Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > South
Reload this Page >

How to manage one way car rental to airport

Old May 29, 17, 2:40 pm
Original Poster

I live near PNS(Pensacola) airport, but I've chosen to fly out of FLL (Fort Lauderdale) to get take advantage of cheaper airfares to Ecuador. What is the cheapest way to get one way car rentals for departure and arrival. Often the rental companies stick it to you with extra fees for the one way.

Thanks for helping,
Allen99
Old May 30, 17, 12:44 am

Programs: DL DM MM; Hilton Diamond; Hertz 5*
There are a lot of variables - car type, dates, status etc. I'd start with a general OTA like Expedia or Orbitz or maybe Autoslash and see what they show. Not every company has a one way fee every time. Then look at a roundtrip (depending on how long you will be gone). Airport parking would be high but a local hotel with a shuttle might be cheap and a roundtrip might be cheaper than two one ways.
Old May 30, 17, 5:34 am

Programs: Celebrity Elite Plus, RCCL Diamond, Princess Platinum, Carlson Gold, IHG Platinum, Hilton Diamond
If you have a Costco membership, have a look at their excellent rental car pricing (including second driver for free). We often do one-way rentals between Orlando and Ft. Lauderdale or Miami when we are taking a cruise. We've had one-way rentals for compacts for around $38-40 dollars for 24 hours, and just recently had a 7 passenger mini-van for a total of $58. Reserve, then keep checking on the pricing, and keep on rebooking until the day before pick-up ... the van started at $103, then went down to $70 and finally to $58. This one was with Budget, but we've had them with Avis and others. Often you'll also get better pricing if you're picking up from a local/neighborhood office rather than at the airport.

Also: Florida is one of the few states where one-way rentals often don't have any extra fee involved.
Old Jun 2, 17, 7:42 pm

Originally Posted by Tenerife View Post
Also: Florida is one of the few states where one-way rentals often don't have any extra fee involved.
This is very true in my experience. I don't own a car but travel between my home in Fort Lauderdale and the Orlando area multiple times each year. I never need the car once I'm in Orlando, so I always do two one-way rentals.

I just returned this morning from a trip. The trip up cost $5.95 plus taxes/fees for an intermediate with Alamo. The return trip was $36 plus taxes/fees for an economy with Avis.
Old Jun 2, 17, 8:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by writerguyfl View Post
This is very true in my experience. I don't own a car but travel between my home in Fort Lauderdale and the Orlando area multiple times each year. I never need the car once I'm in Orlando, so I always do two one-way rentals.

I just returned this morning from a trip. The trip up cost $5.95 plus taxes/fees for an intermediate with Alamo. The return trip was $36 plus taxes/fees for an economy with Avis.
Since you don't own a car, what do you do for third-party liability insurance? Do you have a non-owned-auto liability policy? Do you purchase SLI from the rental-car company each time you rent?
Old Jun 3, 17, 9:08 pm

Originally Posted by guv1976 View Post
Since you don't own a car, what do you do for third-party liability insurance? Do you have a non-owned-auto liability policy? Do you purchase SLI from the rental-car company each time you rent?
I always purchase coverage directly from the rental company. That means I overpay, but the convenience factor makes up for that in my mind.

Search this Thread