhhh, “Uptown”. You really want to open a can of worms, don’t you? 😉
Let me preface this by saying, GENERALLY, Uptown begins on the uptown side of Louisiana Ave. and then after that, it goes to hell in a hand basket. Depends on who you’re talking to at the moment, the day of the week, the phase of the moon and how the planets are aligned at that nanosecond. We’ll use Uptown to describe the University, Carrollton and Riverbend areas, all the way to the Jeff Parish line sometimes and other times, depending on the discussion, we’ll talk about Riverbend or Carrollton as being distinct. Frequently, I draw the line at S. Carrollton. Usually. Generally. Maybe. It’s messy, complicated, funky, weird, but to quote Chris Kenner, “I like it like that”.
Old Mar 20, 2018, 9:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FLYMSY

Based on swag’s and Blumie’s posts, it’s a good thing that it slows down a little here.

Here’s my contribution:

I’m a little surprised to see that the Historic FQ Easter parade begins and ends at Antoine’s. But, that’s another story for another day.

https://gonola.com/upcoming-events-i...in-new-orleans

Unfortunately, we're leaving town Sunday morning and will miss the Easter parade.
Old Mar 20, 2018, 9:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks, Blumie. It's going to be hard to pick a few out of all the good looking options. Chickie Wah Wah is only about 1.5 miles from our hotel and I like the looks of that venue. Quite an eclectic place. ^
I wasn’t suggesting that you pick out a few. You should go to all of them. 🙂
Old Mar 20, 2018, 9:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
Blumie has presented a solid list.

Since I don't know your age/stamina/style or what the weather will be, I'll add a few comments about the venues that may guide you.

Music Box Village and Wednesday at the Square, these are outdoor spots. There is limited or no seating, you can bring your own lawn chair, or stand. Bacchanal is also outdoors, but it's a large yard with tables and chairs provided.

dba , Maple Leaf, Circle Bar have very limited seating in the room where the music plays, but you can sometimes find a seat (at dba in the side room; at Maple Leaf in the rear courtyard) ) and hear a little (but not see).

30/90, Maison have limited seating. Unless you're early or lucky, expect to stand.

Rock n Bowl is mostly standing, but there are some picnic tables in the back. Or grab one of the bowling lanes, which have seats for when you're not bowling or dancing.

Chickie has seating for most, though latecomers may end up standing on a busy night.

I'll add a few other shows to consider.

If you like jazz guitar, Tuesday has New Orleans Guitar Masters feat. Jimmy Robinson and Cranston Clements and John Rankin at Columns Hotel.

Saturday, Alana Davis is performing her first feature show in New Orleans in 20 years and her first concert of 2018 at the Little Gem, with blues guitarist Marc Stone and a band of top local players. She'll also be a guest at Marc's birthday show Friday at dba.
Old Mar 20, 2018, 9:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FLYMSY
:

Your daughter’s loss for not coming to Tulane. 😄
My family has a long history there. In fact, when my Dad was there, the night before the LSU-Tulane game in NOLA, he and some friends stole Mike the Tiger, cage and all, from Ye Olde College Inn’s parking lot. Mike spent the night in my grandfather’s garage in Faubourg Bouligny. 😄😄

As far as the streetcar speeding along the tracks story, that belongs to the magic and wonder of being an 8 year old. Adults don’t have that and the real pity is that kids don’t get to have that experience today.

Ahhhhh, “Uptown”. You really want to open a can of worms, don’t you? 😉
Let me preface this by saying, GENERALLY, Uptown begins on the uptown side of Louisiana Ave. and then after that, it goes to hell in a hand basket. Depends on who you’re talking to at the moment, the day of the week, the phase of the moon and how the planets are aligned at that nanosecond. We’ll use Uptown to describe the University, Carrollton and Riverbend areas, all the way to the Jeff Parish line sometimes and other times, depending on the discussion, we’ll talk about Riverbend or Carrollton as being distinct. Frequently, I draw the line at S. Carrollton. Usually. Generally. Maybe. It’s messy, complicated, funky, weird, but to quote Chris Kenner, “I like it like that”.
It seems to me that like with NYC, Uptown is both a neighborhood and a direction. If I'm near the Quarter and going to the Garden District, I might say I'm heading uptown - but with the same destination but starting in the Riverbend, I wouldn't...

