Reload this Page >

Trip from London, UK to East USA

Old Dec 11, 17, 6:49 am
Original Poster

Programs: Miles and Bonus

Hi all,

Apologies if a similar thread exists. I recently joined the community and wanted to pick your brains, in case anyone has done anything similar to what I intend to do.

I wish to travel 1st of June to Miami, rent a car and stay till the 10th June near the New Orleans area. Then I would like to go back to London.

I want to travel with star alliance but the tickets I've checked so far for either LON->MIAMI & New Orleans -> LON or LON->MIAMI & Houston-> LON are very expensive (around 850). Does anyone have any alternative or airports near those areas I could travel to? I will rent a car so I can drive a bit.

Thanks.
Old Dec 11, 17, 10:53 am

Sorry to tell you, but airline ticket prices during the summer months are not cheap. The price you quoted seems pretty normal.
Old Jan 19, 18, 6:50 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Bonvoy PLAT, Fairmont PLAT, Priority Pass
Florida & Louisiana

Originally Posted by FLYMSY View Post
Sorry to tell you, but airline ticket prices during the summer months are not cheap. The price you quoted seems pretty normal.
Am seeing fares of 635 GBP in July on AA LGW-CLT-TPA & rtn. Alternates incl. MCO, RSW
My advice? Forget about MIA unless you really want to do a lot of driving on toll roads. Get a map and figure out what carriers you prefer (if any?)I have done the drive from Orlando to New Orleans and its lovely i.e. very scenic, esp, around Pensacola.
Be aware that auto rentals in FL can be tricky. Unlimited miles is standard - but - some specify you can't drive out of state.
Old Jan 20, 18, 6:57 am
Moderator, Trip Reports

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Welcome to flyertalk alexiskami

I recommend using the Google Flights tool (Google.com/Flights) it allows you to put in a departure without a destination. You can enter LON and move the map around the US to see what the prices are on any date.

Good luck.
Old Feb 5, 18, 10:19 am

How familiar are you with driving in the US? It seems to me that most Europeans underestimate the distances involved from one state to another - you're talking about at least one very full day, or more likely two, of driving. Personally I'd forget about the car and fly from city to city. Flights are generally cheap from Florida to New Orleans, so for the cost of one or two nights' parking at a New Orleans hotel, you could pay for the flight. And as others have mentioned, south Florida has a lot of tolls. I definitely wouldn't drive all the way to IAH (lot of construction and traffic along the way) to catch an international flight.

Looks like BA has some reasonable prices for the nonstops if you are okay with not using Star. I would suggest reversing your itinerary - fly into MSY (the customs will be much faster and easier there) and out of MIA or FLL. BA flies nonstop LHR to MSY on Monday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, and Saturday during the summer.
Old Feb 5, 18, 10:39 am

Programs: British Airways Gold
If you restrict yourself to one alliance then you may pay more than necessary. Sometimes one will be cheaper and sometimes another

Search this Thread