FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   South (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/south-454/)
-   -   FL Destinations / Hotels for lazy beach weekend away? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/south/1891920-fl-destinations-hotels-lazy-beach-weekend-away.html)

CharlotteB Feb 2, 2018 9:58 am

FL Destinations / Hotels for lazy beach weekend away?

Looking for recommendations - destinations and hotels in FL for an affordable luxury weekend getaway. Beach, lounge chairs, beautiful views, do nothing but have drinks bought to us, kind of thing...great spa would be a bonus. Have points so help make affordable if needed. Never done a trip like this and am a novice when it comes to staying in hotels so any recommendations greatly appreciated. Thanks!

BamaVol Feb 2, 2018 2:30 pm

Originally Posted by CharlotteB (Post 29371719)
Looking for recommendations - destinations and hotels in FL for an affordable luxury weekend getaway. Beach, lounge chairs, beautiful views, do nothing but have drinks bought to us, kind of thing...great spa would be a bonus. Have points so help make affordable if needed. Never done a trip like this and am a novice when it comes to staying in hotels so any recommendations greatly appreciated. Thanks!

It would help to know your timeframe. For example, the Panhandle would not be warm enough in February and locally, we might still expect to be overrun by the Spring Break crowd in March.

If I understand your requirements otherwise, you're looking for a single place to stay/eat/drink/recreate. Also prefer a chain where you have points. Which ones?

Madone59 Feb 2, 2018 3:47 pm

I don't know what your definition of luxury is but check out Hyatt or Ritz Siesta Key/ Sarasota. One of the best beaches in the world!

CharlotteB Feb 2, 2018 5:55 pm

First thanks for responding guys!
ok...
Timeframe - pretty flexible. February would be nice, but we can also go later.
Pretty much yes on the single place to stay/eat/drink part - don't mind walking or uber, to dinner or another bar at night if we need or if there is somewhere excellent around, but our goal is a quick relax and rejuvenate weekend, so the less we "need" to do, the better.
As far as chains - doesn't have to be a chain.. but if I can use / earn points then that is always a good thing!
I am Gold at Hilton, SPG/Marriot. Most of my points are MR's so they can be used pretty much anywhere.

As for my definition of luxury... umm .. most of my hotel stays are pretty budget, and with the idea being to relax and rejuvenate a little more "comfort" seems great. A nice bview from room, an outdoor bar or bar service around the pool/beach would be nice, a decent breakfast, bar/restaurant on site. Being new to any kind of status I don't really know how much value executive lounges have, but the free drinks and snacks/breakfast was nice the last time we used one (although I feel there is great variation in quality here).
Maybe the best way for me to describe luxury is this.. a bed and a room that you would be happy to stay in all day if you had too!! lol

I'll give the Hyatt and Ritz a look!

Thanks!!!

CharlotteB Feb 18, 2018 10:22 am

Just checking back in on this....Anyone have any other suggestions?

Thx!!

Weez Feb 19, 2018 6:04 am

Staying at doubletree Hollywood beach at the moment. Not luxury but nice room with both pool and partial ocean views. Good pool, steps to beach. Pool bar etc

xooz Feb 19, 2018 7:11 am

As one who does similar, short weekend trips, I would start with considering the air component as a way of zeroing in on a location. Looks like you are maybe flying from BNA, so for a short weekend trip you would probably want a place you can fly nonstop. So for Southwest, you have FLL, TPA,and RSW in the south and JAX, ECP,and PNS in the north. For me, I would not plan a short trip to northern Florida prior to April.

So if I were you I would look at the locations I could get to and return from conveniently and focus my search on hotels there. A lot of chain hotels up and down the coast near FLL, Tampa has the Clearwater area and it is not too far to Sarasota. Ft. Myers puts you close to Naples, My only recent stay in these locations was the Hilton Ft. Lauderdale Beach Resort. Across the street from the beach.... as a Gold you would get breakfast... I wasn't overwhelmed with the place as it was a pretty large hotel and a little impersonal. Good luck on the search!

