FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   South (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/south-454/)
-   -   Memphis safety (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/south/1862583-memphis-safety.html)

tcook052 Aug 22, 2017 5:01 pm

Memphis safety

I'm considering a trip to Memphis in April and hadn't given safety too much thought until reading up on the city and noting the city's homicide rate is one of the highest in the U.S. and 4 times what it is in NYC according to this article so wanted to ask here whether it's something to be concerned about?

I'm staying downtown for the most part except for a visit to Graceland during a 4-night stay.

Blumie Aug 23, 2017 1:06 pm

It's fine.

writerguyfl Aug 23, 2017 3:04 pm

From the article:
"Argument is the number 1 motive this year... A third of homicides, 30... Started with an argument... One over five dollars... Another between two brothers arguing who was the better parent."
So, avoid arguing with anyone.
"The second most common motive is robbery. 18 homicides this year began with a robbery. Up 25 percent from last year. Scott says more people are resisting."
If you get robbed, just give up your valuables.
"Chances are you'll know your killer... 71 percent this year have."
Assuming you don't know anyone in Memphis, the odds are on your side.

I'm not trying to make light of murder. But, there's really no reason to avoid any city in the United States in fear of getting killed. Just use common sense, as you should whenever you're in an unfamiliar area.

manneca Aug 23, 2017 3:37 pm

I lived in Memphis for 9 years and lived to tell about it. Be aware of where you are. At night downtown (Beale to hotels) should be fine. Overton Square and Cooper-Young should also be OK at night for walking (within). I have wandered around in the daytime in places I really shouldn't be.

Don't miss the Civil Rights Museum at the Lorraine Motel (even if you're not from the US). Central BBQ has a restaurant nearby if you're hungry then.

A trip to Clarksdale would be great, particularly if its Juke Joint weekend (generally mid April IIRC). Hotels for that weekend are difficult to come by (in Clarksdale).

I was in Columbia MO for the eclipse a couple of days ago. Ate at a restaurant in Jefferson City and the waiter talked about how dangerous Columbia is. My take is generally if you stay in tourist areas and don't get drunk you'll be fine almost anywhere.

tcook052 Aug 23, 2017 6:42 pm

Originally Posted by writerguyfl (Post 28727252)
I'm not trying to make light of murder. But, there's really no reason to avoid any city in the United States in fear of getting killed. Just use common sense, as you should whenever you're in an unfamiliar area.

Thanks for the replies. I'm not a nervous traveller and have wandered all over big cities like NYC without feeling unsafe but the murder rate headlines made be pause for some thought, that's all. I look forward to all Memphis has to offer. ^

MarkOK Aug 24, 2017 4:52 pm

I love memphis. There are parts of the city that are poor and crime ridden, but they are in out of way neighborhoods, anywhere a tourist goes is safe enough not to worry about. I think Beale street is overrated though, I prefer Overton square for food and scene. The woodruff fontaine house is also worth a visit.

tcook052 Aug 24, 2017 9:46 pm

Originally Posted by MarkOK (Post 28732286)
I love memphis. There are parts of the city that are poor and crime ridden, but they are in out of way neighborhoods, anywhere a tourist goes is safe enough not to worry about. I think Beale street is overrated though, I prefer Overton square for food and scene. The woodruff fontaine house is also worth a visit.

I was in Austin late last year and really liked their Sixth Street entertainment district with its string of bars and restaurants so look forward to giving Beale Street a try but will make sure to arrive at Overton Square on an empty stomach.

MarkOK Aug 25, 2017 7:59 am

Have fun! Beale street is a must go-to for any first time Memphis traveler - a lot of people love it. But like a lot of tourist streets, there is a far share of establishments on Beale street that get by with less-than-inspiring food and when they are slow (like weekday nights), a lot of the restaurants have barkers outside trying to get you to step-in which I find uttery annoying. Overton square is more of a local-spot and though there are only a few blocks there, the restaurants are terrific and the restaurant/music/bar scene caters to more varied tastes.

aquamarinesteph Sep 14, 2017 11:33 pm

Memphis is great! Just use the same common sense precautions you use in any major US city. You'll be fine. Have a great trip!

Putnik Oct 15, 2017 1:06 pm

Don't go into Frayser