Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > South
Reload this Page >

Best South Florida beach for younger kids

Old Dec 20, 17, 12:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton HHonors Diamond, IHG Plat

we are planning a March 2018 vaca to south Florida and are wondering what the best beaches are in terms of gentle surf, nice shallow entry, decent sand,etc? I am assuming these would be on the gulf side but not sure?

Thanks!
Old Dec 20, 17, 1:37 pm
Moderator, Trip Reports

Programs: UA Silver, AS & AA GM, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold
Siesta Key - Sarasota! I believe it is voted one of the counties finest beaches. I have been several times and think it is a fantastic beach from surf to sand.
Old Dec 25, 17, 2:40 pm

Programs: DL Skymiles KE Skypass
South Florida or Southwest Florida, as there is a major difference in Destinations.

After Hurricane Irma, many of the beaches were eroded to the point there is little sand and a major drop off in depth very close to shore. Many cities are working with FEMA to get funds to replenish the beaches with sand from deeper in the ocean. After Katrina and Wilma in 2004 and Sandy in 2012, many beaches on the Atlantic Side were destroyed and it took a few years before replenishment/rehabilitation was completed.

Also, be aware if you have children, that South Beach (not legally, but it isn't enforced) and Haulover Beach (legally) have nudity on them, so it may not be the best environment for them.
Old Dec 29, 17, 9:24 am

Programs: Hyatt Exploder, Marriott Plat Premier, AA Plat Pro, UA Silver, WN CP, Avis Plus, Hertz PC
I live on sunset beach (think ST Pete Beach) now and here the beaches are fine. This area fared well. BUT my favorite spot would be Anna Maria Island for kids. Only one Marriott (new and NOT on the beach) and no other chains. Plenty of small hotels and VRBO. I swear when I lived there the whole Island was there "by the week".

Great slow vibe pristine beaches and great for kids.
Old Jan 16, 18, 12:12 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton HHonors Diamond, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Ceres View Post
I live on sunset beach (think ST Pete Beach) now and here the beaches are fine. This area fared well. BUT my favorite spot would be Anna Maria Island for kids. Only one Marriott (new and NOT on the beach) and no other chains. Plenty of small hotels and VRBO. I swear when I lived there the whole Island was there "by the week".

Great slow vibe pristine beaches and great for kids.
been there once with the kids....really good time. But flying to FLL thought we would try beach locale somewhere in the southern 1/3 of the state.
Old Jan 16, 18, 1:01 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, MileagePlus, Marriott Rewards
I went to Sunny Isles Beach last year (between MIA and FLL) and while my family enjoyed the beautiful beach, the somewhat rough surf combined with copious amounts of jellyfish (my then-3 year old got stung by a man'o war which is something I don't ever want to relive) made it perhaps not the best possible choice for a family with young kids. That said, we're still going back to the Atlantic coast, but this time to a seaside hotel where I expect we'll be spending a lot more time in the pool than in the ocean.
Old Jan 16, 18, 5:39 pm

Programs: DL GM
Originally Posted by Hawkeyefan View Post
we are planning a March 2018 vaca to south Florida and are wondering what the best beaches are in terms of gentle surf, nice shallow entry, decent sand,etc? I am assuming these would be on the gulf side but not sure?

Thanks!
The Fort Lauderdale area has a lot of beaches that fit this description, though you'll need to be aware of rip currents which can be tough to predict and can go on for days at a time. The Gulf side would be a safer bet for gentle surf. Keep in mind that March is a heavy spring break time so if you are traveling with kids, you might want to pick an area that is less spring break focused. In Fort Lauderdale, I would avoid the main Fort Lauderdale Beach area for that reason and focus more north (Lauderdale by the Sea up into Pompano Beach/Lighthouse Point for example).

If you are flying to FLL, also keep in mind that it is a solid two hour drive to cross to the gulf side to get to Naples, a bit longer if you want to go up to Fort Myers. It isn't a bad drive at all, just something to remember.
Old Jan 16, 18, 11:58 pm

I would suggest Key Biscayne / Cape Florida State Park. Pretty close to Miami and really beautiful. When I was there the last time, it was not very busy either.
Old Jan 4, 19, 7:29 am

Late to the party but would like to recommend the one in Fort Myers. It's right off the southwest Florida coast. We've been going there for 3 years in a row. Last time went there back in September with 3 kids. Lots of families around, the parking spot is right there, it's never really crowded. Waves are good enough for boogie boards, smaller ones can build sand castles:

Great experience overall and the kiddos love this beach too.

Last edited by JayLeeKey; Jan 13, 19 at 1:37 am

Search this Thread