MSPeconomist Feb 19, 2018 7:17 am

Amelia Island near JAX is relaxing and IIRC the RC there is very reasonably priced for a RC.

I also like the Hyatt (renovated HR right on the water with boat docks, a boardwalk to see birds, a beach, two pools, etc.) They provide free shuttle service from TPA airport.

Miami South Beach is for those who want nightlife, not relaxation IMO.

aww3583 Feb 19, 2018 7:43 am

Hilton Sandestin Beach Resort would fit. Spa is top notch, too.

Ceres Feb 21, 2018 1:15 pm

For east coast I like the Hollywood Marriott. It's right on the boardwalk. Plenty of food and beverage choices in walking distance. Great ocean views. Had a lounge last time I was there.

West coast would be the hyatt on Clearwater beach. Great views high end property and right in the middle of everything. Pool and bar on the roof.

I also really liked the RC on key biscayne too. Great spa wonderful views and great location to see KB and SOBE if so inclined.

BamaVol Feb 24, 2018 7:21 am

Although WN to ECP may look tempting, do not visit until Spring Break is over. Honestly, PCB is mostly condos and the beach is the main attraction. I find Destin too crowded. But I like PNS. It’s historic, a smallish city, good food and Pensacola Beach is lined with decent chain properties.

pbiflyer Feb 28, 2018 9:42 pm

Originally Posted by aww3583 (Post 29433668)
Hilton Sandestin Beach Resort would fit. Spa is top notch, too.

This.

hhoope01 Mar 1, 2018 7:08 am

Originally Posted by Ceres (Post 29443165)
For east coast I like the Hollywood Marriott. It's right on the boardwalk. Plenty of food and beverage choices in walking distance. Great ocean views. Had a lounge last time I was there.

This is a good alternative if you don't want/need very many "resort" amenities. For a Marriott Gold/Plat, this is one of the few beachfront properties with a CL and the couple of times I stayed, as a Marriott Plat, I was upgraded to a nice oceanfront room. Don't go looking for an onsite SPA or even much of a pool, but it really is right on the beach with some great views.

Also, I also agree with the Sandestin Hilton as well. It is a nice property with most of the usual "resort" amenities and the Destin beach there is beautiful, wide with soft, white, powdery sand. But I would suggest staying away from the Pensacola Beach Hilton resort. It is a dump and I'd rather stay at the Hampton Inn with few resort amenities next to it rather stay there. :td:

Ceres Mar 1, 2018 9:21 am

Originally Posted by hhoope01 (Post 29472643)
This is a good alternative if you don't want/need very many "resort" amenities. For a Marriott Gold/Plat, this is one of the few beachfront properties with a CL and the couple of times I stayed, as a Marriott Plat, I was upgraded to a nice oceanfront room. Don't go looking for an onsite SPA or even much of a pool, but it really is right on the beach with some great views.
:td:

The other one like in the general area is the Marriott, they call it fort Lauderdale resort beach and spa, but its actually Pompano Bch. I stayed there a lot but no lounge and no breakfast for plats. I had better views at the Hollywood one. Pompano better property but there is very little nearby.

htran88 Mar 12, 2018 12:37 pm

Hyatt Regency Coconut Pointe in Naples, FL

Just got back from here this past weekend, kind of did exactly what you wanted. Great category 4 property (free annual night with Hyatt cc) or 15k points (7.5k +$100 for points and cash, may also have to pay $30/night resort fee).

Rooms are nothing special and views aren't the typical beachfront views. The pool area is amazing and has a quiet adult area (was surprised when it was actually quiet). Jacuzzi and water slides along with a lazy river can be found. The resort has a private island which I did not go because it was a little too chilly for me (high 70s/low 80s this past weekend).

Best part of the weekend get away was the $50 champagne and jazz brunch. You get a choice of a plated dish as well as a seafood buffet (crab claws, shrimp, oysters, sushi, etc).

Didn't get a chance to check out the spa so can't comment on that.