Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > South
Reload this Page >

FLL terminal to terminal airside

Old Sep 20, 17, 11:16 am
Original Poster

Programs: United, American, Singapore Air, Southwest

Following a cruise in November, I will be flying AA from FLL to home in TUS. Since I have passes to the UA Club lounge and plenty of time, can I go from the AA terminal (T3) to the UA terminal (T1) airside so as to access the lounge after I check in with AA? If not, how easy is it to transfer between terminals?
Old Sep 20, 17, 11:20 am

Programs: AA
There is no airside connection between T1 and T3. You'll have to clear security at both terminals.

Also, be aware that you can't check baggage at FLL any earlier than 4 hours before your flight. If your cruise line participates in one of the luggage programs, it may be easier to use that in order to bypass having to check in at FLL as it can be more than a bit of a mess on cruise days.
Old Sep 25, 17, 4:43 am

As wrp96 notes, there aren't airside connections. But, the terminals are fairly close. According to the Measure Distance tool on Google Maps, it's about 1,500 feet (456 meters) between the two.

There is a shuttle bus that runs between the terminals. But, in my experience it's quicker to walk.

Keep in mind that FLL can be a zoo in the middle of the day when cruises return to port. It's not unusual to have over 10,000 passengers disembarking ships in a single day. While not all of those people head directly to the airport, it does get crazy.

For example, three ships return to Port Everglades this Saturday (9/30):
  • RCCL Harmony of the Seas: 5,494 passengers
  • Carnival Splendor: 3,006 passengers
  • Carnival Conquest: 2,974 passengers
  • Total: 11,474 passengers (based on double occupancy)

If you decide to hop between terminals, make sure you factor in the potential for long waits at TSA checkpoints.
Old Oct 10, 17, 2:50 am

Programs: DL Skymiles KE Skypass
Originally Posted by writerguyfl View Post
As wrp96 notes, there aren't airside connections. But, the terminals are fairly close. According to the Measure Distance tool on Google Maps, it's about 1,500 feet (456 meters) between the two.

There is a shuttle bus that runs between the terminals. But, in my experience it's quicker to walk.

Keep in mind that FLL can be a zoo in the middle of the day when cruises return to port. It's not unusual to have over 10,000 passengers disembarking ships in a single day. While not all of those people head directly to the airport, it does get crazy.

For example, three ships return to Port Everglades this Saturday (9/30):
  • RCCL Harmony of the Seas: 5,494 passengers
  • Carnival Splendor: 3,006 passengers
  • Carnival Conquest: 2,974 passengers
  • Total: 11,474 passengers (based on double occupancy)

If you decide to hop between terminals, make sure you factor in the potential for long waits at TSA checkpoints.
And in November, there are usually more ships than the three mentioned here as Princess, Holland America, and some smaller cruise lines also dock during this time. Port Everglades has room for up to 9 ships not including the daily Baleria Express "ferry" to the Bahamas.

Also, remember that there is another major cruise ship port in Miami that has room for six large ships as well. Not all people fly out of FLL from PE and a lot use FLL from Port of Miami as well.

Another factor not mentioned by wrp96 is that TSA will not let you through the security checkpoint more than 2 hours before your scheduled departure time on cruise days (even to go to a lounge) as capacity is limited inside the terminals. So, I would just either hang out a little longer on the ship or visit one of the shopping centers along SE 17th Street Causeway for restaurants/bars.
Old Oct 12, 17, 12:37 am

Originally Posted by teddybear99 View Post
And in November, there are usually more ships than the three mentioned here as Princess, Holland America, and some smaller cruise lines also dock during this time. Port Everglades has room for up to 9 ships not including the daily Baleria Express "ferry" to the Bahamas.
Good point. The official Port Everglades website is not user-friendly, so I only looked at the upcoming Saturday. I'm certain you are correct that it will be busier in November. Plus, your point about the Port of Miami is a valid on, as well.

Random Trivia: The record for the most cruise passengers in a single day at Port Everglades was 54,700 in March 2016. The previous record had been 53,485 in December 2015. Those figures include both arriving and department passengers.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/business...314-story.html
Old Dec 9, 17, 2:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United, American, Singapore Air, Southwest
Thank you all. Taking heed of advice, we did a disembarkation tour that took up most of the excess time and that proved to have been a good decision.

Search this Thread