Reload this Page >

Places to Eat at FLL or MIA?

Old Feb 4, 18, 10:30 pm
Original Poster

2019 Secret Santa

Programs: DL GM, UA, B6, AA, WN, AS, AGR

I will be arriving at FLL at ~11:30AM and need to kill some time between arrival and check-in at my Airbnb rental in Miami.

Because of the timing, and the need to kill time, I'll want to have lunch at either FLL (preferred) or at MIA (if I can grab my checked bag and make it to the Tri Rail station before the train arrives at 12:03PM).

So, my options are:

Eat lunch at FLL, and would need to find a place at the airport pre-security since I would have had to leave the sterile area to collect my checked bag. Leave on the 1:03PM Tri Rail train and get to my Airbnb rental just after the check-in time.

Take Tri Rail to MIA and eat lunch at MIA to kill time until it's time to head over to the Airbnb.

Since I'll be dragging a bag, carry-on, and personal item, I'd rather not go out of the airport for food. I'll be taking public transportation, so I won't be renting a vehicle.

So, what are some good pre-security food options at either airport? FLL's/Broward County's website is terribly buggy and I don't find it reliable, and MIA's website doesn't sort restaurants by pre and post security.
Old Feb 5, 18, 6:01 am
Moderator, Trip Reports

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
I my opinion there is only one place to eat in Miami La Casita! The restaurant is really close, and they frequently see people (like me) with luggage, I don't think you'll regret the extra effort.
Old Feb 5, 18, 12:15 pm

Outside of security at FLL, you don't have many options:
  • Terminal 1: Starbucks, Lime-a-Rita Bar (only grab and go items, I think)
  • Terminal 2: Starbucks
  • Terminal 3: Plane Box Food Company (only grab and go items)
  • Terminal 4: Cross Grain Brewhouse, Harvest and Grounds
  • Rental Car Center: Starbucks
I don't ever fly out of Terminal 4, so I can't comment on those options. I think Harvest and Grounds is mostly coffee and pastries. The Brewhouse seems to have several dismal Yelp reviews.
Old Feb 5, 18, 3:42 pm
Original Poster

2019 Secret Santa

Thanks for the suggestions everyone!

Since I'm leaving from the Fort Lauderdale/Dania Beach Tri Rail Station, I realized that maybe I could take the shuttle to the station, or the hotel shuttle to the Courtyard Marriott which is next to the station, and have lunch at the bistro there. Since I'd have an hour to kill, grab and go is less appealing than a restaurant with a bar.
Old Feb 7, 18, 4:37 am

Now that you mention it, that seems like an obvious suggestion. That Courtyard is adjacent to a Bass Pro Shops store that also includes a full-service restaurant. I've never been, but their menu is available online. With a tip, I'm sure the hotel would store your bags for an hour, even if you're not a guest.

Home - Islamorada Fish Company | Bass Pro Shops
Old Feb 7, 18, 10:48 am
Original Poster

2019 Secret Santa

Dang it! My flights were cancelled due to the mess on the east coast, so I ended up flying BOS-IAH-MIA (I'm posting this from the IAH-MIA leg right now) and I'll arrive at 1:30 so I guess I can drop off my bags and go get some food at Versailles

Last edited by diburning; Feb 7, 18 at 7:19 pm

Search this Thread