And since last night was St. Joseph's, I'll also muddy things with the Uptown and Downtown Mardi Gras Indian tribes. Is Canal the dividing line for that? The Downtown Indians gather in the Seventh Ward (not Downtown except by Blumie's scholarly research),a nd the Uptown Indians gather at 2nd & Dryades, which is Central City and well short of your Louisiana Ave boundary...
Old Mar 20, 2018, 10:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Blumie has presented a solid list.

Since I don't know your age/stamina/style or what the weather will be, I'll add a few comments about the venues that may guide you.

Music Box Village and Wednesday at the Square, these are outdoor spots. There is limited or no seating, you can bring your own lawn chair, or stand. Bacchanal is also outdoors, but it's a large yard with tables and chairs provided.

dba , Maple Leaf, Circle Bar have very limited seating in the room where the music plays, but you can sometimes find a seat (at dba in the side room; at Maple Leaf in the rear courtyard) ) and hear a little (but not see).

30/90, Maison have limited seating. Unless you're early or lucky, expect to stand.

Rock n Bowl is mostly standing, but there are some picnic tables in the back. Or grab one of the bowling lanes, which have seats for when you're not bowling or dancing.

Chickie has seating for most, though latecomers may end up standing on a busy night.

I'll add a few other shows to consider.

If you like jazz guitar, Tuesday has New Orleans Guitar Masters feat. Jimmy Robinson and Cranston Clements and John Rankin at Columns Hotel.

Saturday, Alana Davis is performing her first feature show in New Orleans in 20 years and her first concert of 2018 at the Little Gem, with blues guitarist Marc Stone and a band of top local players. She'll also be a guest at Marc's birthday show Friday at dba.
Thanks for the tips. Yes, age and stamina will be an issue, mostly for my wife. She can't stand for extended periods (30-40 min. max). With this new info how about venues where we can be seated? I do like jazz guitar and easy-listening jazz. We are products of the 50s and 60s so enjoy music from that era too. Hope this helps.
Old Mar 20, 2018, 10:52 am

It seems to me that like with NYC, Uptown is both a neighborhood and a direction. If I'm near the Quarter and going to the Garden District, I might say I'm heading uptown - but with the same destination but starting in the Riverbend, I wouldn't...

And since last night was St. Joseph's, I'll also muddy things with the Uptown and Downtown Mardi Gras Indian tribes. Is Canal the dividing line for that? The Downtown Indians gather in the Seventh Ward (not Downtown except by Blumie's scholarly research),a nd the Uptown Indians gather at 2nd & Dryades, which is Central City and well short of your Louisiana Ave boundary...
You’re absolutely correct, it can be a neighborhood AND a direction. See, you are becoming a “local”. 😉😄 Works for the Indian groups, also.

The academics, tourism and marketing groups, HDLC and politiclans, etc. like to draw nice, neat little boundaries. But, in the everyday real world of just living here, we natives/locals aren’t so pedantic. 😂😂

Here’s a real world example for you, if I’m in the Lower Garden District and want to go towards Uptown, I just might hop on the “Uptown Expressway” to drive. What’s the “Uptown Expressway”, you ask? Why, it’s Constance St., of course! If I’m Uptown and want to drive in the direction of Downtown, I’d probably get on the “Downtown Expressway”, better known as Laurel St.
Old Mar 20, 2018, 11:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks for the tips. Yes, age and stamina will be an issue, mostly for my wife. She can't stand for extended periods (30-40 min. max). With this new info how about venues where we can be seated? I do like jazz guitar and easy-listening jazz. We are products of the 50s and 60s so enjoy music from that era too. Hope this helps.
The Columns show sounds good then.

For the BYO chair shows, you can find folding/bag chairs at any CVS or Walgreens for $10 or less.

At Chickie, you can arrive by around 7:45 for an 8 pm show and almost always get a seat.

At Little Gem, you can reserve a seat in advance.

Likewise for Three Muses; I like the Shotgun jazz Band playing there on Saturday.

Snug Harbor has jazz nightly with cocktail seating.

Another idea is to just wander the Frenchmen area and "follow your ears. Starting at end of the Quarter at the Balcony Club at Decatur and Esplanade, walk one half block down Decatur and then a slight left onto Frenchmen, two blocks to Royal St. On that 3 block walk you'll pass a dozen or so music clubs (many with no cover charge), where you can pop your head in and see if the band sounds good to you and if there are seats available:
Balcony Club
Checkpoint Charlies
Vaso
Maison
30/90
Bamboula's
Blue Nile
Cafe Negril
dba
Snug Harbor
Apple Barrel
Spotted Cat

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.